shoulder pain - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

shoulder pain

Lately (last month or so) when I do any kind of fly(free weights/freemotion/machine) i get shoulder pain. it doesnt hurt when I am actually lifting, but right when I stop a "dull" shooting pain goes across the front of my shoudler and then goes away. I used to do machine fly's where you use your forearms on pads, but my new gym doesnt have that.. so there is going to be more pressure on my shoulders.

any thoughts?

-2010 TTCamaro SS
-2006 Vortech C6 Z06
-1993 RX7, LS1 powered (sold)
-1994 1000+hp Turbo Camaro (sold)
www.momentumautosports.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Sir Clavin

Man I get that same type of pain in my right shoulder. I had it happen to me a few years ago during school and some days it was worse than others. I have been lifting pretty hard for the last six months and recently it started happening again. I'm not exactly sure what sparked it, but it is most noticeable for me during military press.. not so much chest workouts. I find that a more extensive warmup on that day makes it a whole lot better.

Btw, I was looking at a fitness mag the other day and saw a guy in an ad named Alec Musser. Oddly, the face looked similar to yours. Any relation?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 07:00 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Probably a pinched nerve...
Have your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/what ever massage your shoulder to try and work the nerve out.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 07:00 PM
mannish boy

rotator cuff... you need to do some rotator cuff exercises... that shit doesn't get better!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90StangLX5.0
Probably a pinched nerve...
Have your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/what ever massage your shoulder to try and work the nerve out.
Pay an Asian to do it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

isnt it odd that it doesnt hurt when i am actually lifting? only after? still think its rotator cuff? what are some decent rotator cuff excerises. I know I pulled a muscle in there a few years back.

ls1haha-
no relation that I know of!

-2010 TTCamaro SS
-2006 Vortech C6 Z06
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:46 PM
D
Sofa Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Pay an Asian to do it.
Asian persuasion.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Sir Clavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordonMusser
isnt it odd that it doesnt hurt when i am actually lifting? only after? still think its rotator cuff? what are some decent rotator cuff excerises. I know I pulled a muscle in there a few years back.

ls1haha-
no relation that I know of!
I swear it is your long lost other brother. I'm going to take a pic of the magazine page and post up.

Last edited by [CS]ls1haha; 08-14-2006 at 10:42 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:16 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Could be rotator cuff. I had surgery to repair my right shoulder in December to fix a tear. Plus they shaved down my acromium to give it more room. I still get a dull pain at the place of tear that will extend into my pec. Also when I work out chest I notice it is a little tight in that specific area as opposed to the other side of my chest. I don't do shoulder presses anymore as I was told it is bad for the cuff and I only do military press with free weights and nothing too strenous as I don't want to push it. Even being 8 months out from surgery, I am not completely pain free and still do my stretching/strenghtening exercises. I use a theraband (large rubberband like cord) Im sure you can use light dumbells and have the same effect. Just do a search on rotator cuff exercises. Im sure its nothing as serious as mine. You may have some impingement or tendinitis. Mine was a big tear and when I would try to move my arm out to my side it would get "stuck" midways up.

Good luck and I hope that helps a bit. Take care of your shoulder. Rehab from surgery sucks big donkey balls. My shoulder was immobilized in a sling for 1 month and I had absolutely no range of motion when therapy began. Arm came out of the sling and wouldnt move in either direction. Stuck in the same position from the elbow to my shoulder. 4 months later I was released from therapy.

Karen

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

thanks for the info guys. I saw my Doc this morning, and he doesnt think its serious. wants me to see a physical therapist. ill let you know how it pans out.

-2010 TTCamaro SS
-2006 Vortech C6 Z06
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Very Interesting

stop jerking off so much
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Worship me

Train your shoulders. I avoid military press (behind the neck) like the plague though. I do overhead press, in front of your face, flys and front raises. I injured the shit out of my shoulder two years ago in football and it haunted me for a long time until I really started to train it hard and then it all went away.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

I got the same pain in my right shoulder after doing a burnout on bench press. I had to basically take 2 months off of doing bench before it felt good. Hopefully you just strained something like I think I did, and didn't tear anything. It seems stuff like this happens when you use bars instead of free weights.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Lifer

Where exactly is the pain? Down the front of the anterior deltoid? Or laterally across the top of the shoulder? Try the following to check the strength of your SITS muscle group (rotator cuff):

1. Put your arms straight out in front of you parallel to the ground. Point your thumbs to the ground then move your arms laterally 45 degrees. Have someone push down on your arms as you resist. If this reproduces the pain then it is your supraspinatus muscle or its tendon. This muscle keeps the humerus (arm bone) from falling out of the shoulder socket.
2. Put your arms at your sides pointing the fingers at the ground. Flex your elbows to 90 degrees with your forearms parallel to the ground. Your thumbs should be to the sky. Have someone push from the outside to in on the backs of your hands while you resist. If this reproduces the pain then the muscle injured is the infraspinatus or teres minor or their tendons. These muscles runs from the back of shoulder blade to the back of the humerus.
3. Using the same position as above, have someone push outward on your palms while you resist. If this repoduces the pain then the injured muscle is the subscapularis or its tendon. This muscle runs from the underside of the shoulder blade to the front of the humerus.

Some good info can be found here...
http://www.nspainc.com/journal7.htm
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Time Served

bursitis
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 10:18 PM
T-MINUS

I've been nervous to get back in a weight room due to my right shoulder. Whenever I play either football or softball and I throw on a regular basis the pain comes on and stays for a good amount of time, similar to tendonitous (sp?) but it is enough to cause poor sleep. Pretty sure it is rotator cuff damage just based on symptons and prior sports activities.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Time Served

again...busitis(sp?)
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Lifer

Subacromial (subdeltoid) bursitis:
The subacromial bursa lies between the acromion and the rotator cuff. It cushions the coracoacromial ligament from the supraspinatus muscle. When the arm is resting at the side, the bursa protrudes laterally from beneath the acromion. When the arm is abducted, it rolls medially beneath the bone. Subacromial bursitis is frequently associated with supraspinatus tendonitis because inflammation extends from one structure to the next. Repetitive activities with an elevated arm most frequently cause inflammation of the bursae. Examples of this include frequent pitching of a baseball or lifting luggage overhead. Less commonly, a primary process, such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or tuberculosis, may lead to bursitis. Patients often exhibit tenderness over the greater trochanter. Difficulty in abduction may occur, specifically from 70-100 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement