Running my ass off - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Running my ass off

This morning was the first day of turning myself into a runner. Ok, that's not exactly right. I'll never be a runner so much as a sasquatch that's hard to catch. My wrists are as big around a fucking coke cans, lol. Weighed in at 265 even this morning.

Anywho. I got up with the sun and trucked it around my neighborhood starting with this program:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I found the 60 second jog/90 second fast walk thing to be very doable, though I was getting lapped by the local high school's cross country running team. Fuckin' skinny brats.

I'm also choosing today to go cold turkey on Dr. Pepper, which is like crack to me. That is going to fuckin' suck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Lifer

gotta do watcha gotta do....

MEMO
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:05 AM
blank

Keep it up and it will pay off. I started running 4 months ago. At first I could barely run 1.5 at about 5mph. Now im running 4 miles, 5 days a week at about 7 mph. I fell great

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0LiterRiceEater
Keep it up and it will pay off. I started running 4 months ago. At first I could barely run 1.5 at about 5mph. Now im running 4 miles, 5 days a week at about 7 mph. I fell great
No shit? That's awesome. Just out of curiosity, what shoes are you wearing? I'm just sportin' my Nike basketball shoes that I play in a couple times a week, and I don't have any complaints so far. The longer I keep it up though, the more I think I'm gonna have to get some running-specific kicks.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Lifer

youre really going to need some running shoes...because you will ruin the basketball shoes and they will be very uncomforatable. try those new nike air max 180s

Cowboys to the Super Bowl!!!!!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:16 AM
African Booty Scratcher

my wife runs marathons, she gets her shoes at "run on"

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Yeah, I figured I'd toast the new B-ball shoes if I keep wearing them. I know it depends on a ton of different factors, so I'll probably be going to try on some runners pretty quick.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Lifer

i always have used the nike shox...they get the job done...but i am going to change over to the 180s soon.

post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:25 AM
Racist....that means you!

Thumbs up

Good for you, bro!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Lifer

Every person's feet fit differently into different brand shoes (thank god). I use Asics Gel running shoes and they fit perfectly, but nike and new balance kill different parts of my feet.

Keep it up. I used to run way back in middle school and the beginning of high school, but fell off; now I'm starting my graduate degree and got back into it. I'm supposedly training for a 1/2 marathon, but started training about 3 months late and the race is in 3 weeks , so I may not be able to do it this year .

Anyway, you'll get up to speed pretty fast.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Holy shit, those Nike 180's are $100-$120!

Only time I'd pay that much for shoes is my old school Air Jordans, lol.

Apparently the shoe homos are all psyched about 'em though...
http://www.nicekicks.com/nike-air-max-180.php
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:04 AM
Racist....that means you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE

Believe me dude, good shoes are worth every penny if you are running enough. Concrete streets+your size=fucked up joints
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Believe me dude, good shoes are worth every penny if you are running enough. Concrete streets+your size=fucked up joints
Yup at 260-270, you may not feel it for a few outings, but shin splints, and knee/ankle pain is in your future. I tried to run for a while, just ended up bored with it, but I got some good Shox running shoes. Not the best running shoes, but made a world of difference.
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
Yup at 260-270, you may not feel it for a few outings, but shin splints, and knee/ankle pain is in your future. I tried to run for a while, just ended up bored with it, but I got some good Shox running shoes. Not the best running shoes, but made a world of difference.

I'll keep that in mind. After years of kung fu and lifting weight, I'm pretty much used to the pain.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Yeah, I figured I'd toast the new B-ball shoes if I keep wearing them. I know it depends on a ton of different factors, so I'll probably be going to try on some runners pretty quick.
the place 'run on' elvis mentioned will also look at the characterisitics of your feet and tell you which shoe would be best for you. luke's locker in uptown will also do the same. new shoes, stretching, and slowly easing into it (the coolrunners couch to 5k you mentioned) did wonders for me. i'm stubborn and just started going 2 miles everyday after not running in years. within a couple weeks my whole body was killing me.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:16 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Blake, good find. I lift, but don't run. I've tried to get into it, but never make time for it, so I fail.

This thread, combined with the thread about the dad and his paralyzed son, have motivated me even more.

I only have Tues/Thurs. classes this semester (starting in two weeks). I'm going to try this plan also, now that I will have the free time.

Good luck!
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
within a couple weeks my whole body was killing me.
Shit, that's encouraging, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
I'm going to try this plan also, now that I will have the free time.
Cool! Good luck to you too sir.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Shit, that's encouraging, lol.
blake, i guess i worded that poorly. when i first started i just started running 2 miles a day for 16 days on shitty old shoes and nearly killed myself. then i found the program you mentioned, got some new shoes, and concentrated a lot more on stretching, months later no worries.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Worship me

I did 2.75 miles this morning. Tons of fun!!
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
blake, i guess i worded that poorly. when i first started i just started running 2 miles a day for 16 days on shitty old shoes and nearly killed myself. then i found the program you mentioned, got some new shoes, and concentrated a lot more on stretching, months later no worries.
Right on, that's good to hear.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 01:49 PM
Lifer

I used to be in the same boat. When I first started running I was at 253lbs. If I was you, I wouldnt just start running like you're doing. Go to the local track and run the straight-aways and walk the curves, or if you're not at the track just walk for 2 minutes and run for about 30 seconds, and do it like that until you're tired. If you start out running the whole time, you'll want to give up and you'll burn out quick since your body hasnt adapted to it. You want to slowly adjust your body to where it'll be easier on your joints, legs, breathing, etc... I can go to the track now and run a mile like nothing, but when I started out, 1 lap would KILL ME!! lol.

Oh and cutting out the DrPeppers is hard, but trust me, once you cut your sodas you'll feel 100% better in the mornings. I used to drink 3-4 sodas a day and now I drink maybe 1 or 2 Diet Dr. Peppers a week. I read that you can gain 15-20lbs a year drinking sodas alone (Not diet sodas). Either/Or, water is a lot better for you. Oh and on days when you dont feel like running, just go to the track and walk. Theres nothing wrong with that, and by the time you leave the track, you'll feel better vs. not going at all.

Consitency, it pays off..
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sec302
I used to be in the same boat. When I first started running I was at 253lbs. If I was you, I wouldnt just start running like you're doing. Go to the local track and run the straight-aways and walk the curves, or if you're not at the track just walk for 2 minutes and run for about 30 seconds, and do it like that until you're tired. If you start out running the whole time, you'll want to give up and you'll burn out quick since your body hasnt adapted to it. You want to slowly adjust your body to where it'll be easier on your joints, legs, breathing, etc...
Click that link in my first post. Good program for easing yourself into it. Sounds like you're already there though.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 04:52 PM
blank

Quote:
No shit? That's awesome. Just out of curiosity, what shoes are you wearing? I'm just sportin' my Nike basketball shoes that I play in a couple times a week, and I don't have any complaints so far. The longer I keep it up though, the more I think I'm gonna have to get some running-specific kicks.
I like Asics but new Nike 360 is supposed to be the heat. What ever works for you.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Insane In The Membrane

Quote:
Go get yourself some Brooks running shoes, they can be found at Run On or any other running store.

On a mission for commission
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-15-2006, 08:50 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Quote:
This morning was the first day of turning myself into a runner. Ok, that's not exactly right. I'll never be a runner so much as a sasquatch that's hard to catch. My wrists are as big around a fucking coke cans, lol. Weighed in at 265 even this morning.

Anywho. I got up with the sun and trucked it around my neighborhood starting with this program:

I found the 60 second jog/90 second fast walk thing to be very doable, though I was getting lapped by the local high school's cross country running team. Fuckin' skinny brats.

I'm also choosing today to go cold turkey on Dr. Pepper, which is like crack to me. That is going to fuckin' suck.
Congrats on your innitiative!

Doo your footsies a favor and go get some true running shoes. You won't wear out your b-ball shoes and you will be less likely to develop nagging lower leg injuries like plantar fasciitis or shin splints. Once those set in it is hell trying to get rid of them.

My recommendtion is to stay away from shox. They are great fashion shoes. I own several pairs but I would never ever run on them. The bottom platform is too stiff and people have a tendency to roll their ankles in them. Plus some types tend to have a narrow width that won't start to hurt til after you tried running in them. You can find far better shoes for running with a cheaper pricetag.

Go with what fits and is most comfortable to your feet. Run on is a great suggestion. So is Luke's Locker. Those stores have trained staff (who are runners as well) who will look at your feet and your gait and get you fitted with the right type of shoe. I'm an overpronator so I tend to need shoes with cushioning and stability. They are also helpful in explaining the differences in shoes.

I run in a pair of Adidas trail shoes, Asics, and a Saucony pair.
Good luck!

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Thanks for that Frogger!

It didn't take much convincing... my birthday is next week, and I'm gonna see if I can lobby for a good pair of running shoes and an ipod.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Lifer

oh yea most definately need an ipod...that will help time fly by.

post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:

I decided that I was going to start running using that same program a year ago. I did it for about two weeks and noticed that I was having a lot of pain behind my heel. I spoke with a friend of mine that is one of the physical therapists for Michigan's football team. Here is what he told me:

"People your size should not run. Most of the football players on our team shouldn't, but they do and they will all have knee or hip problems later in life. Don't do it."

He said that if I insisted on doing it that I should be sure to stretch really good before and after running and that if there is pain then I should stop. I took a couple of weeks off and then tried again with the same results. I now get my cardio on an eliptical instead

I am 6'3" and weighed about 265 at the time.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
BOOMER SOONER!

I bought some Nike Hurachi's a couple weeks ago, feel tons better than running in the Shox.

http://niketown.nike.com/niketown/ca...20&catalogId=1
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Lifer

That running program is great. I got into a car wreck and haven't been able to run in almost 6 months so I'm having to start all over and I'm following that program. I can't wait until I'm running 4 miles a day again.

Also, I went to Run On a few years and they suggested I wear Asics Kayano's. They're the best running shoe I've ever owned. They're expensive ($140 usually) but sometimes you can find them on sale. I paid $99 for my last pair through Foot Locker.
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Lifer

Look at New Balance, they have some of the best running/cross-training shoes available. Also, they come in wider sizes than Nike and most other running/cross-training shoes.
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Baller

OK...dont get SHOX...they're ok for some people...but they're mainly just for looks. Do you have any foot problems first of all? Like do you over pronate...or supinate at all? Do you have any arch problems? Honestly, you cant pick out a show without knowing that. I would suggest ASICS for running. The Nike 360's aren't bad, but people often complain about their feet falling asleep, and they're honestly not quite a good as asics. Assuming you get the right pair. The 1110's are kinda the basic series. If you have pronation problems you may wanna try the 2110's. The Kayano's are the shit. They're pretty soft...so good for a slow paced run like you're doing. However its really gotta match your arch to be effective.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:

thou not the same, why dont you just do diet. 0 cal 0 carb/sugar 0 fat, only 55mg of sodium per can.
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:12 AM
We lost one.....

Too bad the new nike 360 will be around $160! I stopped running back in 01 when the air max was a high $120 but I could run all day in them. Went thru 4 pairs. Hopefully I can pickup a pair of 360's when they turn up at the outlet. I refuse to pay that much for a pair of shoes.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 11:07 PM
byc
The Beer Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sec302
I used to be in the same boat. When I first started running I was at 253lbs. If I was you, I wouldnt just start running like you're doing. Go to the local track and run the straight-aways and walk the curves, or if you're not at the track just walk for 2 minutes and run for about 30 seconds, and do it like that until you're tired. If you start out running the whole time, you'll want to give up and you'll burn out quick since your body hasnt adapted to it. You want to slowly adjust your body to where it'll be easier on your joints, legs, breathing, etc... I can go to the track now and run a mile like nothing, but when I started out, 1 lap would KILL ME!! lol.

Oh and cutting out the DrPeppers is hard, but trust me, once you cut your sodas you'll feel 100% better in the mornings. I used to drink 3-4 sodas a day and now I drink maybe 1 or 2 Diet Dr. Peppers a week. I read that you can gain 15-20lbs a year drinking sodas alone (Not diet sodas). Either/Or, water is a lot better for you. Oh and on days when you dont feel like running, just go to the track and walk. Theres nothing wrong with that, and by the time you leave the track, you'll feel better vs. not going at all.

Consitency, it pays off..

Exactly what he said, cut out the sodas and you really should get some running shoes. When I started I weighed 300 lbs, now I havent had a coke in 3 years and weigh 235 and lift also 3-4 times a week, and have picked up my running to 12 miles a week. Want to get down to 225.
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 12:36 AM
Never settle always excel

Be careful buying shoes I can no longer use Nike Air type shoes because they allow my foot to continue sinking after my leg is traveling up which has in the past caused me to pull the snot out of my calf and then my achilles. I now use Reebok or New Balance, pace yourself and you will do great.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 11:59 AM
dead

my favorite running shoe ever:

super comfortable and durable. best part... VERY cheap.
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Baller

I used to think that 160 was high for a shoe...then i realized i used them nearly everyday. And compared to paying 100 for a pair of jeans that i wear once a week, or around the same for decent dress pants....it just started making more sense to spend that much on a shoe. Shoes can help exponentially in a workout. If they correct any arch or imperfection in your running cycle, you're going to notice a huge difference.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
tex
Lifer

Blake, do it right the first time, go to Luke's on University, it's closest to you. They'll cost a little more, but they'll put you in the right shoe. After the first time, you'll know what's best for your foot and stride, and then you can find them cheaper online.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Wolverines!!!

Quote:

combat boots buddy
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Big "foot"

Thanks for all the added info everybody!

I'm still workin at it. I had to do week 1 twice just to continue to ease into it. My parents did get me the ipod, and shit that helps with the mental part. It's also easy to use the ipod to time the run/walk portions of this program.

I still need the shoes (probably going to Luke's this weekend), but so far, no pain in the shins or feet. I dunno about pronate or whatever, but I have a great arch. I'm sure Luke's will help me figure it out.

I really have ditched the Dr. Pepper, with a handfull of Diet Dr. Peppers thrown in there when I really needed something flavored (don't like tea), and even then, I didn't really want to finish them, so that's good. I've lost 5 pounds so far, and that's with a couple fantastic mexican food dinners thrown in there. Fuck cold turkey, gimmie warm queso. But all things considered, everything is working great. I'm sure the new shoes will be like heaven, which will only encourage me more.

Thanks again, and I'll continue to update.

post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
I used to think that 160 was high for a shoe...then i realized i used them nearly everyday. And compared to paying 100 for a pair of jeans that i wear once a week, or around the same for decent dress pants....it just started making more sense to spend that much on a shoe. Shoes can help exponentially in a workout. If they correct any arch or imperfection in your running cycle, you're going to notice a huge difference.
Good running shoes are expensive, however my Mizunos aren't anywhere near that expensive.

Good to hear its starting to work for ya Blake. With the ipod you will eventually forget to stop running!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement