Help, putting workout and diet routine together. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Help, putting workout and diet routine together.

Ok,My main goal is to lose as mutch weight as possible and as quick as possible but also make it a daily routine so that i just dont lose the weight but keep it off. I work retail and have a complicated schedule. I wake up late and go to sleep late. I normally dont eat breakfast but I should start waking up a little earlier and make time to work out and eat a healthy breakfast. What's your daily routine? What diet are you on? Just trying to get different ideas to see what I think will im doing wrong or what i am not doing. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:00 PM
We lost one.....

Follow exactly, if you can make it thru all reps in the last set then you need to add more weight, this is to muscle failure. This is what I've been doing for months to change me from a disgusting fatbody to a much less disgusting fatbody.
Monday: Chest, Biceps
Bench Press(free weights,barbell), 3sets,6reps max weight intense
training style, 5 minute rest between sets fast-twitch fibers
Incline press(free weights,barbell) 2sets, 10 reps, sub max weight,
normal speed, 3min rest between sets intermediate fibers
Vertical bench press(machine) 1 set 20 reps, slow reps under constant
tension slow-twitch fibers
Barbell curls(shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6reps
Dumbell curls (seated) 2 sets 10 reps
EZ-barbell curls (narrow grip) 1 set 20 reps
Tuesday: Legs
Squats (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps
Leg press (machine) 2 sets 10 reps
Hack squats (machine) 1 set 20 reps
Wednesday off

Thursday:Shoulders, Triceps
Behind the neck press(free weights, barbell) 3sets 6 reps
Standing upright rows(free weights EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps
Front overhead press/Shoulder press(machine) 1 set 20 reps
Lying triceps press(free weights,EZ-barbell) 3 sets 6 reps
Overhead triceps press(free weights,EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps
Triceps pushdown/dip machine(machine,cable) 1 set 20 reps
Friday: Back, Calves
Front latpulldown(machine,shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6 reps
Seated cable rows(machine,narrow grip) 2 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell rows(one arm at a time) 1 set 20 reps
Standing calf raises(machine) 3 sets 6 reps
Seated calf raises(machine) 2 sets 10 reps
Bend-over calf raises(machine) 1 set 20 reps
Saturday: off
Sunday: off
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Time Served

Cardio first thing in the monring on an empty stomach eat a big breakfast (healthy) 6:30 am snack at 10:00 lunch 12:00 (smaller than breakfast) another snack 3:00 small healthy dinner 2 hours before bed... 1 1/2 gallons of water a day. Cut out the cokes and sweets should see a change pretty quick...

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted
Cardio first thing in the monring on an empty stomach eat a big breakfast (healthy) 6:30 am snack at 10:00 lunch 12:00 (smaller than breakfast) another snack 3:00 small healthy dinner 2 hours before bed... 1 1/2 gallons of water a day. Cut out the cokes and sweets should see a change pretty quick...

Yea, the sweets and coke are gone and beer. That is how i started losing some weight. But like I said, i do want to make it a daily routine. What kind of big breakfast is concidered healthy? What are some healthy snacks? Thanks for help so far.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

why such few reps on the main mass movements? if you want Max growth by stimulating muscle hypertrophy, you want to stick to 8-12 reps. 6 reps is fine on a pyramid or if you want nothing but strength..

IMO doing 3 sets of 10-12 on a given EX is better then doing the 3 set 2 set 1 set drop.. doing 20 reps for a mass movement like shoulderpess is counter productive.

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by milks93coupe
Yea, the sweets and coke are gone and beer. That is how i started losing some weight. But like I said, i do want to make it a daily routine. What kind of big breakfast is concidered healthy? What are some healthy snacks? Thanks for help so far.

Big breakfast
4-6 Egg whites scrambled
1/2 greatfriut
bowl oatmeal
protein shake

Snacks
any kind of fruit
protien bars
almonds
peanut butter
etc.

if you do cheat on a meal make sure your next one is high in fiber.. The less time the bad food stays in your system the less damage it will cause.

low carb protein shake right before bed
the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Hired Hand

For losing weight your diet should be your primary concern. Without the proper nutrition plan, you can bust your ass in the gym and not lose a pound. Cardio should also be a staple in your routine when trimming down. Get at least 20 minutes 4-6 times per week.

Also realize that the faster you lose the weight, the more likely you are to put it right back on, and more. Patience and self control are the two most imprtant aspects of weight loss.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
For losing weight your diet should be your primary concern. Without the proper nutrition plan, you can bust your ass in the gym and not lose a pound. Cardio should also be a staple in your routine when trimming down. Get at least 20 minutes 4-6 times per week.

Also realize that the faster you lose the weight, the more likely you are to put it right back on, and more. Patience and self control are the two most imprtant aspects of weight loss.

Thanks, you are correct. Did i forget to mention your my favorite mod.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Very Interesting

As far as diet, i'd recommend something along these lines...

Calorie specific, determine how many calories a day you need to maintain your weight, and reduce the number by 500-750.

Most of your intake (about 75 percent) should be lean protein. Chicken, Salmon, Tuna, Turkey, lean beef.
The rest should be split between complex carbs such as, brown rice, veggies, whole wheat breads, etc.
Avoid too many starchy veggies, corn, potatos, etc.
Avoid sugars, even natural fruit based sugars
take a multi-vitamin, as this is far from a balanced diet
Drink a lot of water, at least a gallon a day

This is very vague I know, but taylor it to the things you like.

Avoid fast food, unless you are going with a grilled chicken salad, with a balsamic vinegarette, etc.

Stay away from "low fat", "reduced calorie" foods, and things labeled like this. For now, concentrate on eating more whole foods, and less processed junk. Meats, and fresh veggies are your friend.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
As far as diet, i'd recommend something along these lines...

Calorie specific, determine how many calories a day you need to maintain your weight, and reduce the number by 500-750.

Most of your intake (about 75 percent) should be lean protein. Chicken, Salmon, Tuna, Turkey, lean beef.
The rest should be split between complex carbs such as, brown rice, veggies, whole wheat breads, etc.
Avoid too many starchy veggies, corn, potatos, etc.
Avoid sugars, even natural fruit based sugars
take a multi-vitamin, as this is far from a balanced diet
Drink a lot of water, at least a gallon a day

This is very vague I know, but taylor it to the things you like.

Avoid fast food, unless you are going with a grilled chicken salad, with a balsamic vinegarette, etc.

Stay away from "low fat", "reduced calorie" foods, and things labeled like this. For now, concentrate on eating more whole foods, and less processed junk. Meats, and fresh veggies are your friend.
75% protein is a little high, but definitly get the majority of your calories from protien and complex carbs (I prefer whole wheat pasta). I'd say 50-60% from protein, and the rest from carbs, you've gotta eat enough to have energy, or you're setting yourself up for failure. Healthy eating isn't Atkins, as long as you count calories and stay away from simple sugars (alcohol being the worst), carbs aren't gonna slow your progress. Look at all the tiny chick that live on Big Macs and taco bell, they eat crap all the time, but not all that many calories. On the flip-side though, they aren't woried about muscle tone, and don't realize how much better they'd feel from a well-ballanced diet. If you're gonna restrict your calories, I'd recomend getting a good multivitamin, unless you've studied to be a nutritionist, It's likely that your weigthloss diet will be lacking in a few of the basic nutrients that we need. If you manage to cut out most of the fat, I'd also recommend flax seed oil or some other source of EFA's (essential fatty acids). Too much fat is bad, but your body needs a little unsaturated fat to "grease" the system. Several essential vitamins are fat soluable, so without a little fat, you won't be able to digest them.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Very Interesting

if he's looking to drop a lot of fat and build muscle, i'd say 75 percent protein is about right on.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
if he's looking to drop a lot of fat and build muscle, i'd say 75 percent protein is about right on.

I find that higher protein diets tend to zap energy, as well as motivation. It's not a preferred energy source, and a steady flow of complex carbs will keep the insulin response on a steady line. There is no need to fear good carbs, it keeps brain function up, and keeps the body energized. The problem arises when people eat sugary simple carbs, spike their insulin, and start storing. Even when staying within ones daily caloric limit, a piece of chocolate won't amount to much. To build quality muscle (which you can't do effectively while dieting) the body needs about a gram of protein per body weight. For a 2000 calorie diet, only 50% from protein equates to 250 grams of protein, which is a more than ample amount to facilitate muscular atrophy. At 75% you are talking about 375 grams of protein. Unless you are a 250lb pro bodybuilder who needs all that, the majority is getting flushed through the liver, which is very hard on it. Complex carbs are necessary, not evil.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Very Interesting

the reason being is he wants to lose weight, and this, which I know you are sooooo against, will help put him in a keytosis state, which in turn will help his body burn fat.

I'm not recommending a full on Atkins or even South Beach, as you wouldn't have any of these complex carbs during induction, and very little, less than 25% in stage 2.

I'm recommending for him, to "lose as much weight as possible", a solution that I know will work for him. He will have enough carbs for energy, and the body does burn protein for energy, you just have to get past the first few weeks, where you crave carbs. If he can make it past that on minimal, complex carbs, he'll be just fine, and the higher protein/lower carb intake will allow his body to burn more fat, i.e. ketosis.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Very Interesting

also, tend to keep your Complex Carb intake more towards breakfast, and lunch, I'd recommend no carbs after lunch, as mornings, early afternoon are your energy struggling periods.

Break your meals down into smaller meals, if you are working retail, take your lunch with you, and eat every 2-3 hours smaller portions of what you'd normally eat for a full lunch.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Hired Hand

Your coming at it from a pure quick weight-loss point of view, and I am addressing the long-term solution. Low-carb works great until the weight is gone, you allow yourself to eat again, and you ingest everything in sight from the deprivation. Not only that, the entire time you haven't learned a single thing about maintaining a healthy diet, so you've got no idea how to keep the weight off. I've seen plenty of infomercials promising a quick fix, but no fitness professional in their right mind would suggest dieting like you are purporting. It's a short-term solution to a long-term issue. The weight didn't pile on over night, don't expet it to dissapear theat quick. The reality is that you can add bodyfat quite a bit faster than you can safely and succesfully burn it off.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

Last edited by Big A; 08-08-2006 at 02:53 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Your coming at it from a pure quick weight-loss point of view, and I am addressing the long-term solution. Low-carb works great until the weight is gone, you allow yourself to eat again, and you ingest everything in sight from the deprivation. Not only that, the entire time you haven't learned a single thing about maintaining a healthy diet, so you've got no idea how to keep the weight off. I seen plenty of infomercials promising a quick fix, but no fitness professional in their right mind would suggest dieting like you are purporting. It's a short-term solution to a long-term issue. The weight didn't pile on over night, don't expet it to dissapear theat quick. The reality is that you can add bodyfat quite a bit faster than you can safely and succesfully burn it off.
Actually no, I'm not, if I was, I'd tell him to cut out all carbs, complex or not. Try to stay under 10 grams of carbs a day for as long as he can. But that's not what I'm telling him.

No one is offering a quick fix, I'm just trying to help him tailor his diet, to more of a weight loss, because that's his goal right now. Right, no "fitness" professional would. I'm not offering him solutions to become a body builder, or even get within single digit BF range. It's not what he asked for. He asked for "My main goal is to lose as mutch weight as possible and as quick as possible but also make it a daily routine so that i just dont lose the weight but keep it off."

Once he loses the weight, and gets into a comfortable range, then he can start to tailor the diet to his specific needs. Which is exactly what the Atkins, South Beach, etc propose. You constantly try to battle how terrible they are for you, but induction, and phase 1 is not the goal of the Atkins, it's not what they recommend for life. You obvioiusly need to take some time, and read a little more on the low carb dieting lifestyle, and what the ENTIRE program is about.

He wants to lose weight, that's what I'm recommending for him right now. It works, if he sticks to it. As he approaches a level of weight he's comfortable with, he can start adding back in more carbs. But no one, and I mean NO ONE, not even you Aaron, really enjoys eating high protein, low fat, complex carb diets their entire life. If you did, you wouldn't struggle with alcohol, pizza, etc.

The key here is to get him to a point he's comfortable with himself. Then he can start learning portion control, etc. But trying to teach portion control to someone who doesn't see results and fast, is a waste of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement