I'd run more but my shins hurt... - DFWstangs Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
I'd run more but my shins hurt...

I'm trying to get back in shape, but when I run, my shins start hurting before I even get tired. I know i'm out of shape, but they shouldn't start hurting in a 1/4 of a mile!

How can I fix this?

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:33 AM
oh really?
 
mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: grapevine
Posts: 1,484
you need shoes!!!!!!!!

go to "run on" or luke's locker and get some real running shoes.
don't buy them at the mall. i have some shox running shoes that i love, but i won't run in them cuz they hurt after 3 miles.

i had the same problem when i started running, i couldn't make it to the end of the street in my sketchers lol

'93 hatch
'91 ls1 coupe
'86 yamaha razz - pink, with nitrous
'78 puch maxi-luxe
mind is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Also try running on some softer ground. I quit running on sidewalks and streets just because it was harder on my body. Now I run in the grass or whatever and don't have any problems.

Just something I noticed, I'm by no means a professional.
David is offline  
 
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind
you need shoes!!!!!!!!

go to "run on" or luke's locker and get some real running shoes.
don't buy them at the mall. i have some shox running shoes that i love, but i won't run in them cuz they hurt after 3 miles.

i had the same problem when i started running, i couldn't make it to the end of the street in my sketchers lol
Yea i was wondering that. These are some pretty worn in New Balance. My mom is a personal trainer, so i guess i'll be giving her a hollar and going to the shoe store and getting measured up.

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:42 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 129
that and run at a track, sounds like you have shin splints
droptop92 is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
Yea i was wondering that. These are some pretty worn in New Balance. My mom is a personal trainer, so i guess i'll be giving her a hollar and going to the shoe store and getting measured up.
i did the same thing. hadn't ran in years and started out going 20 minutes everyday. dumb move, after a few days i could hardly walk. i got some new shoes, took a week off, then started out every other day, run a minute, walk a minute, run a minute walk a minute, for 15 minutes. oh, and stretching your calves really good helps as well.
slow99 is offline  
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop92
that and run at a track, sounds like you have shin splints
Besides the probably obvious of my shins hurting, but what are shin splints exactly?

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind
you need shoes!!!!!!!!

go to "run on" or luke's locker and get some real running shoes.
don't buy them at the mall. i have some shox running shoes that i love, but i won't run in them cuz they hurt after 3 miles.

i had the same problem when i started running, i couldn't make it to the end of the street in my sketchers lol
you beat me to it.

Go to a real running shoe store and have them see you run. They put me on a treadmill with a camera and determined how my pronation was and all that good stuff, then they showed me and told me which shoes would work for me. I bought a pair of Mizuno's they recommended and they are the lightest running shoes I've ever owned, they STOPPED my shin splints(I use to always have shooting pains in my shins), and helped me run better. Get some real shoes.

Tangstang is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
i did the same thing. hadn't ran in years and started out going 20 minutes everyday. dumb move, after a few days i could hardly walk. i got some new shoes, took a week off, then started out every other day, run a minute, walk a minute, run a minute walk a minute, for 15 minutes. oh, and stretching your calves really good helps as well.
I'll keep that in mind! I'm trying to really cut some fat off and I think this is probably one of the best ways. I weigh about 190lbs right now, and need to get back to 150-160ish. I'm only 5'5".

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang
you beat me to it.

Go to a real running shoe store and have them see you run. They put me on a treadmill with a camera and determined how my pronation was and all that good stuff, then they showed me and told me which shoes would work for me. I bought a pair of Mizuno's they recommended and they are the lightest running shoes I've ever owned, they STOPPED my shin splints(I use to always have shooting pains in my shins), and helped me run better. Get some real shoes.
Sweet i'll definitely get up there! I think they only reason i EVER hated running was because of my shins. I may be the next forrest gump, who knows!

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
I'll keep that in mind! I'm trying to really cut some fat off and I think this is probably one of the best ways. I weigh about 190lbs right now, and need to get back to 150-160ish. I'm only 5'5".
yeah, do the go for a minute, walk a minute thing every other day, and work your way up. there's a site , coolrunners, or some shit like that that has a program called "couch to 5K" for starting out. basically what i did. i've always worked out eliptical and weights for and hour or more everyday, but when i turned 30 i added running 3 or 4 times a week to my routine.
slow99 is offline  
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Top Gun Actor
 
Johnsredgt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,109
Good shoes and warming up will help wonders. Walk at a fast pace for about 10 min then increase the speed untill your up to the speed you want to be at. Stretching does your body absolutely no good!! Unless your 80.
Or you might have stress fractures. I had them when I was in the Marines and was running 5-7 miles a day. I was in great shape but my legs were broken I will only run on a treadmill now. To F'n hot!! and its better on your body.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as the night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” — Sun Tzu
Johnsredgt50 is offline  
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsredgt50
Good shoes and warming up will help wonders. Walk at a fast pace for about 10 min then increase the speed untill your up to the speed you want to be at. Stretching does your body absolutely no good!! Unless your 80.
Or you might have stress fractures. I had them when I was in the Marines and was running 5-7 miles a day. I was in great shape but my legs were broken I will only run on a treadmill now. To F'n hot!! and its better on your body.
You're an idiot. Stretching is far more important than a warmup. I use to never both doing a warmup before a race, or I'd do a small warmup. I ALWAYS stretched after I realized how huge of a difference it made. All the pain in my legs, in my sides, all of it, all went away by doing the appropriate stretching exercises before a run. I use to wake up at 6, stretch, and run several miles every day. Don't underestimate the importance of stretching. Just cause your body is 'perfect' and "you don't need to stretch" doesn't mean you should go spouting off telling other people stretching doesn't matter.

Tangstang is offline  
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang
You're an idiot. Stretching is far more important than a warmup. I use to never both doing a warmup before a race, or I'd do a small warmup. I ALWAYS stretched after I realized how huge of a difference it made. All the pain in my legs, in my sides, all of it, all went away by doing the appropriate stretching exercises before a run. I use to wake up at 6, stretch, and run several miles every day. Don't underestimate the importance of stretching. Just cause your body is 'perfect' and "you don't need to stretch" doesn't mean you should go spouting off telling other people stretching doesn't matter.
What would be the proper stretches to go running?

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
What would be the proper stretches to go running?
I don't know how to explain it. I'd have to show ya. There were two that made a world of difference for me.

Tangstang is offline  
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
What would be the proper stretches to go running?
if you have stairs or something similar, before i run i stretch my calves out by stepping on the edge of a stair with just my toes, letting my heel go down off the stairs. i do this for at least 30 seconds 3 or 4 times on each calf, that really helped my shin problems, along with a lot of other basic stretches. when stretching my quads, i try to pull my toe up also, trying to stretch the front of my shins a bit.
slow99 is offline  
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:30 AM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
as previously mentioned, getting shoes that fit properly and are designed for your type of stride/foot shape make all the difference in the world.

When I started running, I couldn't run more than a quarter of a mile before it felt like someone was hitting my shins with a 10lb sledge on every step. It took about 1000 different stores (size 15) before I found some, but I ended up with some Asics Kayano's that have worked extremely well, after a couple weeks, I was up to a solid 2 miles on the treadmill with no signs of shin splints.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Alright, well looks like i'm going to check out a few running stores and see whats up. I've got to lose some weight!

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
if you have stairs or something similar, before i run i stretch my calves out by stepping on the edge of a stair with just my toes, letting my heel go down off the stairs. i do this for at least 30 seconds 3 or 4 times on each calf, that really helped my shin problems, along with a lot of other basic stretches. when stretching my quads, i try to pull my toe up also, trying to stretch the front of my shins a bit.
That's one of them. I used a brick wall to prop my foot up but same concept. Another one that will help the shins+calves is laying down on the ground and have both legs straight. Put on foot on top of the other, with your heel on the tongue of the bottom shoe. Push with the top foot and pull with the bottom. Hold for 10 seconds. Do it 3-4 times.

Tangstang is offline  
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang
That's one of them. I used a brick wall to prop my foot up but same concept. Another one that will help the shins+calves is laying down on the ground and have both legs straight. Put on foot on top of the other, with your heel on the tongue of the bottom shoe. Push with the top foot and pull with the bottom. Hold for 10 seconds. Do it 3-4 times.

yea i'll do that too

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:01 PM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang
You're an idiot. Stretching is far more important than a warmup. I use to never both doing a warmup before a race, or I'd do a small warmup. I ALWAYS stretched after I realized how huge of a difference it made. All the pain in my legs, in my sides, all of it, all went away by doing the appropriate stretching exercises before a run. I use to wake up at 6, stretch, and run several miles every day. Don't underestimate the importance of stretching. Just cause your body is 'perfect' and "you don't need to stretch" doesn't mean you should go spouting off telling other people stretching doesn't matter.
You might want to tone down your name calling a little. Find a a true athletic trainer, not the talking head at the gym, and they'll tell you that dynamic warmups beat stretching any day of the week. Static stretching when cold is NOT the thing to do before running or excercising. All you're doing is straining your muscles and temporarily weakening them. Just because your body is 'perfect' and 'you don't have to warm up', doesn't mean you should go spouting off telling other people warming up doesn't matter.
tex is offline  
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM
oh really?
 
mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: grapevine
Posts: 1,484
whats with all the vette owners in this thread

'93 hatch
'91 ls1 coupe
'86 yamaha razz - pink, with nitrous
'78 puch maxi-luxe
mind is offline  
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Top Gun Actor
 
Johnsredgt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,109
First of all I never said my body was "perfect" I said I was in great shape when I was in the Marines. They have done numerous studies about it and have proven that stretching has no effect on the body.
I used to wake up at 5 so I would have plenty of time to roll off of your mom before I went running. Maybe you have to stretch because of that huge Clit muscle. Quit being such a bitch and you probably wouldn’t have that problem.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as the night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” — Sun Tzu
Johnsredgt50 is offline  
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:18 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
Besides the probably obvious of my shins hurting, but what are shin splints exactly?

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_quest...D=3&topicID=12

Quote:
The root causes of the pain of shin splints can be divided into two areas: muscle and bone. The muscles that connect to the ankle are covered by a "sausage skin" known as fascia. This fascia holds the muscles together, and it is quite tough and inelastic. When the muscles naturally expand as a result of exertion, the resulting pressure causes the pain. We see this form of shin splints, known as exertional compartment syndrome, in athletes who play field sports like soccer or run a lot on hard surfaces.

The second major source of shin splint pain stems from the bones and ranges from stress reactions to full-blown fractures. The constant pounding the skeleton endures during running, for example, can cause many microscopic cracks to appear on the bones of the leg. Normally, with rest, the body easily repairs these cracks. Over time, however, these tiny cracks can coalesce into a complete stress fracture, or even a complete fracture.
Strychnine is offline  
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Top Gun Actor
 
Johnsredgt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,109
I think"TangStang" needs help on why his clit and clit hood are hurting

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as the night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” — Sun Tzu
Johnsredgt50 is offline  
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:22 PM
Lifer
 
redfiveohconv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
I'm trying to get back in shape, but when I run, my shins start hurting before I even get tired. I know i'm out of shape, but they shouldn't start hurting in a 1/4 of a mile!

How can I fix this?
Just stretch, and after your first couple work outs they will go away. But you have to stay active. They call 'em splints by the way.
redfiveohconv is offline  
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind
whats with all the vette owners in this thread
and we all have FRC's. hmm.

I think stretching the right way, and new shoes would help these go away. I used to run cross country in junior high school, I was never any good, but i could atleast run 3 miles decently. I'd be crawling by now and i'm only 25!

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind
whats with all the vette owners in this thread
gm made them lightweight, we're just trying to do our part.
slow99 is offline  
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
You might want to tone down your name calling a little. Find a a true athletic trainer, not the talking head at the gym, and they'll tell you that dynamic warmups beat stretching any day of the week. Static stretching when cold is NOT the thing to do before running or excercising. All you're doing is straining your muscles and temporarily weakening them. Just because your body is 'perfect' and 'you don't have to warm up', doesn't mean you should go spouting off telling other people warming up doesn't matter.
i was unaware idiot was the most offensive name out there. The first definition of idiot is a foolish or stupid person. In this instance I'd say he is foolish and perhaps "You fool" would have been a more apt way to phrase it.

Static stretching has worked well for me. It did for several years anyhow. You say it "strains the muscles and temporarily weakens them", however, it also prevents injuries. Preventing injuries is pretty important to me. A pulled quad is not a fun thing. I don't go to gyms, have a personal trainer, or take advice from "talking heads."
I never claimed my body was perfect, etc.

Tangstang is offline  
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:03 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
I solved my shin splints by staying off the treadmill and not running. Stick with the elliptical, stairs (will kick your ass) or cycling and you won't have problems. Shoes make a massive difference like was mentioned though.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Top Gun Actor
 
Johnsredgt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,109
I think your unaware of alot of things.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as the night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” — Sun Tzu
Johnsredgt50 is offline  
post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsredgt50
First of all I never said my body was "perfect" I said I was in great shape when I was in the Marines. They have done numerous studies about it and have proven that stretching has no effect on the body.
I used to wake up at 5 so I would have plenty of time to roll off of your mom before I went running. Maybe you have to stretch because of that huge Clit muscle. Quit being such a bitch and you probably wouldn’t have that problem.
I was in great shape too. You got pretty bent out of shape over being called an idiot. Perhaps a self-esteem issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsredgt50
I think"TangStang" needs help on why his clit and clit hood are hurting
wow, my feelings are so hurt. Oh wait, I was thinkin I was you for a moment, my bad.

Tangstang is offline  
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
I solved my shin splints by staying off the treadmill and not running. Stick with the elliptical, stairs (will kick your ass) or cycling and you won't have problems. Shoes make a massive difference like was mentioned though.
yea, i thought about bike riding aswell, but it seems like you'd have to do alot more of it, compared to running. maybe i'm wrong.

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Top Gun Actor
 
Johnsredgt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,109
So Im supposed to like being called an "idiot" by someone I dont even know?
Way to react like a female.
I wouldnt call "being in great shape" at fat camp a good thing.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as the night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” — Sun Tzu
Johnsredgt50 is offline  
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
and we all have FRC's. hmm.

I think stretching the right way, and new shoes would help these go away. I used to run cross country in junior high school, I was never any good, but i could atleast run 3 miles decently. I'd be crawling by now and i'm only 25!
The first link tells you how to do the stretches

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...-0-290,00.html

The second link emphasizes the importance of stretching to prevent injuries:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...-0-567,00.html

The last link talks all about shin splints, you may find it of interest.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/arti...-3X6-3,00.html

Tangstang is offline  
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsredgt50
So Im supposed to like being called an "idiot" by someone I dont even know?
Way to react like a female.
I wouldnt call "being in great shape" at fat camp a good thing.
I'm probably in better shape than you?
I'm more "out of shape" (6'0,150) now, than I was back then... but I've never been fat. We were required to run anywhere from 4-10 miles every day. Show me a fat person capable of that.

I didn't say you're supposed to like it, nor did I suggest it. However you did get very easily offended. Self-esteem issue seems like a likely cause.

There's thing called a "quote" button...alot of people use it...

Tangstang is offline  
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesSpeedTurnUon
yea, i thought about bike riding aswell, but it seems like you'd have to do alot more of it, compared to running. maybe i'm wrong.
Not more, you just go further in the same amount of time That and it's a whole lot easier to outrun the stray dogs on a bike.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
Not more, you just go further in the same amount of time That and it's a whole lot easier to outrun the stray dogs on a bike.
Its not as physically strenous though? Doesn't expend the same amount of energy per mile. So it would probably depend on why he's taking up running.

Tangstang is offline  
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Top Gun Actor
 
Johnsredgt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,109
Alot of people use your mom but you dont see me getting upset.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as the night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” — Sun Tzu
Johnsredgt50 is offline  
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:42 PM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
I am probably going to reiterate what everyone says, but...

1. Assuming you are overweight, that'll add stress when running.

2. One of the most important aspects is a decent pair of running shoes. You get what you pay for, but you should not have to spend more then 60 dollars to get a pair that'll help.

3. Reading some running magazines and sites. Learn how to run properly and that'll assist you shins, knees, ankles, hips, back...etc.

4. Stretch the calves and the front of your shins. LIGHTLY, do not make it so there is a feeling of pain when doing it.

5. Even if you stretch, start you running relaxed and gradually increase your speed/stride.

6. Be real hydrated when you start.

7. It maybe advisable to run on a treadmill or indoor track until you are in better shape.

Good luck,

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsredgt50
Alot of people use your mom but you dont see me getting upset.
I'm taking back what I said earlier. You truly are an idiot. The wittiest retort you can come up with is a 'your mom' joke? Please. Cry me a river.

Tangstang is offline  
post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:56 PM
oh really?
 
mind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: grapevine
Posts: 1,484
run on is have a 15% off ur second pair sale this tax free weekend.

i sat in my vette last night. it was nice, i'm so sick of driving my truck. dropped all the parts off at the machine shop this morning, maybe i can drive it in a month!

'93 hatch
'91 ls1 coupe
'86 yamaha razz - pink, with nitrous
'78 puch maxi-luxe
mind is offline  
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Here to stay
 
projectPONY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,859
I used to run my ass off in the Corps. I was in the 3rd MAW and our CO always felt we had to prove something to the rest of the Corps. so he use to lead us on 10 and 13 mile runs every fucking Wednesday. my second year with the unit I developed stress fractures on both my lower legs. when I was finally released to full duty I couldn't run a mile without having to stop because of the shear pain. hell, I couldnt even walk after I stopped for a few minutes.

I've heard a lot of people say it's the shoes but I've went through a lot of shoes and I still had the problem. I've been out since '95 and I recently started runing again, I'm up to a mile now and they haven't hurt yet.

can anyone recommend a good shoe or a good store?
projectPONY is offline  
post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Top Gun Actor
 
Johnsredgt50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tx
Posts: 1,109
wow 6' 150lbs .........are you in Jr. High? No wait!!! Your Froto from Lord of the rings, Right?
I think 50 of those whopping 150lbs are your enlarged labias from getting pounded by your BF last night.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetrable as the night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” — Sun Tzu
Johnsredgt50 is offline  
post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:35 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang
Its not as physically strenous though? Doesn't expend the same amount of energy per mile. So it would probably depend on why he's taking up running.
I can keep my heart rate at 150-170 pretty easily depending on the pace and terrain. It helps that I live right by the Trinity Trails system. I'd think a 15-20 mile ride would atleast be equivalent to a 5 mile run and you get to see quite a bit more scenery.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Just quit running and start skipping!
poopnut2 is offline  
post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectPONY
I used to run my ass off in the Corps. I was in the 3rd MAW and our CO always felt we had to prove something to the rest of the Corps. so he use to lead us on 10 and 13 mile runs every fucking Wednesday. my second year with the unit I developed stress fractures on both my lower legs. when I was finally released to full duty I couldn't run a mile without having to stop because of the shear pain. hell, I couldnt even walk after I stopped for a few minutes.

I've heard a lot of people say it's the shoes but I've went through a lot of shoes and I still had the problem. I've been out since '95 and I recently started runing again, I'm up to a mile now and they haven't hurt yet.

can anyone recommend a good shoe or a good store?
I'm in shape, my 'out of shape' comment was laced with sarcasm in your response to 'fat camp'. I'm probably between 8-10% body fat. Fat camp my ass.

http://www.fwrunco.com/Map.htm
I believe this is the first good running store I went to . Luke's is another good one, however I think the one in the link is the only one with a treadmill to determine your kind of pronation and get you the best shoe possible. It all depends where you're at as well. If you're on the other side of town there's probably something better for you.

Tangstang is offline  
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
I can keep my heart rate at 150-170 pretty easily depending on the pace and terrain. It helps that I live right by the Trinity Trails system. I'd think a 15-20 mile ride would atleast be equivalent to a 5 mile run and you get to see quite a bit more scenery.
I can't remember how many calories each burns per mile or hour or whatever but I think that's about right. I'd rather run though. I have a Dyno(street bike) and a Shimano mountain bike. I haven't ridden either in years. I wouldn't mind going mountain biking sometime but my friends are a bike short so to speak.

Tangstang is offline  
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
DoesSpeedTurnUon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangstang
I can't remember how many calories each burns per mile or hour or whatever but I think that's about right. I'd rather run though. I have a Dyno(street bike) and a Shimano mountain bike. I haven't ridden either in years. I wouldn't mind going mountain biking sometime but my friends are a bike short so to speak.
I've done some of the trails in grapevine about 3 years ago and holy shit, my buddy that was in good shape almost killed me doing those things!

2007 GMC Sierra RCSB - It breathes better now and looks better than stock.
2008 Honda 700XX - Doesn't need any mods.
DoesSpeedTurnUon is offline  
post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Worship me
 
AL P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 34,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP
I can keep my heart rate at 150-170 pretty easily depending on the pace and terrain. It helps that I live right by the Trinity Trails system. I'd think a 15-20 mile ride would atleast be equivalent to a 5 mile run and you get to see quite a bit more scenery.
IMO that depends on if you pedal going downhill. I see lots of fat fucks riding bikes just coasting down hills. That shit ruins the cardio effect. I wouldn't mind having a bike though, it would be a fun workout.

For what it is worth....I run all the time. Three or four times a week on a treadmill (2.5 to 3 miles on a constant .5% incline at a 9 to 9:15 pace), followed by some stairmill then outside on both weekend days. The outside running sucks donkey balls. I'm still getting used to it. I can only run about 3 and then I've pretty much had it and it takes me 29 minutes to do that. I never stretch and I been using the same shoes for about three years now. And my fat ass weighs about 215 lbs. I got shin splints at first but just kept running until finally they went away, took about 6 months if I remember right.
AL P is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome