Cutting weight in Sauna? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Cutting weight in Sauna?

Anyone in here do this before an event or deadline? I've never done it but I was considering it. I've taken off 21lbs thru diet and exercise and supplementation. And I will still have 10 days to continue to try and burn as many calories as I can in the gym without overtraining before I attempt to cut weight in the sauna. If so can anyone give me some tips. Should I go ahead and pick up a sauna suit, would a dry or steam sauna be better, what should I drop my water intake to for those days? I'm currently taking in over a gallon of water per day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Lifer

question:

are you a body builder or something mychael? I don't know why anyone wants to lose pure water weight unless they are looking for physical appearance in some type of event...
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Not even close. But we are having a contest of sorts that ends at the end of the month. The winner gets a trip to Vegas and bragging rights. Its a 3 month challenge. Like I said I've already lost 21lbs the right way and I want to hit the sauna to give myself the best chance to win. There are no rules to how the weight is lost, whoever loses the most wins.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mychael101
There are no rules to how the weight is lost, whoever loses the most wins.

Cut off a leg.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:47 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven
Cut off a leg.
Now thats dedication!!!
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Musician for the deaf

You lost 21 pounds and it took you nearly 3 months? That can't be all the bet is about, heck I fluctuate by 40lbs from summer to winter and I don't try.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
You lost 21 pounds and it took you nearly 3 months? That can't be all the bet is about, heck I fluctuate by 40lbs from summer to winter and I don't try.
The bigger you are, the more weight the body will fluctuate, as you cary more fluids.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

I did not include cardio in my training for the 1st two months, so I suppose my weight loss was modest at best. So for this entire month I have trained less on weights and more on cardio. This is for the last 10 weeks. I started last year around December at a weight of nearly 270lbs. I'm now 195lbs. My goal is by December to be at 160lbs.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I'm now 195lbs. My goal is by December to be at 160lbs.

That's just under two pounds per which, which is on the high side, but very doable. Be careful not to focus solely on body weight when making long-term goals, gaining 10lbs of muscle while losing 10lbs of fat won't change the scale, but it sure will affect your physique.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

I'm thinking that I'm still carrying quite a bit of water weight as is. I still hit the weights 4 times a week and train to failure. Tuesdays are the worst since its the day I train legs. After the weights I do an hr of cardio on the elipical and my quads are on fire. Good thing Wednesday is a non-training day. And my physique is much better now. I could have just focused on the weight loss but I wouldn't really dig all the excess skin. At least this way I have much more muscle mass to compensate. Just gotta get a tan and luckily the 24hr fitness in Arlington has a sauna.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I'm thinking that I'm still carrying quite a bit of water weight as is.
It's not like your are carying 10lbs of "extra" water weight. Now that you're training regularly, your body should have hit a point of hydration statis. Don't expect to start hitting the sauna now, and keep the weight off, prolonged dehydration can be dangerous in the least, if not fatal. As long as you are drinking plenty of water, which you should be, time in the sauna will do nothing for waterweight in the long-term. If you want that edge, reduce your water intake a day or two before the weigh-in, and sit in the sauna to squeeze out a little extra water, but don't think that you've got 10lbs of water weight to lose in the mean-time.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Musician for the deaf

Quote:
I did not include cardio in my training for the 1st two months, so I suppose my weight loss was modest at best. So for this entire month I have trained less on weights and more on cardio. This is for the last 10 weeks. I started last year around December at a weight of nearly 270lbs. I'm now 195lbs. My goal is by December to be at 160lbs.
Okay, you just hit a plateau, you had already slimmed considerably.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:09 PM
JPS

Quote:
The bigger you are, the more weight the body will fluctuate, as you cary more fluids.
Good luck! But if you wanted to do a little research, you could find out when each of the girls in this bet is "bloated" and weigh then. mwuahahahahahahaha

(sorry, I'm just excited I have a weekend with no children!)

JPS
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS
Good luck! But if you wanted to do a little research, you could find out when each of the girls in this bet is "bloated" and weigh then. mwuahahahahahahaha

(sorry, I'm just excited I have a weekend with no children!)

JPS

Ha ha ha!

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Baller

ive seen plenty of fighters and lifters alike loose pounds in the double digits on a sauna alone (up to 18lbs for a guy around 200). I also know wrestlers who limit the water consumption considerably as an alternative to a sauna.

If you're serious about this dont eat the day before and untill you weigh in. Or eat just light soups...something you can sweat off.
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Good lord 18lbs! I was hoping for 10lbs total starting today, with busting my ass on the eliptical and then including the sauna for the last 3 days.
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Baller

sauna will really only help you on the day of...or before if you dont consume water. And remember that in a sauna...as long as you're sweating...you're losing weight. Just dont kill yourself...alot of people go overbored. A gallon of water is around 8 lbs i believe. you can also take dieuretics. most of this stuff isn't the best thing to do to your body though so id say you may wanna just stick to the sauna unless you think its a close race.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

I was thinking the same thing. Its just a last resort to give myself an edge. Too bad they started the contest after I had lost the bulk of my weight.
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 11:46 PM

I used to wrestle, the best way to cut too much weight is to go on a ricecake and water diet the last couple of days before weighing in. At the same time you need to sweat as much as possible while limiting the amount of water you take in (running, stationary biking, whatever.) Working out 5 days a week and watching what you eat never fails.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Very Interesting

hell I can drop 20 pounds in two weeks with diet change alone
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

If you donate blood wouldn't that be good for a quick pound or two?

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:14 AM
JPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
hell I can drop 20 pounds in two weeks with diet change alone
How? I've been after the last few inches for months now. I can't seem to get rid of the last little bit. I watch what I eat, I workout for 30 min in the morning and 20 min in the evenings....still nothing off.

Husband says it's just skin that I need a tummy tuck but I know I can get smaller.

JPS
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. Its just a last resort to give myself an edge. Too bad they started the contest after I had lost the bulk of my weight.
The cliff notes of my post above is that water-weight loss is quite temporary, don't even consider that aspect of the scale until the night before weigh-in. Sitting in the sauna now is a waste of time where your weigh-in weight is concerned, focus on your diet and cardio until then, to burn as much fat as possible. If you've got 30 minutes to sweat in a sauna, that's 30 minutes that can be used for cardio.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 10:35 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS
How? I've been after the last few inches for months now. I can't seem to get rid of the last little bit. I watch what I eat, I workout for 30 min in the morning and 20 min in the evenings....still nothing off.

Husband says it's just skin that I need a tummy tuck but I know I can get smaller.

JPS

He's quite a bit larger person than you are, and has a bit more extra weight to lose. The last 10 lbs is always the hardest, because your body fights harder to keep it. Losing weight at 30% bodyfat is ALOT easier than losing weight at 15%, and it becomes harder the leaner that you get.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Quote:
The cliff notes of my post above is that water-weight loss is quite temporary, don't even consider that aspect of the scale until the night before weigh-in. Sitting in the sauna now is a waste of time where your weigh-in weight is concerned, focus on your diet and cardio until then, to burn as much fat as possible. If you've got 30 minutes to sweat in a sauna, that's 30 minutes that can be used for cardio.
That is what I'm doing. I was planning on hitting the sauna the last 72 hours including the day of the weigh in. I totally agree that I'm not looking at the water weight loss as anything but temporary. I figure I'll gain it back faster than it will take to lose it. I'm considering one hour of cardio twice a day until the 29th. Then see where I'm at, then I'll hit the sauna and cross my fingers.
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
That is what I'm doing. I was planning on hitting the sauna the last 72 hours including the day of the weigh in. I totally agree that I'm not looking at the water weight loss as anything but temporary. I figure I'll gain it back faster than it will take to lose it. I'm considering one hour of cardio twice a day until the 29th. Then see where I'm at, then I'll hit the sauna and cross my fingers.

That's plenty of cardio to ge4t you burnin'. The bodybuilder in me wants me to tell you not to dip your calories too low, but if scale weight is the only criterion, no need to worry about lean mass until after the weigh-in.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Hired Hand

Another thing to be aware of, is that reducung your water intake too early will actually cause you to retain water, as your body prepares for what it thinks is an oncoming dry spell. Drink plenty of fluids up to the night before to make sure that doesn't happen.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Bitter Italian

If you've never cut weight in a sauna before now would not be the time to start. It's somthing you have to get use to and many people dont have the will to do it.
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Baller

Thats no joke..,sauna's suck ass. But they work.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-21-2006, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Well I got a bit of good news. The final weigh in is Aug 4th. So that gives me a few more days of intense cardio. Tomorrow is gonna be a nice day to go to a b-day pool party. Finally get some sun and start tanning. Gonna take my own food, its a family event so they will understand. Too bad its not a olympic sized pool or else I would show up early and do laps.
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario
If you've never cut weight in a sauna before now would not be the time to start. It's somthing you have to get use to and many people dont have the will to do it.
For those who have experience cutting weight in the sauna, anyone want to help me out in person? I have a membership to 24hr fitness and can go to all sport locations. This will be Aug 2nd-4th pending the confirmation of the final weigh in date. I work the overnite shift so mornings after 7:30am and anytime before 9:30pm are good for me. I'm determined so not having enough willpower will not be an issue.
post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Time Served

this sounds strange but put prepration h on your stomach and wrap it in suran rap and you well drop in water weight
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-23-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

I have capzacin creme for that. Cap for fat deposits and prep h for water.
post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt dawg 86
this sounds strange but put prepration h on your stomach and wrap it in suran rap and you well drop in water weight

This works.. Before you go to sleep do this and leave it on all night. You will be icthy in the morning due to all the water (sweat) but I does work. Also if you will cramp up pretty bad durning the night. That is normal... Try it for about 10 days and see what happens..

Last edited by Boosted; 07-25-2006 at 07:30 AM.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Baller

Make sure you wear a sweat suit, you can buy them for like 10 at walmart. Its basically a plastic sweater and pants.
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Make sure you wear a sweat suit, you can buy them for like 10 at walmart. Its basically a plastic sweater and pants.
I was wondering if I should go ahead and pick up a sauna suit. I'm hoping the hour of cardio twice a day will help me get down to 185lbs before next Tuesday. I'll step it up this weekend thats for sure. Especially since I have no signs of overtraining. Its a bitch trying to keep my heart rate in the desired "fat loss" area of the scale.
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I was wondering if I should go ahead and pick up a sauna suit. I'm hoping the hour of cardio twice a day will help me get down to 185lbs before next Tuesday. I'll step it up this weekend thats for sure. Especially since I have no signs of overtraining. Its a bitch trying to keep my heart rate in the desired "fat loss" area of the scale.

Seriously watch it with the water loss, Pro bodybuilders have died from dehydration. Also keep you reps up in the 20+ range if you are still hitting the weights. That'll get your heart rate up, and you'll lose a little lean mass in the process, getting your weight down a little more.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Lifer

Go 4 the sauna it feels good!
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 564826
Go 4 the sauna it feels good!
It may feel good, but at this stage in his competition it'll do nothing for his progress.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

I don't think I'll need to cut any weight in the sauna. The contest ends on the 4th so I have plenty of time to keep busting my ass on cardio. I cut out the weight training so I'll lose a bit of lean muscle tissue but I'm confident I'll get there. I'm within 2lbs of the guy in 1st place and he has lost his weight by sweating his ass off doing cardio in the heat of the day in his garage!
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Baller

if its that close you better hit the sauna. It doesn't hurt to win by more than you have to. If you dont sweat it off, he will. Then youll be out a trip to vegas just because you didnt wanna hit the sauna. Oh and be safe...good luck.
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:51 PM
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Quote:

Do you have any before and after pictures. Im not a fag but that is what I weighed(a little more like 300 +) and Ive lost 27 pounds since March. I actually got sick in Febuary and that kinda gave the will power to continue on. What kind of diet are you on? What is your exercise routine? Please LMK I am planning to start on a strict diet and start cardio so I can start dropping the pounds. Thanks!!!!!!
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 12:00 AM
Hood Approved.

Man I don't see how ya'll do it. The sauna is the most miserable place ever. I'm all for sweating, but that shit is intolerable.
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Well I made it down to 190lbs the "right way" so the rest is up to the sauna starting tomorrow. After 5pm on Friday I'll be happy either way but I'll be much happier if I win this trip to Vegas. Especially since I'll have a nice bit of cash from some overtime shifts to gamble with. If not I'll use half the the overtime money to go to Shreveport. Either way I'm gonna go to a casino lol! Shitty part is noticing how much better people treat you everywhere you go compared to 70lbs ago....
post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:28 PM
JPS

Take some laxatives

Seriously, Good Luck and no matter what....You've done good, kid!

JPS
Mommy
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 07:58 PM
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Quote:
Well I made it down to 190lbs the "right way" so the rest is up to the sauna starting tomorrow. After 5pm on Friday I'll be happy either way but I'll be much happier if I win this trip to Vegas. Especially since I'll have a nice bit of cash from some overtime shifts to gamble with. If not I'll use half the the overtime money to go to Shreveport. Either way I'm gonna go to a casino lol! Shitty part is noticing how much better people treat you everywhere you go compared to 70lbs ago....
So whats the right fucking way? J/k
LMK how you lost the 70lbs whenever you have some time.
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
We lost one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by milks93coupe
So whats the right fucking way? J/k
LMK how you lost the 70lbs whenever you have some time.
Sorry about not responding to you in depth. I can tell you I was "camera shy" for a very long time so I gotta find a before pic that shows me full body, then get someone to snap an after pic for me. I can tell my diet was not lo-cal, but was high in fiber, lots of protein, and very little cardio. Thats why I'm pushing myself in the sauna today and tomorrow. My co-workers tell me I look 18 again but I'm much more muscular and vascular, and all the weight loss is good but the new physique is even better and there is still lots to improve on. The 8 week weight training cycle I did whooped my ass into shape quick but left out cardio/abs/and forearm training so those are my next targets.
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

I needed a good motivating thread like this to get my ass back in the gym after an involuntary break. Thanks
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 09:43 AM
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Quote:
Sorry about not responding to you in depth. I can tell you I was "camera shy" for a very long time so I gotta find a before pic that shows me full body, then get someone to snap an after pic for me. I can tell my diet was not lo-cal, but was high in fiber, lots of protein, and very little cardio. Thats why I'm pushing myself in the sauna today and tomorrow. My co-workers tell me I look 18 again but I'm much more muscular and vascular, and all the weight loss is good but the new physique is even better and there is still lots to improve on. The 8 week weight training cycle I did whooped my ass into shape quick but left out cardio/abs/and forearm training so those are my next targets.

Cool
post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Founding Member

let us know how it goes.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement