Hey Al P...get in here. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
OLD SCHOOL crew

Hey Al P...get in here.

I have a thin build. My legs are always fairly stocky, but my upper body is lacking. I am 20 (21 in a few weeks) I just started working out a couple months ago. My metabolism has slowed a bit since highschool. I haven't worked out since I graduated. I always struggled to build my chest, but I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

I work out at a neighbors who has converted his garage into a gym. He has quite a bit of equipment packed into that garage. I work out 4x's a week right now. Two days on chest and bi's, and two days on shoulders and tris. One on abs and LIGHT cardio and a bit of legs....not really concerned with that. He knows a bit and has me doing what seems like a good routine and with good form.

I want to build my chest more. My arms are coming along nicely, but my chest doesn't seem to be getting much bigger.

Any supplements I should take? What about eating habits? I don't want to get fat around the middle (I am working that off, I am 5'8" and weigh 160...First month of working out I lost 5 lbs. In the last two months I have gained around 13lbs.) but I want to get a bigger chest.

Got any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 09:58 PM
Lifer

yeah, you need to eat! not flamin just some fyi, FOOD=MASS. the right food that is. Not Mcdonalds and shit. PROTEIN, PROTEIN, PROTEIN. less reps heavier weight. also get your tri's strong to help out with your bench. as long as you get some cardio in you shouldn't have to worry about fat.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
OLD SCHOOL crew

I eat kinda strange....my diet is mostly hamburger now I don't know how to cook much. I cook sphagetti, 3 different types of hamburger helper and eat steak twice a week...lots of ceral in the morning LOL

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2002, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
OLD SCHOOL crew

I work out more on my shoulders and tris, than I do on chest and bis...
Chest and bis
Pec Deck:
3x10...warming up weight stays the same.

Incline:
3x10 with dumbells going up in weight each time.

Flat: (not sure, think the motion is called a flat fly?)
3x10 going up on weight each time. Dumbells

Decline:
3x10 going up on weight each time Dumbells

This thing on a flat bench with a short weight bar (kinda like a curl bar) where I hold it above my chest and bring it over my head and towards the floor and back to my chest staying close to my body (stretches the tris out too)
3x10....same weight

Cable crosses: (these cables rigged to the ceiling with a pulley...Push the weight in front of me while flexing my chest. I bring my arms from all the way extended to the sides with hands shoulder level to far out in front of me...if that makes sense)
3x10 going up in weight

Preacher curls:
12 reps up in weight
10 add more
8 add more
6 add more
then 8 and remove weight....continue back up, so on and so on...

these things with a pulley machine...that you can build to do all knids of shit...I stand in a athletic stance parallel to the machine and "curl" as I pull the rope towards me. 3 x10 each arm going up in weight

Some other cable crosses that are kinda like curls that work the bis 3x10 adding weigh

Hammers with dumbells to cool down...3x10 same weight
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 02:15 AM
tex
Lifer

If you're looking for mass quick, go buy a big jug of protein, and some creatine from GNC. Andro wouldn't hurt either.

Drop a couple excercises. The quickest mass building chest workout I ever did (when my shoulders could actually take the abuse) was 3 excercises.
Flat Bench:
Light warm up set.
Find a weight that you can get 10 reps with, barely, and use that first.
Step up 10-20lbs, and try for 8 reps.
Step up again, and try for 6 reps.

Incline:
Same forumla, increasing weight while decreasing reps.

Some sort of a fly/pec deck exercise, to really burn the last bit of the muscle. I usually went lighter, and tried to get as many reps into 3 sets as I could

I have to point out, I'm the total opposite of you... I gain like mad, but I also lose it like crazy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 09:16 AM
Worship me

To build mass, size an power you need to keep a few things in mind:

1. Get you some kind of protein supplement. Take it right after you workout and take it first thing in the morning. Make sure you mix in something substantial in the morning...a banana or two..something like that...a bagel with some peanut butter on it or something....otherwise the liquid protein will jsut go right through you...it does me anyway.

2. Get some creatine, read the instructions on the bottle, take whatever dose they recommend, but take one dose right BEFORE you work out...like 15 minutes before hand. I like twinlab creatine chewables, the fruit punch ones taste great and they come with the stuff your body needs to absorb the creatine. A lot of people recommend grape fruit juice or something to help your body absorb the creatine...with the twinlab stuff you don't have to mess with that. Also, keep in mind that different things work for different people, try several types of creatine if you don't see some results in stamina within a few workouts....

3. Get rid of all the ten rep sets...those are junk. At the very least go with a ten rep set at the lightest weight and then go down from there....10, 8, 6, and 4 reps is a nice pyramid. You may also want to go with a completely HEAVY workout on every other workout....a workout where you do a twelve rep warm up and then dive right into 4 sets of 6 reps at a nice heavy weight. Alternate this twice a week with your lighter workout and you will be doing good.

4. Do LOTS and LOTS of negatives....get to where you can work every set to failure....your last rep at those weights above should require some assistance from your workout partner. If you can get all the reps up without help then increase the weight.

5. Eat like a horse....just EAT....don't eat crap...avoid sugar, avoid fried foods, avoid too much dairy stuff....but eat your ass off. If you start getting thick around the middle then take it easy for a week or two and go run your ass off at the end of your workout.

6. Do everything with PERFECT form...every rep should be perfect. Go slow and feel the muscles contract at the peak of every movement. Get mean too...don't give up on those last reps those are the ones that COUNT...get in there and get mad as hell if you have to. All that intensity really helps. Anything it takes to move that last rep.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
OLD SCHOOL crew

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
Get mean too...don't give up on those last reps those are the ones that COUNT...get in there and get mad as hell if you have to. All that intensity really helps. Anything it takes to move that last rep.
Thats where all the strength I have(not very much though) comes from LOL.

I have a friend that has been working out off and on (whenever he cycles ) since this summer. He finished his last cycle of DECA at the end of December. He is my height, bigger build naturally and on the juice. I push myself to out do him...Just put in a good CD (Pantera lately, but I like 80's metal to lift to) take a few moments to breathe deep and get pissed and lift like I am doing it to save my life. I love it when he shakes and struggles and has to quit something after 6 reps and I get mad and bust out all 10...All motor(seems like the right thing to say)...I mean all natural baby
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2002, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
OLD SCHOOL crew

Thanks Al P...I printed this out
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 12:53 PM
Worship me

Deca is a mass building steroid so you shouldn't have any problems keeping up with your friend as far as strength goes...he won't gain that much strength on Deca.

Lift your ass off and think positive and you will do great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement