squats. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

squats.

I joined a gym last week and did squats today for the first time since highschool(10yrs) we were doing power squats.I sat down and could not for anything get back up again.I actually colapsed walking out to my truck when i steped down a step.Now all day i have to grab on to something to pull my self out of a chair.I have fallen about 10 times so far,gas station,grocery store,walking to my mailbox.I have to lock my knees just to stand up and i look like frankenstine walking around.How long will this last and is this going to happen everytime i do squats??
I've drank about a gallon of water today hoping that will help with the cramping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Large Member

Good job.

Try to stretch some. I wouldnt think it would last for more than a week, just in time to do it again. Keep at it.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Lifer

Same thing happened to me about a year ago when I did squats for the first time in 10 years. It SERIOUSLY sucked. I think that my problem was that I didn't stretch enough first. It'll take about a week before you are back to normal, but the severe discomfort will be over in 2-3 days.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

I thought i did stretch enough but i guess not..
I've never really worked out my legs before even in hs.I always did leg presses and machine type stuff.I guess what im really asking is ,is this how i am going to feel after workout that i squat?
Pretty akward having to call my wife into the bathroom to PULL me off the shiter because i couldnt stand up on my own...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 07:14 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Your first time doing them will cause discomfort for about a week. Ok, pain.

Subsequently, if you do them correctly, the next day you will feel a little tight, maybe some slight pain after you do squats.

If I'm not a little tight the morning after a session of squats, I know its time to move up in weight.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

the tightness i dont mind.i actually kinda like it.When i do arms and chest i like the way it feels but god damn i cant even walk right.It feels like somebody beat my ass/legs with a bat.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Time Served

it has nothing todo with stretching.. you shouldnt stretch before you body is warmed up anyway(thats a whole 'nother thing).

You simply lifted too much. Your body was not prepared for it. How many warmup sets (half weight) did you do? I would say hit the squarts with 70% of the weight you did last time, and do that for a week or 2, then start hitting it hard.

If I properly warm up, and really hit my legs hard I am sore for 1-2 days. If its been a few weeks since I have done squats, I am sore for almost a week!

-2010 TTCamaro SS
-2006 Vortech C6 Z06
-1993 RX7, LS1 powered (sold)
-1994 1000+hp Turbo Camaro (sold)
www.momentumautosports.com
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:26 AM

Squats

F-that, that's why I don't do squats... just run..... run Forest run...... it works for me.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:52 AM
My Boy!

I hear potassium is good to get you past that soreness faster. Eat some nanners.

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
I hear potassium is good to get you past that soreness faster. Eat some nanners.
Yep helps prevent the sore muscles

They also have pills, not sure on the name though, never used them but heard about them in school.

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 02:09 AM
tex
Lifer

Squats are fun and all, but working hams and glutes are where it's at.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Baller

Yeah squats are overrated, and can mess your back up pretty bad. Its better to stick with machines such as leg extensions, ham curls, and so forth.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

There is nothing in the world that builds leg bulk like squats.. if you do them right.. to many ppl do them wrong and get hurt..i WISH i could still squat.. nothing like taking 6+ plates ass to ankles...I am stuck with bitch ass legpress now.. but i still make the most of it..

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Your Real DAD

Location: Prowlin the streets,with my FUNNY friend. In good ol Checkaho,TX AKA GARLAND BITCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_lightning
There is nothing in the world that builds leg bulk like squats.. if you do them right.. to many ppl do them wrong and get hurt..i WISH i could still squat.. nothing like taking 6+ plates ass to ankles...I am stuck with bitch ass legpress now.. but i still make the most of it..
I agree squats do it for me.

Why can't you squat anymore?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 06:59 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Herniated disk in my lower back. No squats or DL.. so im stuck with legpress..

D.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Your Real DAD

Location: Prowlin the streets,with my FUNNY friend. In good ol Checkaho,TX AKA GARLAND BITCH
atab
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 07:03 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
Yeah squats are overrated, and can mess your back up pretty bad. Its better to stick with machines such as leg extensions, ham curls, and so forth.
Squats are overrated???

It is the single most bulk producing exercise out there. Bar none.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:00 PM
Baller

I would say singling out the seperate muscle groups would be the most effective. Doing workouts such as Leg extensions, hamstring curls, leg press, Power squats (machine), and so forth will produce a much greater result than risking injury with a conventional squat. almost every powerlifter i know has gone through a period of not being about to lift because of hurting their back squating or DLing. Squat has a high level of injuries. So its much better to use machines and still be able to function normally because the back is one of the most often used muscles in the entire body. Therefore, i stand on my conclusin that squat is overrated. And powercling is usually considered the single most effective(covers the most muscle groups primarily in the legs) lift with free weights.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:05 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
I would say singling out the seperate muscle groups would be the most effective. Doing workouts such as Leg extensions, hamstring curls, leg press, Power squats (machine), and so forth will produce a much greater result than risking injury with a conventional squat. almost every powerlifter i know has gone through a period of not being about to lift because of hurting their back squating or DLing. Squat has a high level of injuries. So its much better to use machines and still be able to function normally because the back is one of the most often used muscles in the entire body. Therefore, i stand on my conclusin that squat is overrated. And powercling is usually considered the single most effective(covers the most muscle groups primarily in the legs) lift with free weights.

I went 20 years doing three exercises:

Power Cleans
Squats
Bench Press

Power Cleans are certainly the best overall exercise you can do. Squats are #2. But, as far as bulk producing overall, heavy squats are where it is at. A great power clean is the result of a great squat.

No question, end of story.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Worship me

Nothing will build more mass than power clean. NOTHING.

As for squat and deadlift hurting people. Well DUH.

Squat and deadlift requires absolutely perfect form. It's like martial arts, you have to have the movement down absolutely perfectly. Anything less means you are heading for a world of shit.

The badasses do both movements with no belt and no knee wraps.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billet Works
Speakin of which, all the guys in the gym have a cow when seein me deadlift and squat with no belt or wraps.....one guy even walked over while I was squatting 495 a few weeks ago and told me the bar is not strong enough for the weight I'm lifting....tried not to laugh as his timing had him talkin to me when I was deep in a squat! Would have probably been a good day to be using a spotter...lol...Thought about going and getting some wraps and a belt but I hate the thought of relying on them to hold my form for me.
495 in the raw is definitely moving some weight. I am just now getting to where I can do 315 for a few reps without killing myself. I'd love to be able to crank up 500 a few times.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 01:14 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billet Works
It's all about learning not to push from the gut and start pushin with the legs only.....can you say hemorrhoids???
Exactly. You do it wrong and your asshole will hang out like a doorknob!!!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
Exactly. You do it wrong and your asshole will hang out like a doorknob!!!
Thats F*&%#*@ sick, your right, dont know why they insist of squating more that they can handle, your only going to screw yourself up."Try some lighter weight d:-o
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

I posted this in the other thread. but since this is a SQUAT thread.. i thought i would post about how much i miss squatting
nothing in the gym compares to a good set of heavy squats... warming up, till you are able to load 5-6 plates on the bar, watching the bare groan and bend just resting on the rack. You slide under it, resting it on your traps.

slowly as you lift off, all that weight bears down on your shoulders.. for an instant it hurts so bad.. but feels soo good. you know what is about to happen. You step back, and your spotter psyches you up, and down you go.
slow, controlled bending of the knees. 45 * ,, 90*.. ASS TO ANKLES BABY.. and BOOM! EXPLODE up. after a few reps you feel the sweet sensation of your quads trembling and every muscle in your torso groaning in tention trying to keep your back straight and the weight level. Know out a few more reps, rack it and feel the releif of the weight lifting off your body, the rush of blood to your thights.. and the sheer Exctasy of deep squatting.

D.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 04:54 PM

ill join a workout session with you. 4 my size, i can lift plenty and thensum!!!!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 01:02 AM
Hero in a half shell

I wish I could squat down to my ankles I don't squat that often but when I do, I usually go down about 1/2 way. If I want to get my glutes real good, I do one leg lunges on the smith with the other leg hanging in the air behind me not giving me any assistance until I can't do anymore, then I'll use my other leg that was in the air to help push a few more reps out.

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 02:53 PM
English Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordonMusser
it has nothing todo with stretching.. you shouldnt stretch before you body is warmed up anyway(thats a whole 'nother thing).

You simply lifted too much. Your body was not prepared for it. How many warmup sets (half weight) did you do? I would say hit the squarts with 70% of the weight you did last time, and do that for a week or 2, then start hitting it hard.
listen to the wise man. he's right!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement