What to eat? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Up in Smoke

What to eat?

Ok, I'm just starting to get back on the track to get in shape. Question is what can someone that has little time get that is quick/easy that isn't junk food? I figure I can increase things like apples and stuff, but what are other things that are filling that help you lose weight?

Also anyone know a good site showing different exercises for beginners on up? I want to get a good routine going. I'm thinking getting a tredmill next as I've read running burns more calories than anything else.

2000 Chevy Tahoe
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1999.5 Ford F350 Crew Cab Powerstroke (Sold)
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
2000 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1967 Chevelle (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Big "foot"

The key (for me anyway) is to prepare ahead so I can grab-and-go when I'm in a hurry. Usually this means cooking 3 or 4 servings at once. Beef jerky is a good low fat protien snack too.

As far as exercises, it'd be good time (and maybe money) spent consulting a trainer or experienced friend on proper form and such. Good form is really important for results and preventing injury, and some of that would be difficult to translate from a web site or book.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Lifer

He's right, being unprepared is the main reason for eating garbage because it is quick and simple. Have several meals prepared/planned for if possible.

Also, it takes about the same amount of calories to propel your body 1 mile whether you are running or walking. The difference is the time it takes.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5111
Also, it takes about the same amount of calories to propel your body 1 mile whether you are running or walking. The difference is the time it takes.
And the wear and tear on your joints. A fast walk with an occasional short burst of jogging to keep the heart rate up works best for me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Up in Smoke

Thanks guys. I might join our company gym for a little while if that would be best. I just find I have more time at home then I do trying to go back and forth to a gym. The beef jerky is a great idea. I'll load up on that. What types of things should you prepare? Anyone know of a good site or would a dietician(sp?) be best?

2000 Chevy Tahoe
2000 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1967 Chevelle (sold)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:45 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
And the wear and tear on your joints. A fast walk with an occasional short burst of jogging to keep the heart rate up works best for me.
Intervals.

And its a pretty good way to lose weight (and get a cardio workout at the same time).

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Up in Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Intervals.

And its a pretty good way to lose weight (and get a cardio workout at the same time).
Cool. I'm just going to have to get into a routine and starting eating better. Does drinking more water help vs. drinkin soda? I must go through at least 36 oz of Mountain Dew a day to keep me awake.

2000 Chevy Tahoe
2000 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1967 Chevelle (sold)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:10 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerunner44
Cool. I'm just going to have to get into a routine and starting eating better. Does drinking more water help vs. drinkin soda? I must go through at least 36 oz of Mountain Dew a day to keep me awake.
Water dude, water. It is usually the missing item in a diet of someone trying to lose weight. For every gram of fat your body metabolizes you need 4 grams of water. No water no fat metabolism. Drink at least 80 ozs a day.

If you need the Dew, switch to diet dew. Although you'll find even diet drinks will screw you up in dieting because of the sodium content.

But, you can't give up everything or you'll drop your diet like a bad habit!

I use drink a case of diet coke about every three days. It took me a long time to get over the caffeine habit. But eating cleaner, spacing out meals so I eat 6 smaller meals a day actually keeps me more awake than diet coke ever did. I may drink a diet coke about twice a month now, but it took a good 2 weeks for the craving to stop.

My 401K is now a 400K (was 301K)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Up in Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
Water dude, water. It is usually the missing item in a diet of someone trying to lose weight. For every gram of fat your body metabolizes you need 4 grams of water. No water no fat metabolism. Drink at least 80 ozs a day.

If you need the Dew, switch to diet dew. Although you'll find even diet drinks will screw you up in dieting because of the sodium content.

But, you can't give up everything or you'll drop your diet like a bad habit!

I use drink a case of diet coke about every three days. It took me a long time to get over the caffeine habit. But eating cleaner, spacing out meals so I eat 6 smaller meals a day actually keeps me more awake than diet coke ever did. I may drink a diet coke about twice a month now, but it took a good 2 weeks for the craving to stop.
Thanks. I'll start there. I do try to eat smaller items more often during the day, but working evenings already messes up your eating habits.

2000 Chevy Tahoe
2000 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1967 Chevelle (sold)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerunner44
Also anyone know a good site showing different exercises for beginners on up? I want to get a good routine going. I'm thinking getting a tredmill next as I've read running burns more calories than anything else.
This is a pretty good site and it's free.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercis...koutcenter.htm
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Up in Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTChick01
This is a pretty good site and it's free.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercis...koutcenter.htm
That's funny that you mention that site. I bookmarked it after I found it researching this topic on the net. Best site that I've found so far.

2000 Chevy Tahoe
2000 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1967 Chevelle (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement