Need a good workout routine. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
That's what she said!

Need a good workout routine.

I am going to start working out and I need a good workout routine. I have not worked out in a few years so I guess this would all new to me. I don't really care about bulking up I just want to lose weight. Bulking up would be fine but I really just want to lose weight. I know how to eat right, which I have already started to do, I just need to lose weight.

Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Texan

www.extreme-athlete.com has a lot of good recommendations for different body types. a lot of the crap is about juice, but there's a section for natural workouts too.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Lifer

Get up early every other morning and do 30-60 minutes of LOW-INTENSITY cardio before you eat anything. Then after work hit the weights sticking to higher reps (8-10).

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
That's what she said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5111
Get up early every other morning and do 30-60 minutes of LOW-INTENSITY cardio before you eat anything. Then after work hit the weights sticking to higher reps (8-10).

That would probably be easy to do since I have an elyptical machine at the house. I may try that thanks!

Jason

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 09:23 PM

Quote:
hit the weights sticking to higher reps (8-10).
What's your reasoning behind this?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 07:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKDGabe
What's your reasoning behind this?
If you are trying to cut and not bulk up higher reps are better. If you are trying to bulk and/or get strength then lower reps are ideal.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 07:17 AM

Quote:
If you are trying to cut and not bulk up higher reps are better.
Yeah, you already said that. I was interested in the why, not the how. There's also been no mention of sets, just reps. That's kind of important I think.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah, you already said that. I was interested in the why, not the how. There's also been no mention of sets, just reps. That's kind of important I think.
Quote:
We all have a mixture of slow and fast twitch muscle fibers. There are subclasses of the fast twitch category but basically the slow twitch fibers are slow to fatigue and produce low levels of force. The fast twitch fibers fatigue quickly but produce high levels of force. The average person has about two thirds slow twitch and about one third fast twitch.

Strength training is an anaerobic exercise. Anaerobic metabolism lasts about 40-70 seconds in someone who has this average mix of slow and fast twitch muscle fibers. So, a set of 8-12 reps, using a 2 / 4 cadence, will have our anaerobic metabolisms exhausted by the end of the set if the resistance is great enough.
3-4 sets is what I recommend
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 11:34 AM

The ratio of slow/fast twitch fibers isn't that important IMHO. Long distance runners have mostly slow twitch while olympic lifters have mostly fast twitch. The O-lifters in the low weight classes are usually quite ripped.

In this article by Clarence Bass he says the following.

Quote:
Whether your muscle fibers are predominantly fast or slow, exercise will make them better fat/calorie burners. It increases the blood supply to the muscles, bringing more oxygen and calories to be burned for energy. "If you start an exercise program and stick with it," says Dr. Barnard, "it will increase the number of capillaries reaching each muscle cell by as much as 40 percent within a few months." Simply walking briskly for a half hour per day will substantially increase your fat-burning capacity, according to Dr. Barnard. Exercising more intensely at regular intervals adds to the benefit, of course.
So if regular exercise is important why not keep the sets/reps low enough so that you're not sore the next day and can repeat? 2 sets of 5 reps will give you a good workout that will help gain strength and not only will you not be sore the next day you'll have enough energy to do some aerobic exercises that day.

As said in that last article muscle is always burning fat. Therefore we want to build more muscle. This doesn't necessarily mean getting bigger or training harder. Another good read here.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
So if regular exercise is important why not keep the sets/reps low enough so that you're not sore the next day and can repeat? 2 sets of 5 reps will give you a good workout that will help gain strength and not only will you not be sore the next day you'll have enough energy to do some aerobic exercises that day.
That is why I recommend that he do low-intensity cardio in the morning and weights in the afternoon.

The entire body will need to be exercised. Most people will see better results doing more than 2 sets of 5. Sure you will be sore the next day or two, but that soreness is because your workout was effective and you are forcing your muscles to grow. But you also have to allow those sore muscles time to heal properly. While your chest is recovering from its soreness you work your back one day and your shoulders another. This, combined with the early morning cardio, will allow the person to build muscle, strength, and still lose fat.

I used to do full-body workouts every other day with low reps. I did progress, but slowly. I then switched to working a different muscle group each day and my progress was much faster. In about 6 months I went from 285 to 245 meanwhile my strength increased greatly (bench went from 315-375) which is more progress than I had seen in the previous year with the full-body workouts.

Of course everyone's body reacts differently. Varying up your workout is key. I change my workout from high to low reps every 3-4 weeks. But what works for one won't necessarily work for others. That is why you can research this to death and never find one answer.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 05:06 PM

Quote:
But what works for one won't necessarily work for others. That is why you can research this to death and never find one answer.
That's for sure.

Quote:
Most people will see better results doing more than 2 sets of 5.
That depends on their goal. He said his biggest goal is to lose weight. So the more often he exercises the more he'll lose. Unless you're focusing on bodybuilding I see no point to isolation exercises. I prefer the real life applicable stuff - compound exercises such as the squat, one arm press and deadlift.

Quote:
I used to do full-body workouts every other day with low reps. I did progress, but slowly.
I don't recommend working the full body heavy every day. I like the Power to the People routine of deadlift and one arm press. There's no need to cycle the exercises if you cycle the weight instead, unless you're easily bored.

Quote:
Sure you will be sore the next day or two, but that soreness is because your workout was effective and you are forcing your muscles to grow.
Did you read the second article I posted? Soreness is not the only or necessarily the best guage by which a workout should be judged.

Not trying to be argumentative here, just want to promote awareness of what's out there. It's been proven to work but not alot of people are aware of it. I injured my back along time ago at work and the typical routine you suggested left me sore so much I gave up working out for about 7 years. The routine I'm suggesting doesn't do that to me. (No, it's not just for those of us who are injured...)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

I posted my routine on here many times.. if you want to get BIG.. follow it..

D.
Pain, is weakness leaving the body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement