So I'm working out today... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

So I'm working out today...

and we have these 2 "ladies" that come in and start power lifting. First of all, they're stronger than alot of men but they're over weight. You'd think that if they'd want to lose weight, they would do cardio instead of pounding weights. And I mean pounding....they workout like men, slamming weights, grunts and all. I have to watch what I workout on cause I'm afraid they'll out lift me...which they can.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Time Served

Who are you to critique(sp?) their workout?! Maybe they are powerlifters, or training for a sport. Not all women are trying to be slim. I mean I see women in my gym all the time that are trying to get stronger and don't care they are packin' on a few extra pounds. Just the other day a female that is in the gym, maybe more than I am, asked me to give her a spot on the leg press. She was pressing heavier than 80% of the men that workout there. She is an attractive woman, and trains harder, with more dedication than most of the men. It is the people like you that can't understand why people push themselves, and will probably never achieve anything in the gym. Just because they are not in the "norm" it is wrong or strange.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90redlx
Who are you to critique(sp?) their workout?! Maybe they are powerlifters, or training for a sport.
Maybe

[/QUOTE]It is the people like you that can't understand why people push themselves, [/QUOTE]

Why women push themselves that hard. This is excluding the obvious women that are in fact training for a competion.

[/QUOTE]It is the people like you that can't understand why people push themselves, and will probably never achieve anything in the gym[/QUOTE]

I know about pushing myself. At least to the point where it's still safe to complete a set with no spotter.

George

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Time Served

They don't have to be training for a competion, what if they play sports like I said, and looking to maximize their abilitys. I don't understand your reasoning. When you see a guy in the gym that is say 5'10" and [email protected]%bf you don't think why isn't he doing sets of 25reps or only doing cardio, no you just see he is trying to get stronger and be healthier. But if you see a woman doing this she is looked at weird.

And the fact that you stated pushing yourself to the point where it is safe without a spotter just makes me more confident you don't know what your talking about. You should be able to push yourself with 25lb dumbbells just as much as if you were using 50lb db's, you just need to know what your doing. I see people like you all the time in the gym, saying "I can't", wether it be going heavier or more reps, "without a spotter". Just like you said about those "ladies",

"I have to watch what I workout on cause I'm afraid they'll out lift me...which they can."

I bet they were looking at you talking about how their gym is filled with people that don't know what the fuck they're doing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Lifer

If anyone is in the weight room on a semi-regular basis (actually working out) then I give them props. I don't care if it's a guy that weighs 100 lbs. or a girl that weighs 250 lbs. If they are busting their ass in there, they deserve a cookie . I'm getting back into the gym and I'm happy to see that over the past 6 weeks (I've only been in about 7 times because of sickness and tests), there are a few people that I see now have slimmed down and others that have bulked up, I'm happy for them. George if you are worried about them outlifting you then you are thinking about them too much and they should motivate you to bust your ass more
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
They don't have to be training for a competion, what if they play sports like I said, and looking to maximize their abilitys. I don't understand your reasoning. When you see a guy in the gym that is say 5'10" and [email protected]%bf you don't think why isn't he doing sets of 25reps or only doing cardio, no you just see he is trying to get stronger and be healthier. But if you see a woman doing this she is looked at weird.

And the fact that you stated pushing yourself to the point where it is safe without a spotter just makes me more confident you don't know what your talking about. You should be able to push yourself with 25lb dumbbells just as much as if you were using 50lb db's, you just need to know what your doing. I see people like you all the time in the gym, saying "I can't", wether it be going heavier or more reps, "without a spotter". Just like you said about those "ladies",

"I have to watch what I workout on cause I'm afraid they'll out lift me...which they can."

I bet they were looking at you talking about how their gym is filled with people that don't know what the fuck they're doing.
Alright man....get off your soap box now. I was talking about working on equipment like the bench press or the leg press. I have to make sure I can get the bar up by myself on that last one....right? I don't need a spotter for dumbell curls

George
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:16 AM
Worship me

George, we have a girl like that at our gym. I know where you are coming from. She isn't fat though. Bitch is huge and roided up. Looks like a good sized dude from the back.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what possesses her to do that to her body. I guess she competes but I'd bet she won't live past 50 years.

And before some of you clowns start talking about her pushing more weight than me, she isn't even close.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy
If anyone is in the weight room on a semi-regular basis (actually working out) then I give them props. I don't care if it's a guy that weighs 100 lbs. or a girl that weighs 250 lbs. If they are busting their ass in there, they deserve a cookie . I'm getting back into the gym and I'm happy to see that over the past 6 weeks (I've only been in about 7 times because of sickness and tests), there are a few people that I see now have slimmed down and others that have bulked up, I'm happy for them. George if you are worried about them outlifting you then you are thinking about them too much and they should motivate you to bust your ass more

Yeah, that's good that people are in a gym and actually getting some physical activity. I'm not so much "worried" or "afraid", that was actually a joke...I dunno. It's just the efficiency side of me came out and thought if their goal was to lose weight, more cardio(or some cardio for that matter) would be more effective....ya know? But obviously their goal is their goal...not mine.

George
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
....And the fact that you stated pushing yourself to the point where it is safe without a spotter just makes me more confident you don't know what your talking about....
Ya know what happens when you assume don't ya? You make an ass out of u and me.

George
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by George G.
Ya know what happens when you assume don't ya? You make an ass out of u and me.
The only person who has made an ass out of themselves is "ya", "Bra". I could care less what the people on a stang forum think about my opinions on working out. Remember "ya" are the one who assumed that they where trying to lose weight, and thought it was rediculous to be lifting in the way they were. If you didn't want someone to flame you, you shouldn't have posted such a stupid remark degrading someone else that didn't deserve it.

And about the spotter thing, if you have to worry about being able to get the last one up, you are going to heavy to even be working optimally(sp?). I see people like you all the time trying to go heavier than needed for some odd reason, I guess penis envy. I'm wondering what are these gigantic amounts of weight that you you are lifting to have to worry about not lifting. I bet you bounce the bar when doing bench(that is if you even touch the bar to your chest?), don't go parrallel when squating(if you even squat?), swing your weight on curls, and don't go 90deg on leg press.

Just remember it is always quality over quantity. Obviously you have a lot to learn and it isn't going to happen any time soon.

Last edited by 90redlx; 12-03-2004 at 09:42 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

ya know, I'm gonna reply to this just for the fun of it.

And about the spotter thing, if you have to worry about being able to get the last one up, you are going to heavy to even be working optimally(sp?).

Keep repeating that to yourself...you might actually believe it one day.

I'm wondering what are these gigantic amounts of weight that you you are lifting to have to worry about not lifting.

So you think that for someone(anyone) to get to that point, it must be some enormous amount of weight?

I bet you bounce the bar when doing bench Nope

that is if you even touch the bar to your chest?), No, I only go till my arms are slightly past 90 degrees.

don't go parrallel when squating(if you even squat?), Well, you got me there. I don't...back injury.

swing your weight on curls No, that's just silly

and don't go 90deg on leg press again, slightly past 90 degrees.

Just remember it is always quality over quantity. Obviously you have a lot to learn and it isn't going to happen any time soon.

I don't think I've ever claimed to know it all...not intentionally anyhow. But so far you've taught me nothing I don't already know about form.

Now I don't know how far this stick is up your ass, but chill out man. Why get yourself all worked up over it....it's Friday.

I'm gonna do you a favor. I'm done with this thread. If you want to reply with some witty response so everyone thinks you got the last word. Go ahead. If you wan't it to be on good terms or bad terms, it's solely up to you. Bye now.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement