Protien shakes and milk - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Protien shakes and milk

Can you drink too much milk? Im taking 2-3 protien shakes a day with about 2 cups of milk in each. I usually drink whole milk cause it tastes good, skim is for bitches. I drink around 6 cups of milk a day.

Can drinking too much whole milk be bad for you?

Im also looking into different protien shakes. Im using Muscle milk and it taste great with milk. The chocolate taste like crap with water. My buddy likes to put ice cream and fruit in his shakes with 100% whey protien. Any suggestions on making your own shakes? I love smoothies and according to the nutritional facts on some of them, you can get 40-50g of protien and they taste GREAT.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Lifer

I drink at least a gallon of whole milk a day (been doing it for the past 12-15 years). I haven't had any problems, but I do have a friend who was drinking about as much as I was and he ended up with kidney stones (it was the milk because it happened a few times and everytime he cut down on milk he wouldn't get them), so I really don't know.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Cummins > Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangcrazy
I drink at least a gallon of whole milk a day (been doing it for the past 12-15 years). I haven't had any problems, but I do have a friend who was drinking about as much as I was and he ended up with kidney stones (it was the milk because it happened a few times and everytime he cut down on milk he wouldn't get them), so I really don't know.
Makes sense, a kidney stone is excess calcium buildup that formes into a stone. Gotta drink water with everything

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Lifer

it's not always calcium, a lot of magnesium and iron too. Anyway, I used to only drink milk, no water really; but milk is too expensive now for me (broke, college...yeah) so water is my drink of choice.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 12:50 PM

I gave my girl a protien shot this weekend. She swallows
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Lifer

I know a nutritionalist/trainer that coaches professionals and he recommends 1/2 gallon of skim milk each day for someone that is trying to build muscle.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 01:37 PM

skim milk is good, if you are trying to get a lean mass gain. While whole milk is good for just mass gain. I use gnc's 100% whey, liked it alot, i now have proteinfactory.com and it is great too. And you can mix to your likings
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 06:35 PM
My Boy!

I go through a gallon of skim milk every 3 days or so. I mix with Optimum Nutritions Whey Protein powder, but for after workouts and the first shake of the day on non-workout days I do the whey with water and creatin.

As for too much milk... Your body will let you know if it doesn't like it. a lot of people are lactose intolerant at least a little.

Can anyone else back up that one suggestion of 1/2 gal of skim milk a day for gaining?

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 02:36 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
I go through a gallon of skim milk every 3 days or so. I mix with Optimum Nutritions Whey Protein powder, but for after workouts and the first shake of the day on non-workout days I do the whey with water and creatin.

As for too much milk... Your body will let you know if it doesn't like it. a lot of people are lactose intolerant at least a little.

Can anyone else back up that one suggestion of 1/2 gal of skim milk a day for gaining?
milk is great if you can handle it, I personally drink 1 or 2% right now and I am trying to put on some size. I drink between 1/2 to 3/4 a gallon a day, easy 800-1000 calories, 60-80 grams of protein that you just drink with each meal.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Lifer

First off, MichaelB get serious, go to the other forums for that.

Second, 99cobra146, I think you mean 60-80 grams protein per day, not at every meal...unless you are drinking 3/4 gallon of milk at each meal

I would figure that it doesn't really matter if you are drinking just 1/2 a gallon of skim for lean mass. If you are drinking skim you are cutting down on fat compared to whole milk and losing just a little amount of protein (due to the fat reduction process). Most protein from dairy products is in the form of whey (protein from milk) and the more skim milk you drink the more protein you are getting, so drink more milk! Just watch the fat.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Second, 99cobra146, I think you mean 60-80 grams protein per day, not at every meal...unless you are drinking 3/4 gallon of milk at each meal

I would figure that it doesn't really matter if you are drinking just 1/2 a gallon of skim for lean mass. If you are drinking skim you are cutting down on fat compared to whole milk and losing just a little amount of protein (due to the fat reduction process). Most protein from dairy products is in the form of whey (protein from milk) and the more skim milk you drink the more protein you are getting, so drink more milk! Just watch the fat.
I was serious, she swallows but i'l leave your thread alone.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelb303
I gave my girl a protien shot this weekend. She swallows

we know!

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:

You are correct that is the total for the day not each meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement