your opinions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Which one's the clutch?

your opinions

i want to lean up and gain strength. what would you guys recommend i work out about 5 times a week and would like something to help me recover faster.

any feed back at all would be great. thanks.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 04:31 AM
Time Served

whats your protein intake like? you should be gaining and feeling pretty good if you are consuming enough....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Which one's the clutch?

well right after i workout i eat about 50 or more grams of protein and for a whole day maybe 75. i would like to know what kind of shake or what would be good for that, because all i can really eat for protien is tuna or some kind of fish or chicken, and it gets bland after eating it for so-long.

1988 Buick lasabre-sold
2005 Honda accord-daily.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Hired Hand

Getting your protein from real food is much better, but a protein shake is a must for most of us "normal" people that have jobs and can't be preparing food all day long. Keep your protein intake up (at least a gram per pound of body weight) and throw in some Glutamine for recovery.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Which one's the clutch?

thanks for the input

1988 Buick lasabre-sold
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Banned

I'm against the one gram per pound of weight but these guys are right. Eat healthy, stretch before and after workout. Mix cardio and light weights for the tone and you should see results pretty quick. I probably take in around 80g of protein a day and that seems to be plenty. Also, be sure to get enough calcium in your body. Protein depletes calcium in your bones and will make your bones brittle and can cause osteoperosis(sp?) after a while.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2
I'm against the one gram per pound of weight but these guys are right. Eat healthy, stretch before and after workout. Mix cardio and light weights for the tone and you should see results pretty quick. I probably take in around 80g of protein a day and that seems to be plenty. Also, be sure to get enough calcium in your body. Protein depletes calcium in your bones and will make your bones brittle and can cause osteoperosis(sp?) after a while.

At 80g/day you are gonna flat-line your growth pretty quick.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 05:36 PM
My Boy!

I was eating closer to the one gram of protein per pound of weight for a long time with little results. Recently I upped the protein to somewhere between 1.5 and 2 grams per pound and quickly saw gains. I think people are different in that area, but I can't see going under 1g per lb and being able to see gains at all. just me though.
I use protein powder quite a bit to get mine in each day. Either with some food in smaller amounts or as the entire meal at the time with about 50g each.

Also, I found out the hard way that sleep will play a really important role.

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Boost?
At 80g/day you are gonna flat-line your growth pretty quick.
That's just a guess. I have some chart from my health class that shows what I'm taking in on an average week. Let me see if I can find it real quick.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Banned

98.6g was my daily average intake of protein for one week. That's 168% of the daily amount that someone my height, weight, and age should take in according to this nutrition program they gave us.

And that was only averaging 2,055 calories a day. And trust me, I definately don't starve myself. This person said they want to tone up, not bulk up. HUGE difference.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Which one's the clutch?

thanks guys i appriciate the help

1988 Buick lasabre-sold
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 05:09 PM
My Boy!

Quote:
This person said they want to tone up, not bulk up. HUGE difference.
Sorry. My tunnel vision was only thinking about my own goals again. lol In this case he only needs enough to support himself not going into catabolism, bu still trying to add strength he should need to up the protein above that some , right?

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
Sorry. My tunnel vision was only thinking about my own goals again. lol In this case he only needs enough to support himself not going into catabolism, bu still trying to add strength he should need to up the protein above that some , right?

Yeah, because people who don't take in 200g's of protein a day die or end up physically defunct.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 03:00 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Protein depletes calcium in your bones and will make your bones brittle and can cause osteoperosis(sp?) after a while.

WRONG..... excessive protein intake does this.... and excessive is when you arent obsorbing the intake amount..... plenty of studies have been done on this and 1 1/2 times your body weight for weight training individuals is not in excess of what is needed to replenish AND build onto damaged muscles... if you lift heavy and dont get enough protein in your diet you are going to do far more damage to your body than if you get a little too much... you are reading far too much into what your "health class" teacher is telling you in school or wherever you are getting your info (if in fact that you arent just making it up yourself) bottom line is you cant come in here misinformed and flapping your gums about daily allowances and shit... if you like you can make it to tulsa and I can teach you some things about nutrition for weight trainers.... until then please stop giving bad advice

DAILY ALLOWANCES ARE BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Which one's the clutch?

so what your saying is taking to much is better then taking to little?

1988 Buick lasabre-sold
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 03:21 AM
Time Served

you would seroiusly have to choke down alot of protein shakes to do damage... if you are lifting try to get about 75 grams post workout and about 50 before bed ( give or take depending on your size and how much lifting you are doing) and a good diet through the day will take care of the rest just so you get the idea.... Im 6'3" 225 i workout everyday because im just a firm believer that your muscles just adapt to what you give them.... I eat somewhere around 300 grams a day and have showed decent gains when Im lifting heavy weight..... I drink a good cross-flow microfiltered whey protein isolate shake post workout and before bed and I love the shit out of eggs, and whole rotisserie chickens. POOPNUT was right about calcium supplementation to keep your bones healthy but you should already be doing this anyway a good multi vitamin is very important for lifters.... you can only lift the weight that your bones will take before they snap in two ya know? so dont worry about taking in too much and focus on getting an amount that is adequate for what the training you are doing is and the goals you have in a physique... you cant build muscle without not only enough protein to replace what you depleted by destroying muscles through workout, but what you need on top of that to grow... feel free to ask any more questions you have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement