Student Rec Center.... (rant) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Student Rec Center.... (rant)

So I'm back at school at Texas Tech.
Every year at the beginning of the year (and for the 2 weeks leading up to spring break), the rec is rediculously crowded. I guess working out all summer at a real gym with some big bastards who knew what they were doing, I got used to seeing guys with good form and guys who would get down to business.

Tonight, I saw people trying to curl much more than they should, throwing their entire back into the movement, and turning a simple barbell curl into a back/bi/shoulder workout.

I saw guys squatting way up on the balls of their feet, heels off the ground.

Hell I even saw a girl lay on a bench with 10lbs on each side of the bar... and never lift it once. She layed on the bench and talked on her phone for 10+ minutes.

I can not wait for the first few weeks to be over with. Most of the assclowns at the gym seem to clear out by then and it's much more tolerable.
I won two free trial memberships to another gym here in Lubbock at a bar the other night... I think my lifting partner and I might go take advantage of that until the rec is back to normal.

Sorry for the rant, but these people just piss me off so much.
Do any of you guys at other colleges have to deal with this shit too?

- Matt

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 12:21 AM
Blue5spd's a titty baby

You will noramally see those types at any gym especially after the new year begins, but sounds like an epidemic out at Tech. and yes it does suck.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:30 AM
Lifer

Yep, the same thing happens at our gym every January. Everybody has their New Year Resolutions and is going to the gym. Luckily by now it is not bad anymore.

Also, Mondays are the worst day in the gym too. Same basic concept. Sundays mornings are the best.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Lifer

no worse then it is here after new years. I hate it when all the resolution people show up. I think its great that they want to make an effort, but that effort only lasts a month. In the mean time ,they take up all the equiptment, and get in the way.

Its just a fact of life, so just let the time pass, and the gym will be yours again.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 10:30 AM
Lifer

You can imagine the amount of retards we get at the gym here in Austin then. It's so crowded that if I try to do my normal workout, which usually takes 2 hours, I'd be in there for 3-3.5 hours, it's horrible.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 11:00 AM

It is probably the football players at texas tech (ha ha) I am from OK. The same thing happens up here all the time I have to hold myself back from telling them they are going to end up hurting more than helping.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Worship me

I love New Years. All of those people throwing dumbbells around and shit. You can come with some new exercises if you watch them closely.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 05:29 PM
Time Served

UNT is JUST like that. Everybody thinks they'll have blinging abs and big biceps in two weeks time in preparation for the semester/spring break/summer.

There was one tard on a bench, curling beside me. He couldn't get the weight up so I guess to save face he decided the smart and manly thing to do would be to throw the dumb bells.

Lets not mention the jagg off's who pull 3-5 sets of dumb bells off the rack and then walk off when they are finished and leave them on the floor.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 05:32 PM
Good times

Wink

sorry, I'll work on my form

n/a
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I love New Years. All of those people throwing dumbbells around and shit. You can come with some new exercises if you watch them closely.
It would be quality entertainment... if I were actually there to be entertained. Oh well, I went and got a membership at a new gym today. It's open 24 hours, they have brand new equipment, and there is plenty of 'motivation'

Boss, seriously, just rack your weights and quit leaving puddles of sweat on all the shit... oh yeah, and the american flag MC Hammer pants have to go.

- Matt
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 06:51 PM
Good times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked71Bowtie
Boss, seriously, just rack your weights and quit leaving puddles of sweat on all the shit... oh yeah, and the american flag MC Hammer pants have to go.

n/a
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 07:41 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stang
Lets not mention the jagg off's who pull 3-5 sets of dumb bells off the rack and then walk off when they are finished and leave them on the floor.
Unfortunately that is not just the new guys either. There are several gym rats at my gym that do the same thing. They just leave the weights on the ground, leaning up against the machine, or still on the bar. Nothing makes my wife more upset when she goes to start bench pressing and some guy walked off and left 225 on the rack.

Me, I'm a bit anal about re-racking the weights CORRECTLY. Every machine/station that I go will have the weights re-racked the way they are supposed to by the time I leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement