Walking & Running + Trying to gain lbs - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
the green kind

Walking & Running + Trying to gain lbs

Will walking & running help or hurt, when trying to gain lbs?

I recently added it to my routine.

After a good upper body workout I need to wait a few days, and have been running and walking during that time.

What does everyone recommend?

Thank you,
Nicholas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Dead Stop Bobby :D

walking and running is ALWAYS good.. limit the running to 4 times a day or every other day to keep it easy on the joints but cardio is very vital for the heart.. very good for u!

1998 Eclipse GS-T (fun daily 93 octane)
2001 Trans Am (fun gas guzzler 93 octane)
1998 Sentra (40+ mpg daily driver 87 octane )
You spin, I win

Wedding,automobile,people, sports etc photography

www.chatlaniphoto.com
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
the green kind

Thank you

4 times a day? I hope that's a typo.

I've been running 3 or 4 times a week, and running hard. Longer runs each time I run until I hit my goal.

I asked this question, because the body type of most runners I see is not my goal. Maybe it's just this area?

How about bike riding? Hard to find a place to ride around here, but how does that compare to running? Should I add it to the mix?
The bike will work my upper body right? and lower?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:32 PM

if your looking to tone up, walking and running are key w/ workout.
if your bodybuilding dont do cardio until its simdown time.
walking and running are very good for you only prob. is they demand carbs and energy to burn. if your diet isnt up to the task it comes from the muscle since its alot easier to break down than fat... esp growing muscle.
if your going to run then be sure and get a good amout of L-glutamine in you it helps stop the breakdown of muslce in such cases.
what i was told anyways, i've been wrong before.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
the green kind

Thanks for the fast replys.

Where would I find L-glutamine?

I've been eating more and more, going with the workouts and running.

Eating like a cow.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:36 PM

oops.. yes.. its a typo hahaha 3-4 times a week! Riding a bike will also work. It'll work more on your lower body than upper. You will also get your heart pumping with the bike but u will need to turn the resistance up to really get a burn.

Depends on the length of your cardio.. if u run 10-15 mins, u can probably do that everyday.. but if u run 30 mins or so mixed in with walking, i would do that every other day or 4 times a week. I went through a weight loss phase where I did 5 weeks of cardio.. 30-45 mins a day for 6 days. After 5 weeks my body just got so tired I got sick.. it was too much in too little time. However, i lost 17lbs in 5 weeks which is extreme and not recommended for a "healthy" lifestyle
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:39 PM

L-glutamine is a amino acid, so any brach chain amino acid will have it. its a common thing to take you can find it in pill form to, just staright glutamine.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
the green kind

Thanks again. Congrats on losing the lbs, if that was your goal.

So I'll lose lbs running? but be in better shape? haha.. little lost.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:40 PM

Oh ya, about supplements, i tried them all and through experience, u are shitting it all out. Besides creatine powder, everything else is just in the head. I tried animal paks and andro this and Glutamin that and carnintine and u name it.. it was mental.. i spent so much money on it and felt they were working but after getting back on a bulk up phase, all i did was protein and eat with no supplements.. not even creatine and i got the same exact results if not better
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
the green kind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C 01TA
Oh ya, about supplements, i tried them all and through experience, u are shitting it all out. Besides creatine powder, everything else is just in the head. I tried animal paks and andro this and Glutamin that and carnintine and u name it.. it was mental.. i spent so much money on it and felt they were working but after getting back on a bulk up phase, all i did was protein and eat with no supplements.. not even creatine and i got the same exact results if not better

It's funny how mixed people are on this stuff. I gave something like that a try but had no luck in the past, and hear other people try the same thing will all sorts of luck.. arg

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:45 PM

I trained for bodybuilding about ten years ago when I was in the Marines. Came in fourth in the West Coast Armed Forces Bodybuilding Championships. I used to walk on a treadmill to burn bodyfat. The idea is to walk very fast--at a speed that you would normally break into a jog. The idea was that walking that fast--as opposed to jogging--was inefficient and you burned more bodyfat. Worked for me.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C 01TA
yea, your mind set affects everything but on the other hand
animal pak is just a all around mutli vitamin, meneral, antioxident etc etc.
nothing to help w/ gaining just help what give back what life and working out takes away.
glutamin is good for keeping the muscles intact when your sliming down, helps protect your muslce from being burned away and plus its a needed amino acid to growth.
i thought L-carnintine was used mainly for memory and helth reasons?
dont know much about that.
creatine is just turn your muslces into a spong and is realllly good w/ body bulding when short burst of power are needed. only problem is, when you stop taking it all your gains go too.

protein and patience will get anyman will you want to be, plus what you gain will be with you until you stop working out and stop feeding it.
correct me if im wrong on these, thats why i posted its what i understand could be misinformed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement