Cutting down on carbs- help! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

Cutting down on carbs- help!

Since the first of the year, i have been pretty consistent on working out and running. But diet is my weakness. I have never dieted, and don't plan to actually do a diet like atkins or south beach etc. But I do want to see more results, beyond what I get from exercise, and I know i need to eat better to do that.

I know many of you have had success with the low carb diets, so give me some tips on foods. again, i am not doing this gung ho, just trying to make some small changes that can last.

so given i am a complete picky eater and a carb addict, i need some suggestions. I just want to watch my carbs, and cut back some, not as drastic as measuring them etc. I eat a lot of carbs.......being that i don't particularly like veggies, fruit or fish, i eat a lot of junk- love potatos, rice, pasta, junk food, candy etc.

so i am trying to focus on cutting out at least the white foods like potatos/rice/pasta at both breakfast and lunch. I usually have at least one with dinner, although i usually eat brown rice, not white. I figure if I can cut out bread/pot/rice and pasta from my first two meals, it should help a bit? so what are some good ideas for lunches then?

i usually have a protein shake in the morning, so breakfast is covered- i guess i can do a couple of eggs if i want? what are good ideas to bring for lunches? i usually have a sandwich or baked chips with soup. i plan to cut out the bread and chips at lunch for sure. today i am doing tuna with mustard and pickles, and then might have a tomato 'soup on the go' later if i get hungry. i have almonds for a snack before the gym. what are other good choices for a picky carb addict trying to cut back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Hired Hand

No more beer.

I have found that hte biggest key to dieting isn't so much what you eat (saturated fats aside), but how much. Portion control and counting calories are a must. Enjoy your carbs, but keep them in moderation.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
No more beer.

I have found that hte biggest key to dieting isn't so much what you eat (saturated fats aside), but how much. Portion control and counting calories are a must. Enjoy your carbs, but keep them in moderation.
yeah, working on that as well. amazing when you buy one of those frozen WW meals, how small they are....but those are the portions we should be eating, we are all just so used to having large portions that we don't realize it. I am pretty good at counting calories and noticing portion sizes, but i could cut back more.

yeah, no more beer....ugh. that one will kill me. at least i was drinking ultra, right? if only i could handle hard stuff. with summer coming up, i will be drinking more than my usual once every 2 weeks that i do now.

yeah, i gotta have some carbs, between running a few miles in the morning and weights at night, i would have no energy without them.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 12:14 PM
XL

Why do you need to go on a low-carb diet? Since you are active, I don't see what is wrong with watching your calories and avoiding fats.

If you're going to go on the low-carb diet anyways, you still need to watch calories. A meal may have only a few "net carbs," but it still has more calories than a normal meal. It probably has more fat and sugar too. Not to mention all the added bullshit for flavor and texture.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 09:46 PM
None

I think Big Matt had great results with Hot Wings like lemon basil or garlic parmasan.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 09:00 AM

cutting the carbs out of your first two meals is not the best idea that is when your metabolism is the best. if anything I would cut it out more at dinner time.. on the carb thing.. I would just cut them out a little bit like you said.. if you were to do something more like atkins.. then once you stop you will just gain it all right back.. do it more gradual.. whether it is cutting it out or whatever.

I hope this makes sense.. I know about this stuff called MNS it smooths out your metabolism.. if you are interested about finding out more om me...

Hope this has helped good luck in everything
Keli
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Crash Test Dummy

I'm gonna need some pics so I can give an accurate opinion. LOL

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by y2kgirl01
cutting the carbs out of your first two meals is not the best idea that is when your metabolism is the best. if anything I would cut it out more at dinner time.. on the carb thing.. I would just cut them out a little bit like you said.. if you were to do something more like atkins.. then once you stop you will just gain it all right back.. do it more gradual.. whether it is cutting it out or whatever.

I hope this makes sense.. I know about this stuff called MNS it smooths out your metabolism.. if you are interested about finding out more om me...

Hope this has helped good luck in everything
Keli
I just want to second this. When you eat, what ever it is you choose to eat, is every bit as important as what you eat.

First thing I noticed is you specified 3 meal, which is what puts your metabolisim in the roller coaster high low...this is no good. A good rule is to eat every 2-3 hours and then those small meals don't seem so small, your metabolism stays fairly consistant and you don't feel so hungry which will eventually push you to pig out. Eat foods that have lasting energy like the breads and pastas early in the day, watch out for bad combinations, cut what you can live with out and stop eating about 3hrs before you go to bed. If you come up with a smart plan you can live with, it will make acheiving your goals easier. Good luck! You can do it, no problem!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 06:06 PM

I agree with the other guy. Aslong as you stay active you don't need drastic cuts in carbs, calories etc. You can have your candy bars EVERY once in awhile..along with beer.

And like the other people said. Breakfast is very important. Besure you intake a good amount of carbs and protein. I like bagles with tuna... oatmeal. Alot of times steak. I don't eat alot of eggs because it's easier to get more nutrition and protein from meat. You will need to find something green you like to eat. Even if it's just a salad. Sweet potatoes and rice are good carbs. Just burn more than you take in. Get into habit. You know what foods are good and bad.Until you learn how to eat a balanced meal..i wouldn't recommend increasing meals. Just be sure to get protein in after your work out. chicken, shake, whatever...plus your 3.

Everybody's body is different. Just because one diet thing worked for Joe doesn't mean it will work for you. There are health problems into factor, metabolism, genectics. You will have to find out what works.

Last edited by NateTrun2; 05-12-2004 at 06:14 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2004, 06:20 PM

Re: Cutting down on carbs- help!

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle95gt
Since the first of the year, i have been pretty consistent on working out and running. But diet is my weakness. I have never dieted, and don't plan to actually do a diet like atkins or south beach etc. But I do want to see more results, beyond what I get from exercise, and I know i need to eat better to do that.

I know many of you have had success with the low carb diets, so give me some tips on foods. again, i am not doing this gung ho, just trying to make some small changes that can last.

so given i am a complete picky eater and a carb addict, i need some suggestions. I just want to watch my carbs, and cut back some, not as drastic as measuring them etc. I eat a lot of carbs.......being that i don't particularly like veggies, fruit or fish, i eat a lot of junk- love potatos, rice, pasta, junk food, candy etc.

so i am trying to focus on cutting out at least the white foods like potatos/rice/pasta at both breakfast and lunch. I usually have at least one with dinner, although i usually eat brown rice, not white. I figure if I can cut out bread/pot/rice and pasta from my first two meals, it should help a bit? so what are some good ideas for lunches then?

i usually have a protein shake in the morning, so breakfast is covered- i guess i can do a couple of eggs if i want? what are good ideas to bring for lunches? i usually have a sandwich or baked chips with soup. i plan to cut out the bread and chips at lunch for sure. today i am doing tuna with mustard and pickles, and then might have a tomato 'soup on the go' later if i get hungry. i have almonds for a snack before the gym. what are other good choices for a picky carb addict trying to cut back?
Another good thing to do is figure out your total calorie intake for a day. Limit it to around 2000 max and stay hydrated. The other thing is to not eat after 7 pm unless your work schedule does not allow for this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Time Served

Like everyone said, cut down on carbs later during the day. Also I don't see why you should not eat potatoes, just have them boiled (if you want to peel them, do it after boiling). Potatoes are good source of nutrition (C-vit & potassium). Also switch to whole pasta and rice, they have fiber unlike enriched kind.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

Re: Re: Cutting down on carbs- help!

Quote:
Originally posted by workhorse91
Another good thing to do is figure out your total calorie intake for a day. Limit it to around 2000 max and stay hydrated. The other thing is to not eat after 7 pm unless your work schedule does not allow for this.
thanks all.

unfortunately my schedule doesn't permit me to eat dinner early. i have a habit of going straight from work to the gym to lift weights. I usually leave work around 6 and don't hit the iron until about 6:30 and usually i am there an hour and a 1/2 or so (chest/tri/abs one night, back/bi/abs second night, legs/shoulders/abs third night, night off, repeat). so i don't get home until 8 or 8:30 most nights and eat late.

i do eat more than 3 meals, although some are more like snacks- like an apple with PB, protein shakes, some almonds etc. I always eat a good breakfast- protein shake with some high fiber cereal, some eggs or some oatmeal.

i ain't doing too bad, but just really wanted to see some abs showing through etc. I'm close, but not where i want to be! thanks for all the advice.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Time Served

Re: Re: Re: Cutting down on carbs- help!

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle95gt
so i don't get home until 8 or 8:30 most nights and eat late.
Get something to eat before working out, a protein shake is easy and very good before workout. Then eat light dinner with is high in protein and very low in carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement