BJJ/Sub grappling training? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

BJJ/Sub grappling training?

Anybody know any good local (Dallas Co.) places to do BJJ or submission grappling? I want to get back into training after my year-and-a-half layoff. There's a judo place locally, but I'd rather go somewhere I can concentrate on groundwork as opposed to being a throwing dummy. Plus, I hardly ever find people my size to roll with (6-2, 250). Anyone who can point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

PS: Cost is a factor. I can't afford $150-200/mo to train, that's just prohibitive.

Thanks for the responses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 11:54 PM
None

The Gracies are based here in Dallas.

You're correct. It's Machado I was thinking of.

I trained in Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu Roppokai under a private instructor in Ft Worth.

Last edited by Jedi; 05-08-2004 at 08:32 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi
The Gracies are based here in Dallas.
Which Gracies are here? I think Renzo is based in NYC, Royce, Royler, and Rickson are based in Cali...I know the Machados are here, but I'm not too up on the local schools. I trained in Vegas, so I'm lost as to who has what here.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 04:27 AM
in memory of "lil' Roy"

you could try GUY METZGERS!!!

winner of 5 out of 9 at the 2007 spring cruise!
winner of 2 out of 4 at Redline 7/21/07
winner of 4 out of 5 at the 10/21/07 fall cruise!
2009 spring cruise- won 1 out of 2 races!!!!!!
2010 spring cruise- 4 wins 2 losses but only raced 1 guy on my list and as usual couldn't find the others!!!!

RIP Roy Sebastion Fraga "lil' Roy" born december 7th 2010 gone back to heaven december 7th 2010 you will always be in our hearts and thoughts my special little grandson.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Does he still run the Dallas branch of the Lion's Den?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 07:01 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally posted by OMEGA DOOM
you could try GUY METZGERS!!!
For jiu jits?

I train in Arlington off of I30 at Texas self defance(when I get to go). The instructors name is Orlando he got his black under Machado. I think I'm going to go back to working out at my place with books and videos. I have everything you need to do it so I figure why spend all that money. The cost to train jiu jits is through the roof right now and I am sick of spending 100$bucks a month to workout twice a week. If you would like to work out feel free to pm me.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the cost is insane. I want to enter the TexasSubmission tournament at the end of May, but the problem is that I'm cold, out of shape, and haven't trained in almost 2 years. I just love to compete. Anybody else gonna enter? I'll try to get into Adult beginner SuperHeavy, as I doubt in 3 weeks I can get down to under 220 comfortably.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

I-30/Collins by the Chili's? I used to live right there...that used to be the Machado school, right? I drove by there a bunch but never went in. I've since moved back to Garland.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Bitter Italian

Quote:
Originally posted by CrashStitches
I-30/Collins by the Chili's? I used to live right there...that used to be the Machado school, right? I drove by there a bunch but never went in. I've since moved back to Garland.

Yeah that was Machados place way back in the day. If you are in Garland you are going to have to drive to find a place that is any good. I know Molers is off of Macaurther in North Irving and a black belt that was under him just opened a new school called Star jiu jitsu he is off 35 in Lewisville.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2004, 10:04 AM
Time Served

I just started training at Texas self defense about two months ago. I just moved to Arlington, and a friend told me about it. I enjoy it a lot.
Brian
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Lifer

Guy Mezger! is in Richardson and only charges a 100 bucks a month. I guy that I work with trains their. And you also get access to every thing at the gym.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Time Served

I would love how to learn the basics of submission fighting or one of those badass fighting styles.. i love to watch UFC, Pride Fc, and K1 Kickboxing.. those guys are in shape and can probally make a helluv a living instructing newbs like us..

Living life well..
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by Baller
Guy Mezger! is in Richardson and only charges a 100 bucks a month. I guy that I work with trains their. And you also get access to every thing at the gym.
Is there a website? Thanks
Brian

You can't put syrup on shit and call it pancakes.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Crackalack!

I went to Mohler's for a short period of time. It's a nice gym. Yusef left there a few months ago and opened his own gym. He would probably charge under $100 as well for unlimited classes and cross-training. Here's his website. He has a nice resume as well. Tell him I sent you. I just saw him Friday at Fight Night at the Westin...

http://www.starjiujitsu.com/index.html
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Time Served

I train up at Corkran's up in Lewisville. He too, got his black belt from Machado. M + F is bjj, T + TH is muy thai, and Wednesday is vale tudo...vale tudo is badass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement