best workouts for pecs? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
best workouts for pecs?

info please

Tangstang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 07:14 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Flat bench
Incline Dumbell press
DEcline Hammer strength
PEc dec.

works for me.
White_lightning is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Blue5spd's a titty baby
 
cool cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: hair club for men
Posts: 13,472
What is Pec dec?
cool cat is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally posted by cool cat
What is Pec dec?
it's pretty much the machine equivilent of doing Flat flys.
White_lightning is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 09:44 AM
None
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Anti-Newbie
Posts: 12,675
I like the Chest dip.

Jedi is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi
I like the Chest dip.

chest dip focuses ALOT more on tricep then chest...and puts alot of un needed stress on your shoulder joints.
White_lightning is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 11:33 AM
None
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Anti-Newbie
Posts: 12,675
True, it's more diversified across the muscle groups than others like the bench or flys. I use a wide grip on dips, plus I adjust my body angle to lean forward. Like most things, this is just my experience and opinion.
Jedi is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi
True, it's more diversified across the muscle groups than others like the bench or flys. I use a wide grip on dips, plus I adjust my body angle to lean forward. Like most things, this is just my experience and opinion.
I agree that it is a V-good movement. but its not a mass movement.. also, if you dont train chest/tri's on the same day, then you are hitting your tri's hard on a non tri day. I found for me it works best working Shoulders/tri's instead of chest/tri's
White_lightning is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Lifer
 
96BluOvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Corpus Christi, TX.
Posts: 4,117
I like using dumbells, push ups and dips.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
96BluOvl is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Formerly 5.0Vert
 
Tangstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 9,823
Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
Flat bench
Incline Dumbell press
DEcline Hammer strength
PEc dec.

works for me.
ok, i've got a simple little weight room out in my pool house, i have a bench and some machine stuff(whatever you want to call it) but i don't have access to anything that would work well for a dip, what are the other three(put in simple terms for people who haven't worked out to often in the past like me), and what are "flat fly's"?

Tangstang is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 07:45 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0Vert
ok, i've got a simple little weight room out in my pool house, i have a bench and some machine stuff(whatever you want to call it) but i don't have access to anything that would work well for a dip, what are the other three(put in simple terms for people who haven't worked out to often in the past like me), and what are "flat fly's"?
INclind dumbell press


Peck deck


Decline hammer strenght

White_lightning is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Worship me
 
AL P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 34,345
I recently went from the Hammer Strength decline to the free weight decline and I am digging it. I also changed from incline dumbells to incline barbell free weights. I like to change it up every once in a while, I think it really helps to keep things fresh.
AL P is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
Any reason why you recommend the Hammer strength decline as opposed to Dumbell declines?

I usually do flat bench, dumbell inclines, dumbell declines, then flys with cables.
5111 is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally posted by 5111
Any reason why you recommend the Hammer strength decline as opposed to Dumbell declines?

I usually do flat bench, dumbell inclines, dumbell declines, then flys with cables.
personal prefernce. i have a shoulder injury that makes it hard to do decline dumbell press.. so i do the machine.
White_lightning is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
personal prefernce. i have a shoulder injury that makes it hard to do decline dumbell press.. so i do the machine.
I hear you there. If I am not careful or if I go too deep then my bad shoulder starts to hurt. All because I was too stupid to completely warm up once
5111 is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 11:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 727
Here is the chest workout Swoll5.0 and I do every Monday:
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Decline Bench or Decline Dumbell
Cable Crossover
Flat fly's
Pec Dec
Machine fly's
Decline, elevated pushups
IRISHdjt is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHdjt
Here is the chest workout Swoll5.0 and I do every Monday:
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Decline Bench or Decline Dumbell
Cable Crossover
Flat fly's
Pec Dec
Machine fly's
Decline, elevated pushups
IMO you are wasting your time doing more then 3-4 excercises per body part..
White_lightning is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 03:00 AM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
IMO you are wasting your time doing more then 3-4 excercises per body part..
Exactly. Any more than 12 sets on the larger body parts, and you're either wasting time, or wasting energy. Pick 3-4 exercises and bust ass. Change up as often as you'd like, but anything more than 12 sets per body part is a waste. Today I did flat bench, incline dumbbells, cable flys and Hammer Decline, next time I work chest it will probably be different, but I won't work more than 12 hard sets, no matter what exercises I choose.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 04:05 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally posted by tex
Exactly. Any more than 12 sets on the larger body parts, and you're either wasting time, or wasting energy. Pick 3-4 exercises and bust ass. Change up as often as you'd like, but anything more than 12 sets per body part is a waste. Today I did flat bench, incline dumbbells, cable flys and Hammer Decline, next time I work chest it will probably be different, but I won't work more than 12 hard sets, no matter what exercises I choose.
you can do more then 12 sets.. depending on reps... I do between 10-15 sets on big muscle groups depending on how i feel and rep range.. im not going to do 15 sets of 15.. but once for example.. on say i did chest
135x10
225x10
365x6
405x5
415x4
then did incline dumbell press with teh 150s.
8,6 and 6.
decline i did 3 plates for
12 and 12..

thats 10 sets.. normaly i would have done 3 on decline and then 3 on pecdec, but i was tired.. so i didnt bother going on... some days i do more sets of bench.. or more of the other excercises.. but 6-7 excercises on on day IMO is counterproductive.
White_lightning is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 04:09 AM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
Bitch, didn't know I had to qauntify shit. How about, anything more than 12 sets, with a 8-12 rep/set range is probably over doing it?

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally posted by tex
Bitch, didn't know I had to qauntify shit. How about, anything more than 12 sets, with a 8-12 rep/set range is probably over doing it?
in MOST cases not all
it depends person to person.. but with number of movements they listed.. looks like they do 20+ sets with is a waste of time..
*SLAP*
White_lightning is offline  
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 04:15 AM
tex
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ATL
Posts: 12,790
I said PROBABLY, fucker! And not all of us are freaks like you!

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates
tex is offline  
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning

135x10
225x10
365x6
405x5
415x4
then did incline dumbell press with teh 150s.
8,6 and 6.
decline i did 3 plates for
12 and 12..
DAMN YOUR A BEAST!

I usually do:
135x10
225x5
275x8 or 295x5
275x8 or 295x5
275x8 or 295x5
225x5-8 (failure)

Then I do 3 sets of 8 with the 75-80lb dumbells on incline and decline.

Finally I top it off with 3 sets of 8 on cable flys (uppers and lowers).

Maybe I am doing too much then.
5111 is offline  
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!
 
White_lightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SMackdownville,TX
Posts: 13,296
Quote:
Originally posted by 5111
DAMN YOUR A BEAST!

I usually do:
135x10
225x5
275x8 or 295x5
275x8 or 295x5
275x8 or 295x5
225x5-8 (failure)

Then I do 3 sets of 8 with the 75-80lb dumbells on incline and decline.

Finally I top it off with 3 sets of 8 on cable flys (uppers and lowers).

Maybe I am doing too much then.
not really.. i cant go heavy owing to recouping from a shoulder injury.. i was on track to move 5 plates in jan.. and then retore my rotator cuff.. so had to drop all the way back to 135.. but i have slowly worked my way back to 40 plates.
White_lightning is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome