help a skinny ass out here - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Instigator

help a skinny ass out here

my wife and i are joining a fitness center next week probably...i have never been much on lifting weights but i am ready to start. wanting to build up my frame and have a nice tone look. what/where to start...

here is a pic of me from last weekend in florida(as you can tell i need some muscle )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Hired Hand

Lift heavy and eat alot of lean protein.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Instigator

lean protein=steak, chicken etc correct?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by runin90lx
lean protein=steak, chicken etc correct?
Steak isn't the leanest of sources, but it's a good source of nastural creatine and great for anyone wantiing to bulk up. The majority should come from Chicken, tuna, turkey, and lean fish due to the cholesterol concerns of ingesting alot of red meat. A protein shake or two is a must as well.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
Steak isn't the leanest of sources, but it's a good source of nastural creatine and great for anyone wantiing to bulk up. The majority should come from Chicken, tuna, turkey, and lean fish due to the cholesterol concerns of ingesting alot of red meat. A protein shake or two is a must as well.
guess i'll be eating lots of chicken/turkey cause cant stand tuna or fish in general..yack!

and i have some protein stuff at home that you mix with milk..is that what yoru talking about? or do i need to try that creatine(sp?) type stuff?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 04:20 PM
None

You're gonna wanna start on a conditioning phase for a little while to get your body up to the capability of thowing some weight around. Otherwise you're going to injure yourself.

Other than eating clean (no junk food, cut down on sugars and sodas), just be smart about it and take care of yoru body.

Personally I'm not jumping head first into the supplements arena until after I've done a few months of clean weight training on a normal diet. After that I'll have a better idea of if I where to go.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi
You're gonna wanna start on a conditioning phase for a little while to get your body up to the capability of thowing some weight around. Otherwise you're going to injure yourself.
yes the 1st month or so will definetly be light weights until i build up some strength cause i definetly dont have much now
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 04:44 PM
None

Not strength as in muscles, but really it's strength of your joints that's important. If your ligaments and tendons aren't use to the abuse of exercise you can do some serious damage if you aren't careful. Smooth adn controlled moments will keep the danger down, but ya still gotta be careful.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

gettin swoll

hard work , determination and a good diet is all you need.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 12:09 AM
Time Served

eat 6 meals a day-- high in protien-- lift heavy wieghts -- low reps.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 12:18 AM
F U C K Off!

i agree on getting your joints used to lifting... its alot easier to turn fat into muscle and im guessing u have a high metabolism... eat some chicken pasta, fish, etc and get into a regular workout ethic! btw skinny guys rule!

-94 2dr Tahoe w/ 3" lift
-96 Black TA 6spd
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Mr. Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by 1Fast97GT
i agree on getting your joints used to lifting... its alot easier to turn fat into muscle and im guessing u have a high metabolism... eat some chicken pasta, fish, etc and get into a regular workout ethic! btw skinny guys rule!
yes i have a VERY high metabolism......

<--ate lots of chicken speghetti last nite
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 05:27 PM
gettin sideways

Bill, im gonna join too to get some of this fat off and get in shape, we can talk to Jimmy and he can probably give both of us a good workout routine

93 LX coupe
03 Cobra
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Lifer

Hell yeah!

Let's hear a good routine for the skinny guys! I've been working on my chest and arms on the old bench press I stole from my brother. I know what you mean about getting the ligaments and joints warmed up...I thought my right shoulder was gonna' fall off a few weeks ago.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 06:13 PM
None

Quote:
Originally posted by Red92Stang
Bill, im gonna join too to get some of this fat off and get in shape, we can talk to Jimmy and he can probably give both of us a good workout routine
I got a good one for ya. (from www.wannabebig.com) Do as much weight as you can so your last rep of each set is just at the point of failure.

MONDAY : Chest and Back

Chest
Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Low Incline Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Dips : 2 x 6-8 reps

Back
Chin ups : 2 x 6-8 reps
Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Barbell Rows : 2 x 6-8 reps
Shrugs : 1 x 10 reps

WEDNESDAY : Legs

Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hack Squats : 2 x 6-8 reps
Leg Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Straight Legged Deadlifts : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Calve Raises : 4 x 10 reps
Crunches : 4 x 8-10 reps

FRIDAY : Shoulders, Triceps and Biceps

Shoulders
Military Press in Rack : 2 x 6-8 reps
Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
Standing Lateral Raises : 2 x 10 reps

Triceps
Narrow Grip bench Press : 2 x 6-8 reps
French Press : 2 x 6-8 reps

Biceps
Barbell Curls : 2 x 6-8 reps
Hammer Curls : 1 x 6-8 reps
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Lifer

Thanks for the routine!

What's a french press?

A hammer curl is when you turn your wrist 90*, right?
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

IMO doing chest and back on the same day is NOT a great idea.. you never want to work 2 big muscle groups on the same day.. if you search.. you will find i posted my routine a while back..worked for me
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by VETTKLR
Thanks for the routine!

What's a french press?

A hammer curl is when you turn your wrist 90*, right?
The french press (also known as skullcrushers) are performed lying flat on your back on the bench holding a barbell directly over your head, elbows straight, palms facing forward. Keep your upper arm perpendicular to your body through out the movement, and lower the weight by bending at the elbows to just beyonf a 45* angle.

Hammer curls are done with your tumbs facing forward, like holding a hammer.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 04:26 AM

Here are a few pointers.

1) Intake more calories than you burn on a daily basis.(Lean calories.)
2) Eat plenty of protein. Rule of thumb= 1-1.5 grams per lb of body weight daily.
3) Weight training is also a must for toning up and bulking in general.
4) As far as supplements go, I really like "N-LARGE2" made by Prolab. It's a great weight gain/protein supplement that actually tastes good.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 12:37 PM

do that and steroids
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Lifer

I got a buddy that suggested Cell Tech and Nitro Tech....is that some pretty good stuff?

This dude has been lifting for over 3 years now, and he said they helped him overcome a plateau he reached in size.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
I got a buddy that suggested Cell Tech and Nitro Tech....is that some pretty good stuff?

This dude has been lifting for over 3 years now, and he said they helped him overcome a plateau he reached in size.
please see " white lightnings super shake"

oh yeah. and EAT MOR CHIKEN!!
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I mixed up a "super shake' last night and it was the SHIT!!!
can you sa 60+ g of protein???

i took a packet of betastatin WP which has
42g protein, 2.5g sugars,227 callories and Ingredients: BetaStatin-WPI2TM (Ultrafiltered/Cross Flow Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyed Whey Peptides, L-Glutamine, Glutamine Peptides, Taurine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Arginine, Acetyl L-Carnitine), BetaStatin Precise Carbohydrate Blend (Maltodextrin, Brown Rice Complex, Oats), Whey Protein Concentrate, Vitamin and Mineral blend (Di-Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Gluconate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Iron Electrolytic, Zine Oxide, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Ergocalciferol, Pyridoxine HCL, Copper Gluconate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotion, Potassium Iodide, GTF Chromium, Sodium Molybdate, Cyanocobolamin), Natural and Artificial Flavorings, Creatine Monohydrate, Xanthan Gum, DigezymeTM Multi-Enzyme Blend, Alpha Keto Glutarate, *Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium, Vanadyl Sulfate. *PHENYLKETONURICS: Contains Phenylalanine.

Dumped in a scoop of Sci fit Whey protein which is 22g..10 g of glutamine powder and 16oz of high protein milk.. mixed and chugged it.. tasted AWESOME!!... can you say feed the body?
d.

Wow!
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:52 AM

Don't rely too much on the shakes. Remember to eat as much NATURAL high protein foods as possible. Chicken and eggs are very good sources of quality protein.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Wow!
You don't need that much protein in one serving. It's best to split it in smaller quantities such as 5-6 servings per day.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 09:33 AM

spinach is a better source of protien than chicken.. these guys have a lot of great ideas.. good luck man!!!
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 04:38 PM
Crackalack!

I've got some fresh spinach in my fridge and it says that 4 cups only has 2g of protein......
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Hatton
I've got some fresh spinach in my fridge and it says that 4 cups only has 2g of protein......
O.K. not spinach dip.. actual leaves of spinach... hahaha j/k
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Crackalack!

Nutritional information for 1 cup of raw spinach leaves. (just like are in my fridge )

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 cup
Calories 6.6
Calories from Fat 0.945

% Daily Value *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 0.105g 0%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturated Fat 0.0168g 0%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0438g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.003g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 23.7mg 1%

Potassium 167.4mg 5%

Total Carbohydrate 1.05g 0%

Dietary Fiber 0.81g 3%

Protein 0.858g 2%

Alcohol 0g
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 02:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by y2kgirl01
O.K. not spinach dip.. actual leaves of spinach... hahaha j/k
That's a myth. Don't ask me to try and recite the whole thing, but short story is that someone put a decimal point in the wrong place and caused the whole "Popeye" thing about spinach being so much more full of protein.
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 02:13 AM

I know most you guys are into the clean protein fads. Calories are a must and I cannot stress this enough on this forum for building muscles mass. Eat ALOT of red meat. chicken is too clean. Red meat has tons of amino acids needed to gain muscles. Try to get all your nutrients from whole food intake meaning real food. Heavy weights low reputitions, but like others said start with light weights and high reputitions first. Every once in awhile it's good to eat a great big burger, or goto your fave buffet and pig out. You cannot be lean and gain mass. That is a misconception. You lose weight after gaining mass because muscle goes with it. Rice ,steak, chicken, - Fish is ok some of the time but real clean. Aminos acids and calories are in order from greatest to least.

1. Beef
2. Chicken
3. Fish

Steak most the time is best. High carbo intake in the morning. Eat bacon, streak, eggs, rice for breakfast. No potaetos, only sweet potaetos. Eat a minimum of 5 times daily. keep fiber intake high along with ruffage.

Last edited by NateTrun2; 04-26-2004 at 02:41 AM.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Lifer

Progress Report

Well, how are the rest of the skinny guys coming along?

I'm making some pretty good progress. I was struggling at first to work out with the 35's (115 lbs.) . About 2 or 3 weeks later, I'm getting 1 set of 8 with the 45's (135 lbs), then the next set to failure, which is about 6 or so. Last set is 2 or 3. My chest is burning like a sumbitch, and it feels great!!!

Once I get some strength in my chest, I'll start working on everything else...I think this is my mental thing...not for sure. I'm just not as excited to work on my skinny legs yet as I am on upper-body strength.

My weight bench is pretty nice for bench pressing. It's got 3 incline settings on it that I haven't started messing with yet...still working on it flat. But, the damn leg curl attachment on the bottom of it sucks ass! That's probably why I'm not so pumped on workin on my legs.

As soon as I get some decent strength, I'll start hitting the gym where all the real weight machines are.

Git 'er done!!!
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 12:51 AM

isolate a differnet muscle group every time u work out or u dould divide the days in 2 a push and a pull day
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Lifer

Skinny guy making progress here, too. Started lifting 3 times a week right at 3 months ago. Never had lifted anything before. So far it's been chest on monday, back/shoulders on wednesday/arms on friday. Adding Legs this week on either Saturday or Sunday. We've been measuring and I've added just over 3" to my chest and almost 1 3/4" to each arm. My neck has slightly improved and my waist/stomach have maintained while dropping some body fat. That was without changing my terrible diet. To some guys I know those aren't great gains, but I'm built like a scarecrow. In the past week (since last measure), we've really started changing diet and have started supplementing our diet. So far, so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement