So my first trip to a "Health club" in years... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
The Alpha Omega Frog

Arrow So my first trip to a "Health club" in years...

I had the day off and decided to workout at Joseph's gym (Bally's in Irving) instead of driving all the way to Stroud's.

Definetly an experience. There were quite a few things I liked.

1. Newer equipment. I especially liked the hammer strength machines, they were practically brand new and barely worn.

2. Super cold AC.

3. Plenty of room

4. The plates were plastic/rubber coated and had handles. Though because of their shape it made deadlifts different.

Now the things I didnt like...
Not one big guy in there and all of them strutted around like they were some kind of Greek God. They stacked their weights wrong, never reracked their own weights and many had tremendous staring issues at anything and everything. Very bad gym etiquette. I think I help some people workout though. They started adding more weight when I came by and the grunts got louder.

Plus I noticed all the machines had these little covers surrounding the weight stack to dress them up or I guess give you privacy as to how much you are lifting. The only other thing was many of the weight stacks went up in weight by 15lbs instead of the 10lbs Im used to.

And what is up with the music! I was ready to go to sleep. It was like elevator music. Nothing that got your blood going.....

Just thought I would share. I like going because of the great selection of equipment but I think I would have to get back used to the staring....its distracting.

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 01:57 PM
None

Karen -

You've got an open invitation if you want to check out Lifetime up here in Plano (Preston & Legacy). I'm impressed as hell with the facilities here although it is more expensive than others.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Hired Hand

Hammer Strength machines are the shizznizzle! you were missin' out before, they are great for heavy mass movements.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:14 PM

Frogger can't complain about 1-4 as they are good things as for the music..........gotta love the beauty of an mp3.

Jedi........what's a Lifetime membership running for, roughly?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 07:59 PM
None

Bout $65 for just myself, but that includes full access to the entire facility.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi
Karen -

You've got an open invitation if you want to check out Lifetime up here in Plano (Preston & Legacy). I'm impressed as hell with the facilities here although it is more expensive than others.
ya lifetime is freakin huge! plenty of room and plenty of equipment
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Worship me

Karen's just a little too hardcore for the Bally's....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 09:51 AM

Hey guys, how "hardcore" would you say it is at those Lifetime Fitness's???? We have one being built by me, trying to compete with us, 24 Hour Fitness Sport & SuperSport (used to be the Q Club), Bally's, and a few small gyms around the way. I know it's going to be almost 3 times as big as my gym, where I work (the SuperSport 24 HR), and have many more amenities.

My lifting partners and I were thinking about joining, just to join, especially while they have great deals right now. The building is not even finished. Anyways, with all the extra amenities, and one of my friends said up to 200 lb DumbBells, which is a big + in my book. Our club just got the 110s and 120s, and everything up to 100s under, too.

I was just curious to see how hardcore it actually is in there. We work out in the middle of the day, so it's pretty empty, so it's our house when we're in there. But I was thinking if I'm going to join another gym, and have my free membership to 24 Hr (employee), then I'm going to join an actual "lifter's" gym.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
The Alpha Omega Frog

Quote:
Originally posted by Jedi
Karen -

Thanks Chris. I may talke you up on that. It wa a nice change and my workout went by pretty quickly.

Aaron....I certainly was missing out. Love those machines.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 10:24 AM

Thumbs up

Strouds owns! LOL!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
The Alpha Omega Frog

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
Karen's just a little too hardcore for the Bally's....
Quit making fun of me ya big bully.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Bite Me!!!

Lifetime Fitness in our area has like 6000sqf of just free weights... I haven't really looked to see the max weight on the dumbells... but you can get in there and do what ever you want with out weighting much at allll...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 04:43 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
Quit making fun of me ya big bully.
No, I'm serious. Any chick who plays football has got to be a bit extreme. Just don't beat me up
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2004, 06:15 PM
I gots famous friends

Texas Gym in Mesquite..... Oates and Ferguson.....

65 bux a year for the membership.

Place stinks to high heaven of sweat and farts.

You go in there and people are demanding you get in there and get a set with them..... someone is always there to spot you. Music is loud as hell on the Eagle.... guys don't need to wear shirts. Lots of yelling, cursing, egging on, etc...

Good place to get damn good results. The guy Kim that owns the place will get you in championship form, no matter what your goals are - strength, physique, etc... I would still go there except it's too far for me....
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by 93LXHORSE
Texas Gym in Mesquite..... Oates and Ferguson.....

65 bux a year for the membership.

Place stinks to high heaven of sweat and farts.

You go in there and people are demanding you get in there and get a set with them..... someone is always there to spot you. Music is loud as hell on the Eagle.... guys don't need to wear shirts. Lots of yelling, cursing, egging on, etc...

Good place to get damn good results. The guy Kim that owns the place will get you in championship form, no matter what your goals are - strength, physique, etc... I would still go there except it's too far for me....
Wow, that sounds like some places in Oklahoma that I used to go to. Not a woman in site either usually....
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 10:36 AM
I gots famous friends

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
Wow, that sounds like some places in Oklahoma that I used to go to. Not a woman in site either usually....
There were about 10 regulars (girls) back when I was going. 2 of them went to contest for bodybuilding a couple of years and placed very well.

One girl that was training for strenght could bench 265. Her voice was lower than mine, too. I'll bet her clit was an inch long.

This guy Kim would tell you if you wanted to go to contest, he'd tell you exactly what to do, and if you followed his direction to the T, you would have no problem placing pretty high.

I watched guys go through massive building phases, bulking up with crazy 600 g of carb 250 g of protein diets during the winter, then start shredding a couple of months before contest until they were drinking distilled water and eating no carbs.....

Then they'd go to contest and after that it'd be a free for all with the eating, they'd get all bloated and fat for while..... LOL
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2004, 05:25 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Texas Gym is right down the street from my school (Bishop Lynch), our wrestling team used to work out there.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 11:17 PM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Re: So my first trip to a "Health club" in years...

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
I They stacked their weights wrong, never reracked their own weights and many had tremendous staring issues at anything and everything.
I've never understood the logic of those who are willing to lift yet are too damned lazy to rack their own shit after they are through... as if it's too much work.
I have to be thankful for working nights and having our company gym all to myself so I can grunt and scream all I want. Too bad there's no women there to hear me.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 11:26 PM
None

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackandBlueLX

My lifting partners and I were thinking about joining, just to join, especially while they have great deals right now. The building is not even finished. Anyways, with all the extra amenities, and one of my friends said up to 200 lb DumbBells, which is a big + in my book. Our club just got the 110s and 120s, and everything up to 100s under, too.
The highest I saw tonight was 130, but they had space for prolly another 12 sets.

It's a health club, not a pure sweat and testosterone lifting gym. But, they've got more weights and machines than I can use, so it's all good. As an ultimate goal I'd love to do a set of hammer curls with a 130lb, but I'm having enough trouble with a 35.

I'm nowhere near running out of equipment here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement