Hi rep workouts....... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Hi rep workouts.......

I am doing this workout to lean out my upper body. I have decent muscle mass, but I tend to get too big in the upper body if I lift heavy.

Trying to get the most effective working doing hi rep stuff. I want results. My goal is to be lean and cut up top.

If I am lifting heavy, I do (with dumb bells)

80 lb flat bench - 10 reps x 4
70 lb incline 10 reps x4
45 lb flys 10 reps x 4

That's what I can comfortably lift.

Now....... since I want to avoid any bulk, I am trying this:

40 lb flat 20 x 3
30 lb incline 20 x3
35 lb on the fly machine 20 x 4

does that sound ok?

I need a good back and shoulder workout, too. Right now I am following the same kinda principle, but don't have anything definite.

I know diet and cardio has alot to do with it, too.

Right now, I am not trying to get strong, just real lean....

What do you guys do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 11:36 AM

First of all, you will more than likely loose a lot of muscle on that plan. You're going from lifting nice #s to just about nothing. If you're getting a good burn, that's YOU, but I'd drop the weight just enough to be able to only do 15 reps, staying as heavy as you can, to keep the muscle mass you have (more lean mass burns more calories).

Second, I wouldn't recommend dropping the weight anyway. Stick with what you can do, just decrease your rest times between sets. Limit them to 30 seconds. Then see what weights you can still do, and get complete 12-15 rep sets. Also, increase your cardio, and most importantly...... DIET DIET DIET!!!! I shouldn't even call it diet, just eat cleanly.

The high reps doesn't really help in leaning out. It's the fact that you're doing more, causing the heart rate to raise, causing more calories to be burned. You're not going to look anymore striated, that's genes. That's why I say stick with the "heavy" weights, 30 seconds rest between sets, and then make sure you're doing 20-45 minutes of cardio 3 to 5 times a week. I'd tell you exactly how much to do, but I have no clue what you're doing now.

I'll tell you a little of what I've gone through in the past few months. Before the Thanksgiving/X-mas holidays, I was 220 lbs @ 12-14% Body Fat. I've changed nothing with my weight lifting routines, added some supplements, played around with my cardio, and just ate consistently and cleanly. I'm now down to a little under 200 lbs @ 4% Body Fat, with less than 2 weeks to go until my first body building contest. I'll be weighing in under 187.5 lbs for the Middleweight class.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Ok that's good stuff. I will lift a little heavier and keep the reps around 15. I already am stopping for 30 secons, no more.

The cardio is coming up, too... and I have gotten back in the eat clean mode.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

I really don't have far to go.... I weigh 173 right now and I want to weigh 165..... it's all there, I just need to get a little fat off of me.

Shoot I bet if I just do everything the same and do a bunch of cardio I will be fine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 93LXHORSE
I bet if I just do everything the same and do a bunch of cardio I will be fine.
Yes... that's a FEW pounds... compared to a lot, like several other people are trying to achieve. My 10-12 lbs in 10 days now, sounds fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement