New eating adjustment.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:02 PM
The Big Matt

New eating adjustment....

Instead of thinking of it as a "diet", I'm thinking of it as an eating adjustment.

I've done the Atkins for years, off and on, and it was good to me. I lost 50 pounds or so on it. But recently my body just doesn't like the Atkins diet. I've started getting gout and kidney stones because of it. So it's just not for me anymore.

This is what I've changed to. Acording to online information, I've found that to maintain 275 pounds, which I weigh, I need about 3400-3500 calories a day. I've reduced my calorie intake to 2000 calories, and I'm measuring all my food, and strictly counting calories. I figure that if I can reduce calorie itake by 1400 calories a day, and add in some cardio, three times a week, that just from diet alone, i should see 2-3 pounds lost per week.

Not that this is guaranteed, but it should be a good start.

Any suggestions from anyone out there/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:28 PM
Lifer

Sounds like a good plan. To me, the term "diet" means something that you'll get off of later. I think that 2-3 pounds/week is a little too fast to lose.

George
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:32 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by George G.
Sounds like a good plan. To me, the term "diet" means something that you'll get off of later. I think that 2-3 pounds/week is a little too fast to lose.
2-3 lbs/wk shouldn't be too much for someone Matt's size, as long as it's done properly.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Lifer

Ahhh, carry on then and good luck. I'd be happy if I can lose 1 lbs every 2 weeks but can't seem to shake it.

George
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Hired Hand

That sounds like a good plan and mind-set Matt. You are absolutely right, the only way to lose weight and keep it of is a permanent change in one's lifestyle, whether it be diet or exercise related. Atkins may work well for some, but as you've found out, it is not a long-term solution. You can get as lean as you want depending on how much you are willing to restrict your calories. Also realize that once you get used to eating what's necessary to lose weight, it will be that much easier to deal with maintaining it because you can relax a little as long as your weekly calorie intake = you expenditure.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:02 PM
The Big Matt

Aaron, that's what I was thinking.

One of the biggest problems I've noticed as far as weight loss trouble people are having, is portion control. As you go out to dinner you notice meals get bigger and bigger. And people tend to finish everything on their plate. And even with the Atkins diet, you can eat as much protien as you like, etc.

I mean at Pappa's alone, a Grilled Jerk Chicken Sandwich is enough for two whole meals, and comes with enough fries for 4 meals. I guess by measuring out my meals, and counting the calories I have a better chance of looking at my portions, and realizing what is a good meal.

Also over time, I think my stomach will start to shrink, due to the portions i'm taking in, and eventually the hunger will subside, when my body starts adjusting to the portions.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:49 PM
Hired Hand

Good point, most restaraunt portions are waaaay to much for even a large male to be eating in one sitting on an average healthy diet. They are trying to bring value to the table without consideration for portion size or health. It's up to the eater to know when to stop, which most of us find very difficult to do.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 04:03 PM
P.I.M.P.

Eating small portions seems to be my hardest fight... I always am hungry so when food is put infront of me, I tend to eat all of it
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 02:33 PM
Resident Ankle Biter

I almost ALWAYS share my meal with someone, and let the waiter know in advance that I'm going to need something boxed up.

Don't feel too bad, just to maintain my weight it only takes 1300 calories.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Blue5spd's a titty baby

Re: New eating adjustment....

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Matt
Acording to online information, I've found that to maintain 275 pounds, which I weigh, I need about 3400-3500 calories a day. I've reduced my calorie intake to 2000 calories, and I'm measuring all my food, and strictly counting calories.
What website did you find this on?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Timmay

Re: New eating adjustment....

Quote:
Instead of thinking of it as a "diet", I'm thinking of it as an eating adjustment.

I've done the Atkins for years, off and on, and it was good to me. I lost 50 pounds or so on it. But recently my body just doesn't like the Atkins diet. I've started getting gout and kidney stones because of it. So it's just not for me anymore.

This is what I've changed to. Acording to online information, I've found that to maintain 275 pounds, which I weigh, I need about 3400-3500 calories a day. I've reduced my calorie intake to 2000 calories, and I'm measuring all my food, and strictly counting calories. I figure that if I can reduce calorie itake by 1400 calories a day, and add in some cardio, three times a week, that just from diet alone, i should see 2-3 pounds lost per week.

Not that this is guaranteed, but it should be a good start.

Any suggestions from anyone out there/
Good Call Matt.. That is what worked for me. If you keep it up you will see the pounds drop drastically. 2 pounds a week is a good target goal. Although.. I wouldn't kill urself everyday.. have one day where you sort of let go.. I found it easier that way..
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Along for the ride

matt- that doesn't sound too bad but i would slow it down a little. i would try and keep it 1-2 pounds per week tops. i learned in my food science/nutrition class here that you should shoot for loosing 10% of your body weight in 6 months. so for you that would be 28 pounds in six months, or just over a pound a week. it's easier on your body and has a better chance of staying off in the long run. good luck.

marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:03 PM
The Big Matt

i'm not sure what website it was, but there are tons out there.

John,
Yeah, i'm not following it too strict, just using the 2000 calories as a medium to stay close too. I mean anything under 3400 is an improvement. I plan to take one day, probably on the weekend to splurge a bit.

It's amazing how much food you can actually eat at 2000 calories a day, if you really pay attention.

Marcus. 2-3 pounds isn't going to happen every week. It's just a numeric goal.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
It's amazing how much food you can actually eat at 2000 calories a day, if you really pay attention.

...and conversely, it's amazing how many calories can be packed into a meal when eating the wrong things.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 02:41 AM
Lifer

Thumbs down

<-----never liked the Atkins diet.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement