? for some of the body builder type in here - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
? for some of the body builder type in here

I can't seem to break thru on bench press. I have been stuck on 2 45 lbs plates per side for almost 3 months now, and I can't do anymore than that. I broke thru on legs, arms and shoulders but not on chest or back. what am I doing wrong?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Hired Hand

Change up your routine/rep scheme. Stick to flye movements for two weeks and go light enough to hit 12-15 reps, with absolute failure on every set. On week 3 do a warm up set or two and then load up 245 on the bench and rep it as many times as you can. You may not hit as many as you did with 225, but your body will eventually heal itself and catch up. When you plateau on any bodypart change up your workout for a few weeks to get the body guessing and growing again.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Re: ? for some of the body builder type in here

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartman
I can't seem to break thru on bench press. I have been stuck on 2 45 lbs plates per side for almost 3 months now, and I can't do anymore than that. I broke thru on legs, arms and shoulders but not on chest or back. what am I doing wrong?????
what is your complete chest regime? do you have a spotter? What are your reps/weight per set currently?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy

Re: Re: ? for some of the body builder type in here

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
what is your complete chest regime? do you have a spotter? What are your reps/weight per set currently?
I have a trainer who gives me the routine, we switched up everything here two weeks ago. we are doing drop sets on just about everything.

monday is chest and back day, an idea of what we do is
3 sets of 16 on the back row( kind of like you are rowing a boat) drop set 180-16reps 145(not sure somewhere around there) -16reps, 125 -16 reps all back to back

then depending if a bench press is open we do either bench or a machine type thing that is a bench press but you can lift one side without lifting the other, and it uses the same weights as the bench press. if we do bench then no drop set if we use the machine we drop set both are 3 sets of 12

then we do lat pull down wide grip drop set 185 -14 reps 160-14-reps 120-14reps

then we do a machine type bench press that you push out in front of you when sitting in the upright postion, 3 set of 14 reps drop set, I don't know the wieght, mainly cause I am too tired to look each time.

then we do reverse pull down with the grip close same weight and set as the lat pull down.

then cable cross over 3 set of 16 100lb, 80lb, 40 lbs with the last one being slow both pulling and negative

we are going to bring back dead lifts next week or the week after that and that is always last.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

You are doing back and chest on the same day??? IMO this is a mistake. you never want to work to BIG muscle groups on the same day..
IMO you need to add some negatives into your work out.. and start hitting chest to failure. .going to 12 and stopping is not an efficient way to shock your muscles into growing..
Forget 14 reps for now.... Go up to a weight that you can hit sets of 8 and 1 or 2 negatives.. keep in mind. your last set 8 should be a struggle. and you should not be able to make it with out assistance and or failure.
once you can do that.. go up 10-20 lbs. and do the same..
after i hurt my shoulder, i droped all the way back down to 135 on the bench. and worked backup ..
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
You are doing back and chest on the same day??? IMO this is a mistake. you never want to work to BIG muscle groups on the same day..
IMO you need to add some negatives into your work out.. and start hitting chest to failure. .going to 12 and stopping is not an efficient way to shock your muscles into growing..
Forget 14 reps for now.... Go up to a weight that you can hit sets of 8 and 1 or 2 negatives.. keep in mind. your last set 8 should be a struggle. and you should not be able to make it with out assistance and or failure.
once you can do that.. go up 10-20 lbs. and do the same..
after i hurt my shoulder, i droped all the way back down to 135 on the bench. and worked backup ..
well I am kinda of stuck with this set up because i have two other people that work out with me and this is what the trainer does as well for his work out, granted he will be competing later this yr, so he can do that and get away with it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cartman
well I am kinda of stuck with this set up because i have two other people that work out with me and this is what the trainer does as well for his work out, granted he will be competing later this yr, so he can do that and get away with it.
i know lots of people who compete who shouldnt be giving advice.. but i have yet to see a pro do 2 big muscle groups in the same day.. Also.. got boost can tell you.. when it comes to moving weight.. and doing it Clean.. i know how to do it..
i reinjurted my rotator cuff in jan benching 405 ( i had hit 365 for 15,11 and 12 the week before) and got a little heavy before warming up right.. i didnt lift for 3 weeks and then started lifting again. last sat i benched 345x11, 365x11 and 375x7, followed it up by incline dumbell press with the 140lbs dumbell sofr 8 , 6 and 6.. when i give advice, i base it on what worked for me.. and for everyone who has trained with me.. Not knocking your trainer.. he might be a bad ass. but my experience with the trainers at my gym is that i have yet to see any of their trains make the progress the guys who i train do.. mainly because their programs are soft.. they are made for people who dont want to hurt.. for people who are not as serious about it as they should...

Any time you want a good chest working.. let me know.. i would be happy to let you work in with me and got boost. we are at the gym every sat morning at 11...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement