Heath pro's / con's to both?

Thx

--Scott

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 01:19 PM
XL

If you walk you will burn roughly the same amount of calories as jogging the same distance. I have found though that jogging builds more muscle, with an appropriate diet. It all depends on your goals.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 03:23 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by XL
If you walk you will burn roughly the same amount of calories as jogging the same distance. I have found though that jogging builds more muscle, with an appropriate diet. It all depends on your goals.
Where did you read that at?!

A: walking does not burn more calories than jogging
B: jogging should not be considered an anabolic exercise (muscle growth)

Scott, unless your just basically trying to keep from being completely sedentary, walking only has very mild physiological benefits. It's certainly better than no exercise at all, but if you are looking to burn fat and/or increase your cardiovascular endurance you are going to need to get your heart rate elevated a bit higher than walking will allow.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 03:36 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
Where did you read that at?!

A: walking does not burn more calories than jogging
B: jogging should not be considered an anabolic exercise (muscle growth)

Scott, unless your just basically trying to keep from being completely sedentary, walking only has very mild physiological benefits. It's certainly better than no exercise at all, but if you are looking to burn fat and/or increase your cardiovascular endurance you are going to need to get your heart rate elevated a bit higher than walking will allow.
Both are about 100 calories an hour (give or take depending on your condition, size, etc.). Now, running will actually raise your metabolism longer (after the exercise), so you will end up burning more calories over the day.

Long slow distance will not build up any muscle. In fact, long slow distance (like 10+ miles a pop) will probably end up eating away at muscle (except the most important muscle, the heart)

Running sprints will for sure, not Mr. Olympia muscles, but it will build some muscle. Take a look at a 100 meter sprinters legs some time, even before they got turned on to weight training (like back in the 80s).

I'll take these legs!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 04:05 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Both are about 100 calories an hour (give or take depending on your condition, size, etc.). Now, running will actually raise your metabolism longer (after the exercise), so you will end up burning more calories over the day.
In my experience my heart rate is elevated quite a bit more by jogging than walking, how can that be burning the same amount of calories/hour? If I'm wrong so be it, but that doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Quote:
Long slow distance will not build up any muscle. In fact, long slow distance (like 10+ miles a pop) will probably end up eating away at muscle (except the most important muscle, the heart)
This is why I was saying that jogging shouldn't be considered a mass-building exercise. Squats, leg press, leg extensions, and deadlifts are mass movements, jogging is for cutting and endurance.

Quote:
I'll take these legs!

Me too, but those legs were made in the gym and perfected on the track.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 05:18 PM
XL

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
When I jog I finish with sprints. When I gained the muscle, it was back when I first started out, so it may have just been the beginner gains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement