Body fat for women? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

Body fat for women?

so what's considered decent body fat for a chic? I am going to get mine measured tonight (i think they just do the caliper at 24 hr, but not sure). I haven't had it done since about 1993 when i was in college, about 10 years ago!!! it is probably better now, but i hope it isn't awful!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:31 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

If you are under 20% you are doing well. From a health standpoint.

Under 15% on a woman, you start looking rather athletic, if that is the look you are going for.

Of course, in my opinion.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:52 PM
The Big Matt

Michelle, just from eyeballing you time to time, and staring at that fine ass of yours..

My prediction for you is 13-14

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Matt
You do realize that is an extremely low % for women? That's a male in good shape type number.

At the end of the page below there is a chart that would give you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.nutribase.com/fwchartf.shtml
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Matt
Michelle, just from eyeballing you time to time, and staring at that fine ass of yours..

She's lean, but that's a tad low for a female. My guess would be 16-18%

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:18 PM
The Big Matt

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
She's lean, but that's a tad low for a female. My guess would be 16-18%
Michelle's in great shape. And I think she's under the 15% mark.

But that's just me
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Time Served

Below 13% women stop producing estrogen, meaning menstrual cycle will stop.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

lol....bets anyone?

i am flattered Matt, but i doubt i am that low. I will be happy to be under 20 i guess then!! i am kinda scared to see what it is! i am in decent shape, but like most chics, have my fair share of fat repositories that i usually can hide pretty well! damn bathing suit season!

we hitting up the pool again this summer Matt? i think we need another big matt bash type party!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:46 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle95gt
we hitting up the pool again this summer Matt? i think we need another big matt bash type party!
I don't think his face can handle it, I heard that the pool is pissed and wants a re-match.

Last edited by Big A; 03-09-2004 at 10:40 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:17 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Going off of my numbers and that Michelle looks fantastic...Im going to guess 17-20%. You go , Michelle.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Miss_Mustang_94

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
Going off of my numbers and that Michelle looks fantastic...Im going to guess 17-20%. You go , Michelle.
Agreed! I'm guessing 19%'ish - tho I think because of your height you look EVEN LEANER! What a hottie!

K~
*always working on her #'s!*
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

you two girls got me beat any day! you have like no fat on either of you!!! Karen with her football and Kimmay is into her martial arts stuff....

Aaron.....yeah, i doubt we will be allowed back to that pool.....lmao!!
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:18 AM
Lifer

So Michelle, what was it?
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by GTChick01
So Michelle, what was it?
They wouldn't do it last night, i had to schedule it- tonight at 6pm. of course i am all bloated with PMS today!! lol oh well, i am not expecting anything too great! will keep you posted....unless it is really bad!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm So Fabulous

Quote:
damn bathing suit season!
amen!!

i am SO ready to be at the pool/lake again though.

I'm a George Strait junkie.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Time Served

It's a vicious cycle. You spend the winter to get rid of the beer belly so you can sit by the pool during summer and drink beer, lots of beer...
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rach
amen!!

i am SO ready to be at the pool/lake again though.
yep, so ready to hit the pool, i wish it would warm up already!! i gotta hit the lake with you guys this summer!!!

mmmmm beer....
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:31 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Rach
lake
I am beyond ready to get on a wakeboard. We'll be breaking out the wetsuits pretty soon.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

Well i am officially a 'fatass'.

lol....i was VERY disappointed by my testing. It is that 'time' of the month and i am always severly bloated, so i am going to give it a try again at the gym here on the TI campus (i have a membership here too) and see if the results are consistent or not.

Anyways- some kid just out of high school did the caliper test. He tested front of arm, back of arm, right below the shoulder area and hip/stomach area. He was grabbing hard too. I figured i would do okay since i actually think my arms are the best part of my body....but lo and behold...he comes back and says I have 28% body fat!! Which is barely even in the 'average' category according to their charts, much less in the low/lean area. their chart says you have to have 22% to be considered low/lean. Below 19% is what they considered extremely lean. I am by no means skinny or totally muscular, but i expected a lot more than that. maybe 22-24%? He was perplexed as well and said " you look more like 25% or better at least". But then he defended his measuring skills after saying that. So who knows. I am going to spend all weekend on the treadmill now! lol

Hopefully the TI gym has better professionals and the test will come out better (I can wish, right?), and at least they won't be trying to sell me personal training and supplments. I had to sit and listen to this kid try and 'sell' me on everything in order to even get measured. So we will see. I will post up those results once I get them, i plan to have them do the test late next week.

now.....i must go back to my treadmill and spend hours running. ugh.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Time Served

That method usually gives lower % numbers than the 7 point. But you are right, it also depends on who does it. Where I go, the number can fluctuate 5% between two persons. The first day it was 18% and it didn't seem right, I go back the next day and ask the more experienced person to do 7 point, it comes back at 13%.

Inspired by this thread I went in an bought one of those BF meters. I've always thought they are useless but they seem to be decent from what I read. $40 isn't a lot so I ordered one just for the heck of it.

http://www.epinions.com/Marshall_Omr...ices?zip=75065
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sami
That method usually gives lower % numbers than the 7 point. But you are right, it also depends on who does it. Where I go, the number can fluctuate 5% between two persons. The first day it was 18% and it didn't seem right, I go back the next day and ask the more experienced person to do 7 point, it comes back at 13%.

Inspired by this thread I went in an bought one of those BF meters. I've always thought they are useless but they seem to be decent from what I read. $40 isn't a lot so I ordered one just for the heck of it.

http://www.epinions.com/Marshall_Omr...ices?zip=75065
my guess would be i am in the 20-25 range. But who knows. HOpefully a second test will give different results. Of course this was some fresh out of high school kid that was in school to be a trainer. So who knows whether he did it right or not. i am not expert, so i can't say. oh well.....i don't feel like i LOOK like a fatass, so i guess that is all that matters in the end. damn fat! lol
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:24 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
my guess would be i am in the 20-25 range. But who knows. HOpefully a second test will give different results. Of course this was some fresh out of high school kid that was in school to be a trainer. So who knows whether he did it right or not. i am not expert, so i can't say. oh well.....i don't feel like i LOOK like a fatass, so i guess that is all that matters in the end. damn fat! lol
His inexperience and your extra water weight will definitely have an effect on the outcome of testing. Go back in a week or so after your Aunt leaves and try again at TI. I know exectly how you feel though, I had myself convinced that I was high 15's at one point (it's been a while ago) and then I comped out on a medical grade electrical impedance scale at a whopping 19%. I wanted to kick the damn thing. LOL! Too bad machines don't make mistakes.

Last edited by Big A; 03-11-2004 at 11:39 AM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:53 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
Too bad machines don;t make mistakes.
Actually in the hands of a pro you will get a more accurate number than with the machines. They are fairly simple devices and it doesn't matter much whether it's a cheap machine or an expensive one.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Other half of bitter

well just got measured a second time- at the gym at TI. Guy even did it twice to ensure he was getting consistent measurements. He pinched harded than the first guy!!! ouch!

it came out at 24%, which is on the good side of the average range, nearing in on good. (for a 31 year old female, avg is 22-28%)....(good is 16-22% and excellent is 15% or under). So that made me feel a little better- the other guy measured me at 28%, 4% off from this guy. I think i will take the lower number even if it is wrong! lol
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
well just got measured a second time- at the gym at TI. Guy even did it twice to ensure he was getting consistent measurements. He pinched harded than the first guy!!! ouch!

it came out at 24%, which is on the good side of the average range, nearing in on good. (for a 31 year old female, avg is 22-28%)....(good is 16-22% and excellent is 15% or under). So that made me feel a little better- the other guy measured me at 28%, 4% off from this guy. I think i will take the lower number even if it is wrong! lol
That sounds a bit more accurate Michelle, keep up the good work.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 08:26 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Quote:

You have nothing to be ashamed of. That is awesome and you know it. Just look in the mirror.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 12:05 PM
Crackalack!

Don't sweat the # Michelle. Sarah freaked out when she got hers done too. Mine is around 15-16% so when she saw that hers is 23% she freaked out....I had to explain the whole female BF% vs. male. I KNOW she's in much better shape than I am!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement