Prep for USMC Boot Camp - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Prep for USMC Boot Camp

ok this is going to sound very bad but here goes. I have joined the marines if you couldn't tell from the title and the minimum requirement for pull ups to go to boot camp is 3 the only problem is that I can only do 1 (man I am more out of shape than I thought I was) so any advice will be greatly appreciated

me= Devilpup cuz I'm working on becoming a Devildog

edit: I have less than one month to get there so something that will work quickly, anything goes that isn't complete bullshit like some things I've been told
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Lifer

Once you do the first rep get someone to "boost" you back up or just jump up and do the negative or decent of the chin. Make sure the negative is a slow controled movement. Do as many negatives as you can. This is the best way to get stronger.

Another suggestion is to try and loose some bodyfat. Being lighter will make the chins easier.

Start doing some cardio everyday to build up your heart rate.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Lifer

You should start working out hardcore now because they are going to beat the hell out of you when you get there. Might as well start toughening up.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Lifer

hell, you should have been toughening up before you ever even thought about getting into the marines. There's no way I would go into the military without having already been training for 6 months before getting in. Good luck
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Lifer

pull ups, shmull-ups......want some real advice? Run, run, throw-up and run some more. Get rid of the "150lbs. of chewed up bubble gum ass" and the pull-ups will come easy. Now get on your knees and choke yourself.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 09:54 PM

Man, dont worry about it. You have to take the fitness test three times while your there. The last one is the only one that counts. Forget what that dumbass said about getting beat up. That does not happen much and if it does then your going to finish.
They have a saying there, " If you hit them, you keep them." You will be fine either way. When I went in I could only do 5 or 6 pull ups. When I left I could do 30. You have plenty of time. Just do your best and remember they will try to make you better.

Simper Fi
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Gun Nut- Got Lead?

Re: Prep for USMC Boot Camp

Start working arms, shoulders and chest. Find a playground, use the monkeybars for pull ups every day, find a place to do dips.

Start doing push ups every chance you get. I mean every chance.
If you can't do many now, start with an incline. do 20-30 on the bathroom counter after every piss.

The other big dog is situps. Start cranking them out every day.

Final and least favorite is run. your gonna run miles and miles every week. Buy a good pair of running shoes now and break them in.

Semper Fi
Sgt 2515
88-96
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

To all of those who said I should have been working out for months before I even considered going in. How can you prepare for something you don't know your going to do yet? And for those who did give real answers thank you for your advice. In case your wondering why I joined the Marine Corps I have a few reasons most of which can be found here http://www.marinemail.com/219_reasons.htm and a few other reasons 1, I have lolligagged through life and I wanted to do something very difficult 2, Anyone can join the army, you have to really want to be a Marine (ex: 6or 8 week boot camp versus 13 for the Corps) 3, You can't beat the brotherhood of the Marines
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 12:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by racrguy
To all of those who said I should have been working out for months before I even considered going in. How can you prepare for something you don't know your going to do yet?
Easy. You know that it is going to be physically demanding. You can prepare for that by exercising. The best what you can do right now is start running. For the mental part, that's harder to prepare for.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I don't believe that the mental part will be that difficult, it's physical that I will have to worry about
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Honda God

Hey, I went to boot 3 weeks before I even thought about the Corps. Do dips and push ups and dips on the side of your bed before you sleep. If your a tubby now when you go in that shit will be gone. I went to boots with a lot of diet recruits and they came out with a major weight loss. And no they are not going to beat the shit out of you..... at times you wish they would instead of being on the quater deck for hours at a time in a pool of your own sweat begging for them to show mercy and then....... they start the hard stuff. Remember its just a game, stay strong and let the shit roll off your back. Sgt Pepper 0621 97-01 Hollywood Marine

"If its going to be that type of party, I'm sticking my dick in the mashed potatoes."

Lover of Mustangs and Master of Hondas
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by racrguy
I don't believe that the mental part will be that difficult, it's physical that I will have to worry about
Depends on how you've lived your life and what branch you're going to. The physical stuff is of the least of the concern to most of people, it's the psychologic part most have trouble with.

Being in -40 degree weather with your feet wet surprisingly is more of a mental challenge than physical. 30's weather with rain pouring down and wind blowing at a hill top, unable to use your raincoat because you have to use it to protect delicate equipment...not being able to use gloves in that -40 weather because you have to use a pen all the time...

Those are extreme weather cases, then there is the pressure from the superiors, they will try to break you. They will try to make you commit mistakes. They will bully you.

Many people, that seem tough and rugged, can't deal with it. Many will still go through the training but it will change them a lot. Military service will change almost anyone.

I have served my mandatory time, fire control NCO in artillery, meaning frontline training. While it might seem glamorous for a young boy, being in the military, it really isn't that. It's demanding and a lot of the times you wish you were somewhere else. In my case more than half of the time was spent in the woods living in a tent (sometimes not even that, and if yes it depended on whether you had the time to sleep or not), arctic conditions, not in cosy barracks.

Last edited by Sami; 03-10-2004 at 03:45 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Me= Navy Brat until the age of 10. Then I started to go to real public schools and to put it mildly if I didn't have the mental capacity for bullshit and harassment there would have been another Columbine here in the Heart 'O' Texas. Now I know that's like oh well everyone is picked on like that but (yes there is a but) my father was a Company Commander for the Navy so I was pretty well toughened up mentally wise before the time I was 8.

I wouldn't consider myself to be tubby, a little larger in the mid-section that I would like but not tubby, I joined at 75.5" (6'3.5" for you who don't feel like doing the math) and 228 and if I remember my max shipping weight was like 255-260
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 02:50 AM
351 in the works

the mental part will be hard very hard. The drill instructors will make your life hell. they told us to do shit that they knew we could not complete just to smoke us. do push ups, and sit ups, and run alot, I would also go and get an rucksack put about 40 pounds in it and go to an high school and walk around there track for ever, road marches are hell. RUN RUN RUN, PUSH PUSH PUSH, SIT UPS SIT UPS, and I wish I would have done the ruck sack thing, 25 mile road march sucks.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by clean89
25 mile road march sucks.
Road, that's easy. We usually did ours on a swamp...

50 mile trips by skiing on fresh powder, also a lot of fun.

Usually with 60lbs on the backpack, an assault rifle and other equipment. Luckily after NCO training I didn't have to be the radioman anymore, that added quite a good chunk on the weight. Oh those days, didn't have a problem keeping my weight down. All the food you could get, you were sure to use the energy and not convert it to fat.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 03:13 AM
KJ94GT

You don't need to get tough right now. The best thing you could do before bootcamp is make sure you get plenty of sleep!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 03:56 AM
Wolverines!!!

I just graduated bootcamp back in Nov 7th. You only need 2 for the IST what u take in recieving, 3 is for ur pfts ull take at the end of 1st pahse and at the end of 3rd phase. I came in doing only 5 now im up to about 15-20 range. When u get on the bar in front of the recieivng DI's dont get all pissy scarred, just think of something someone u hate and ull get a few adrenaline ones out of the way to help. Once ur chin comes over drop on ur own like a rock it hurts ur elbows, but in boot the DI's want to SEE ur arms lock out.

Oh btw San Diego Kicks the shit out of PI
PFC Slider (hollywood )
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 04:04 AM
Wolverines!!!

BTW if ur west coast, pray to get into Fox company, we had a couple of their DI's help out with us up North, they're psychotic. Other than that Hotel rules You'll get plenty of tiemt o work on situps every time u leave the chow hall same with pull ups. Just so long u can pass the IST and not get sent to porkchop plt. They'll do the rest of the body building for you. See bet ya didnt think ya got ur own personal trainers in boot I hope u learn to love water.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by jw33
pull ups, shmull-ups......want some real advice? Run, run, throw-up and run some more. Get rid of the "150lbs. of chewed up bubble gum ass" and the pull-ups will come easy. Now get on your knees and choke yourself.

thats some funny shit LOL i love that movie..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement