Just joined gym need to tone up?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:50 PM
brittney420

Just joined gym need to tone up??

I just joined a gym for the first time... ever i just had a kid and lost all the weight really fast (with no exercising) so im flabby. Whats the best regimen for toning up and what not? I know ill need to do cardio stuffs but what else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Baller

light weight high reps, keep heart rate up. do alot of tonality exercises with simple dumbells.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 02:33 PM
XL

Quote:
Originally posted by ruffdaddy
do alot of tonality exercises with simple dumbells.
Do you know what tonality means?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Super Jew

Quote:
Originally posted by XL
Do you know what tonality means?
Lmao, apparently not. Unless maybe he uses a tuning fork when he works out.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by ruffdaddy
light weight high reps, keep heart rate up. do alot of tonality exercises with simple dumbells.
There is either building muscle or not building muscle. Getting "tone" has to do with body fat.

If you want to tone you can lower body fat and maintain current muscle or gain new muscle and then loose body fat.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:06 PM
XL

Quote:
Originally posted by Stroked87
Lmao, apparently not. Unless maybe he uses a tuning fork when he works out.
Either that or a color wheel.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Other half of bitter

Strength training is where its at.....in addition to cardio.

YOu might try a pilates class too, great for toning and strengthing the core (lower back, abs, ass). Has worked great for me and is a lot of fun.

See if you can get a personal trainer to get a good strength training program started for you- 4x a week or so. Women can usually see quick successes when lifting weights.....you'll be surprised how quickly your arms can tone up with a little work. Don't be afraid to do some weights. I know a lot of women are afraid of bulking up, but you won't. It's nice having a partner too- Al and I go together and lift together and it keeps us motivated.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:48 PM
brittney420

Quote:
Originally posted by z28ss21
There is either building muscle or not building muscle. Getting "tone" has to do with body fat.

If you want to tone you can lower body fat and maintain current muscle or gain new muscle and then loose body fat.
im sure ive got plenty of body fat to get rid of, i dont want to bulk up but dont wanna be flabby and nasty like i crrently am. So just concentrate on cardio?

And Michelle what exactly is strength training? im a gym virgin so go easy on me
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 04:20 PM
XL

Quote:
Originally posted by brittney420
im sure ive got plenty of body fat to get rid of, i dont want to bulk up but dont wanna be flabby and nasty like i crrently am. So just concentrate on cardio?
If you want, you can concentrate mostly on cardio, but you also need to concentrate on your diet. Avoid saturated fats, eat nonsaturated fats in moderation, get ample amounts of protein, and most importantly, don't eat too many calories.
Quote:

And Michelle what exactly is strength training? im a gym virgin so go easy on me
Strength training = lifting weights.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Other half of bitter

Quote:

lifting weights....

you won't bulk up, i don't know why women fear that. unless you plan on takign some steroids or spending 4 hours a day in the gym. lifting weights will only help you tone up. here' s a pic of me from last year.....i don't look like some huge man-like chic....lifting weights is great for women, but most just don't take advantage of it. Plus, you will increase your ability to burn fat, even when you aren't working out. Since you are new, defniitely ask for a personal trainer to assist you and show you what machines to do. Free weights are great too, don't be afraid to do squats and bench press. i love having toned arms, and it really won't take you long to start seeing a difference.

are you breast feeding? i hear that helps with the weight loss as well. good luck

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:49 AM
brittney420

Nope im not breastfeeding (hes 6 mos old now had to stop that back at 3 weeks) Is that you in the middle on the top pic??? You look great inthat bottom pic! i hope i look like that soon. I go to the gym for the first time tonight so wish me luck Ill start out running on the treadmill and get on the bikes and i guess just go from machine to machine. How long do i need to spend on each one?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Mr. Instigator

Quote:
Is that you in the middle on the top pic??? You look great inthat bottom pic!
she is on the right in the top pic
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:56 AM
brittney420

Quote:
Originally posted by runin90lx
she is on the right in the top pic
i was going to say! wow nice success story! but still she looks AWESOME in the bottom picture.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Nope im not breastfeeding (hes 6 mos old now had to stop that back at 3 weeks) Is that you in the middle on the top pic??? You look great inthat bottom pic! i hope i look like that soon. I go to the gym for the first time tonight so wish me luck Ill start out running on the treadmill and get on the bikes and i guess just go from machine to machine. How long do i need to spend on each one?
lol=- no that is my little sister in the middle and my other sister on the left- she was about to give birth at that point....she struggles with her weight though, as you can see, even pregnant.

anyways- good luck tonight. don't be afraid to ask questions or try new things. Ask for help from a trainer. I see lots of people that just don't know how to do certain machines or exercises or don't use proper form. Go slow and have fun!!

Like feldman said (white lightning) said, on cardio, it is more about your heart rate etc. But i usually try and run 1.5-3 miles five times a week in the mornings. That means spending 15-30 minutes running. I do intervals and throw in some fast walking when I need a break- I usually walk at least a mile or two along with running. I am not much of a runner and don't enjoy it, but force myself to do it. I usually do at least 30 minutes when i am in ahurry, and an hour when i have more time (on the weekends etc.).
let us know how sore you are tomorrow!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
i was going to say! wow nice success story! but still she looks AWESOME in the bottom picture.
lol!! well, i used to be bigger, but not that big. i was about 165 at my highest and i am almost 5'9. I was like a size 12 , verging on 14, back then, that was almost 3 years ago. I went through some personal shit and got depressed and lost about 30 pounds, just from not eating- no appetite. Unfortuatne it took that to lose weight. After i got back to my old self, i have managed to keep it off and tone up a lot and have stuck to exercising. Even though i had lost weight, i had some flab! i love lifting weights, so that part is easy for me. it is the cardio i hate!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 04:42 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Thumbs up

Looking good Michelle....great advice given as well!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
Looking good Michelle....great advice given as well!
back at ya babe! if only I could keep up with karen! my workouts are absolutely nothing compared to yours on the football field!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement