Looking for a little lifting advice... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Crackalack!

Looking for a little lifting advice...

I've been working on my upper body and have noticed a couple of things. After doing curls, I get most of my soreness in the tendon right at the elbow on the front side as opposed to the muscle. Am I doing something wrong, or will this pass as I continue? Secondly, it seems that all of my chest muscle (which isn't much) is low and to the outside. The middle of my chest up higher has hardly any definition. Will incline bench (which I hardly ever do) address this? Or does the entire muscle grow regardless? I usually do the butterfly machine, and regular bench. Just now starting to do incline for the above reason. Feel free to give your advice. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Worship me

You need to add incline press for your upper chest....either dumb bells or barbell and some dumbbell flies for your middle chest. You could also use cables and do the crossover exercise for your middle chest.

On the curls, it sounds like that tendon (or whatever the hell you call it) is just getting aggravated, do higher reps with less weight for a while until that thing gets in shape.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 02:09 PM

Re: Looking for a little lifting advice...

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Hatton
I've been working on my upper body and have noticed a couple of things. After doing curls, I get most of my soreness in the tendon right at the elbow on the front side as opposed to the muscle. Am I doing something wrong, or will this pass as I continue? Secondly, it seems that all of my chest muscle (which isn't much) is low and to the outside. The middle of my chest up higher has hardly any definition. Will incline bench (which I hardly ever do) address this? Or does the entire muscle grow regardless? I usually do the butterfly machine, and regular bench. Just now starting to do incline for the above reason. Feel free to give your advice. Thanks guys!
Here's my two cents...
To answer your question regarding the chest, yes it grows together. You truely can not make one area of your chest grow more than the others. The pectoralis major originates at the collar bone, the entire sternum, and ribs 2-4 (if I remember correctly), and then every bit of it attaches on the inside of the Humerus (the upper arm bone). So if you look at an anatomical picture of it, it fans up into your shoulder area. So regardless if you work upper pec (incline) or lower chest (flat & decline) it all gets worked! Ideally, you can work the incline bench to hit the upper chest a little harder, and the decline bench and/or dips to hit the lower region of the pecs. Flat bench just plain hits it all, plus other muscle groups, obviously. So, in all honesty, just keep working at it. What you're doing is on the right track, it just takes time, so be patient. Unless you want to start sticking certain injectables in your chest muscles.

As for your bicep, yes you have an aggravated tendon. I can't tell from your description, exactly which one it is, though. I would either take a few weeks off, to let it heal on it's own, or live through it. The lighter weights and higher reps isn't going to let it heal either. You may have bad form, or you may be a little too heavy, but still. To help it, I would try some anti-inflammatories before and after your work out. Like using Bengay type stuff before the workout, back day, too, and take some Advil (200 mg) immediately after the work out, then go home and start using Ice/Heat every day you lift weights. Even non-arm/back days. So yes, every day. Ice it down for 20 minutes, then Heat for 10 minutes, then Ice again for 20 more minutes. Do that every day until the pain stops, or go see a doctor. You may have a more serious issue.

good luck

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Crackalack!

Thanks guys...the tendon pain isn't severe, but every time I do curls, the next day that area is stiff. Kinda feels like my arms are being forced to bend slightly from some extra tension. I haven't religiously worked my arms for any serious period of time in the last several years, so it may just be them getting used to the weight. It feels good to force my arm completely straight, in effect stretching this tendon back out. Anyway, it always goes away, so I'm not too concerned w/ it. I'm sure it'll get better as I continue to lift.

As far as the chest goes, I'll try to hit the major exercises that will work all areas instead of sticking just to bench and butterfly. Thanks again.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Lifer

I had that same trouble with my arms when I first started. I found that I was extending my arms too far (nearly hyper-extending). I started being a little more careful and it stopped happening. But don't get into the habit of not doing the complete motion, just make sure that you don't go too far. Try a lighter weight until you get the form down.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 02:59 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Hatton
Thanks guys...the tendon pain isn't severe, but every time I do curls, the next day that area is stiff. Kinda feels like my arms are being forced to bend slightly from some extra tension. I haven't religiously worked my arms for any serious period of time in the last several years, so it may just be them getting used to the weight. It feels good to force my arm completely straight, in effect stretching this tendon back out. Anyway, it always goes away, so I'm not too concerned w/ it. I'm sure it'll get better as I continue to lift.

As far as the chest goes, I'll try to hit the major exercises that will work all areas instead of sticking just to bench and butterfly. Thanks again.
I have the exact same problem with that area in my right bicep if I take a week or two off from doing my bicep workout. Go easy on it and it will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement