Exercise Induced Asthma (long) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Exercise Induced Asthma (long)

I feel like I've been asking a lot of questions here lately... sorry

After doing some reading, I found a list of symptoms, and I'm pretty sure this is my problem.
  • Difficulty breathing 6 to 8 minutes after you stop exercising.
  • Coughing or wheezing (a whistling sound while breathing) when exercising.
  • Having a tight feeling in your chest.
  • Feeling extremely tired or short of breath after exercising.

Now I know I'm not a doctor, and I know that just because I "read" things, it doesnt make me an expert, but for as long as I can remember, I have had these problems. I used to play baseball year round. The quick sprints and stuff never bothered me too much. But any sprint over ~150yds, or long distance running would bring on these symptoms. Somehow I pushed myself through it for years because I knew I had to. I cant recall ever having regular asthma symptoms though (when not running).

My cardio for the past 2 months as been a stationary bike, which does not bother my breathing at all, even when keeping a constant 170bpm at a good resistance level.
2 weeks ago, I started doing some HIIT running. I do my running on in indoor 1/8 mile track, and when doing intervals i sprint the straights and walk/jog the turns. This lets me catch my breath again, and I usually have no problems.

However today, I decided to mix it up, and just run. Well, it didnt work. Same ole' shit. I felt like I couldnt' breathe well, and my chest got really tightand felt like it kept getting tighter after I stopped. If I try to run through it, I will start to 'wheeze' and it just gets worse.
I dont have a problem pushing my body hard, it's just that this doesnt feel like a 'good' pushing.

Is there anything one can do about exercise induced asthma? Or is this something I'll have to learn to work through?

- Matt

Last edited by Stroked71Bowtie; 02-16-2004 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Worship me

I have the same thing. If I am not in good shape I get an asthma attack after running about a mile. A few months ago I had let my cardio slip for a month or two and was only running about 1.5 miles 3 or 4 times a week. That was at 6.5mph. Everytime I ran it happened...no matter what, right at one mile my chest started tightening and I started wheezing. After I was done with the 1.5 miles, when I stopped, it got worse for about 20 minutes and then finally went away.

The way I fixed it was to slow down a lot and run longer. I slowed to 6.2 mph and started running 2.5 miles...closer back to what I used to do before I had the asthma incidents.

Now I am back up to running at 6.4 mph and throwing in 4 intervals of 1/4 mile at 7.5 mph. No asthma in site at all. It is like the extra work from the longer sessions, even at a slower pace, have made it go away.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

So it looks like it's something I can train myself through. That's good.
I'll probably keep up the HIIT for a little longer, and gradually up the intensity in the slower part of it. Then I'll try some slower longer distance stuff... I'll probably be in for a world of hurt for a while though.

thanks

- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement