Picked up a nice stationary bike for the house this weekend - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:16 AM
The Big Matt

Picked up a nice stationary bike for the house this weekend

I'm gonna try to get my exercise habbits in order this week.

I can't afford to join a gym, and I made a great trade for killer stationary bike with programable resistance, etc. Thanks to Mixedup.

I'm gonna chart my progress starting tomorrow and see how things go with an hour of cardio a day, plus lifting to tone. I don't feel like getting any bigger right now, so just toning for now.

Any suggestions on reps, percent of max weight, etc for a good workout plan?

I'll be working out 4-5 days a week with weights, and trying to do 7 days of cardio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 09:41 AM

What sort of weights do you have access to, then?

You're starting out with too much, if you ask me. Especially if you're JUST NOW starting back up. I could see that many days a week of lifting weights, if doing the right body part schedule, but I would DEFINITELY X-nay the "7 days of 1 hour cardio sessions"!!!! I would start off with 3 sessions of 20 mintues on that bike, first thing in the mornings, before you eat. And do your lifting in the afternoon. If you are going to be too gung-ho, and just have to get something in every day, I'd at least take ONE day off a week, to let your body rest a full day's worth. You can't do that to your body!

Point: If you start with 7 days of 1 hour cardio, and actually stick with it, you're body will eventually adapt, and that amount of cardio won't do any good anymore, so you'll have to bump it up a bit, increase something, whether it be intensity (an ok possibility depending on how hard you're doing it in the first place), time (an hour is already pretty damn long, much longer and you're body will start shutting down), frequency (can't do this, 7 days a week is the max, obviously), and type (if you get another piece of cardio equipment). Now, if you start with 3 days of 20 minutes, let that work for you, then it's easy to bump something up, little bit by little bit.

Good luck!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:00 PM
The Big Matt

thanks, i was figuring i'd start easy, and increase the intensity as the weeks progress

I have a all in one machine for weights it's a Zuma by Pacific Fitness. see pic

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Lifer

Is it a recumbant or an upright bike?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 02:14 PM

How the hell would your body get used to 1 hour of cardio a day? lol!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 02:41 PM
The Big Matt

it's recumbant marisa
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Matt
thanks, i was figuring i'd start easy, and increase the intensity as the weeks progress

I have a all in one machine for weights it's a Zuma by Pacific Fitness. see pic
lol......remembers pics on the machine with wiwi.....working out!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
How the hell would your body get used to 1 hour of cardio a day? lol!
It's called Adaptation. Learn what that means, and ask again.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackandBlueLX
It's called Adaptation. Learn what that means, and ask again.

LOL!

When you finally "adapt" to one hour of cardio a day. You've lost the weight. Thats how your body "adapts". Thats what its for smart guy.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
LOL!

When you finally "adapt" to one hour of cardio a day. You've lost the weight. Thats how your body "adapts". Thats what its for smart guy.
LOL, ok. I saw your post in the "creatine" thread.

So, let's take a 400 lb man, with 44% Body Fat, never worked out a day in his life with weights or any type of cardio. The only "cardio" he has done is getting out of his car to walk into the grocery store, or the mall. That takes the wind out of him! So, he walks into the local gym, where he plops down his $1000 buys his first membership that even comes with a few "free" sessions. His trainer tells him "we're going to be working out 3 days a week, and I want you doing 1 hour of cardio the other 4 days." That's 7 days of working out. So let's recap, very overweight man starting out from a beginning, go all out, all 7 days of the week. WRONG What's going to happen.... his body will adapt to what he's going to TRY to do, which will come down to an hour a day, all seven days. Once his body is used to this program, which will take a few weeks, at least once he CAN do that much, he will stop loosing weight as quickly as he was at one point. Yes, once he can actually make it through the entire hour every day, he WILL start loosing weight, but sooner or later, his body will get used to what he's doing, and it won't work as much. This is what we call ADAPTATION, or to some, PLATEAUS!! Ever heard of it??? It's the same concept as weightlifting, you get stuck at a certain point, with strength, or gaining size, or whatever.... even losing size.

Is this starting to click yet????

So, here is what should be done. Start the man off with three, maybe four days a week, of light 20 minute walking or cycling. Nothing that will completely drain him. He will more than likely be sore from anything he does that we call exercise. After a week or so of this light cardio, we can start with some light-weight full body work outs 3 days a week, with the 20 minutes of cardio before or after the weights. Nothing much, just one exercise per major body part to get started, eventually increasing to 2 exercises per body part, while increasing weight. After about 6 weeks, he may or may not have seen a difference, depending on his body type, AND how's he's changed his eating habits. If all goes well, the pounds should start coming off by now. So, another 10 weeks has gone by, and and he's lost about 30-40 lbs, and maybe some of the body fat... with the same program mind you. NOW, his body starts slowing down on the weight-loss progress. It is time to change it up somehow. Have you ever heard or read about the FITT principle?? Frequency, Intensity, Type and Time We pick one of those, and change something, to start seeing results again. Usually, we'll add a few minutes, because he's not quite ready to increase intensity. So, now he can do 3 days of full body workouts, which should burn anywhere from 200-500 calories in an hour session. On 3 of the other days, I'd have him come in and do 30 minutes of walking on a treadmill, gradually increasing the incline to what's barely past comfortable, keeping his heart rate in the THR (target heart rate) zone.

Of course, he's still loosing weight at a nice, healthy pace, and not trying to induce a heart attack by doing an hour of cardio. Which would mean his heart would have to work THAT much harder to pump to 400 lbs of mass, versus waiting several months, until he is a slightly healther 300 lb man, and the heart still has to over work, just not quite as much. So, again, when he "adapts" to that level, we increase one of the following FITT, for whatever period of time it takes for his body to adapt. You start with alot, you'd have to keep doing alot to keep loosing weight. When you adapt to alot, and want to do less, you're body will actually add weight back, because you're doing less work in a day's time.

I could go on, but I would think you get the point by now. If you want an example with a skinny person, just ask.

Any other questions, again..... just ask!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 06:56 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I didn't read that post, but even if it's all very important info, it's just too fuckin long.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 07:24 PM
The Big Matt

i decided to cut down

30 min of cardio a day, in 15 min sets, on before work, and one after, then 2-3 days of light lifting

We'll see how that does
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

every little bit helps. sometimes I wish I'd get a stationary or something. I freeze my ass off right now trying to ride.

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shorty
I didn't read that post, but even if it's all very important info, it's just too fuckin long.
That's ok.. lol, it's meant for Piece of Shit Duby, or whatever the name is. That's too long.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Lifer

To use that bike effectively, keep your heart rate in the 70-80% max rate. Do a 5 min warm-up, 30 min session, and a 5 min cool down. Every third day, do some intervals.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 11:24 AM
The Big Matt

I do have a question as far as adaptation...

Now I understand adapting while lifting, but during cardio?

Wouldn't you just increase the intensity, or change the program settings up?

Isn't burning calories, burning calories, no matter what?

How does your body adapt to not burn the same ammount of calories, while exercising? That doesn't make sense to me
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Matt
I do have a question as far as adaptation...

Now I understand adapting while lifting, but during cardio?

Wouldn't you just increase the intensity, or change the program settings up?

Isn't burning calories, burning calories, no matter what?

How does your body adapt to not burn the same ammount of calories, while exercising? That doesn't make sense to me
Sounds like you basically understand it. Yes, you would increase the intensity, the program, the time of day you do it, intervals.... something. Yes, burning calories is burning calories. But the better "in shape" you get, the easier it is for you body to do the same work that you did a couple months ago. Therefore, you don't burn AS many calories. Just like your heart rate, the better in shape you are, the harder it is to get that heart rate up, and the lower your Resting Heart Rate becomes. That's why a marathoner will usually have a RHR in the low to mid 40s, versus the average person (that I see at my gym) has a RHR in the mid to high 70s, if not in the 80s.

I might be wrong on this, but to the best of my knowledge, that's the jist of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement