Where to get tested for... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Where to get tested for...

your Resting Metabolic Rate? I know Bally's does it when you sign up for a personal trainer, but I'm not going to do that. Is there some where that will do it? I'd pay just to know what my resting rate is so that I know how many calories I should eat each day.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 02:09 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Any method will be a guestimate. There are plenty of free calculators on the web, type "Determing your BMR" in google.

Bally's and any other place are just going to use the formulas you see in the search. The only accurate way to determine it would be through medical analysis and it would be rather expensive and generally a pain in the ass unless you hooked up with some University researching BMR.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Any method will be a guestimate. There are plenty of free calculators on the web, type "Determing your BMR" in google.

Bally's and any other place are just going to use the formulas you see in the search. The only accurate way to determine it would be through medical analysis and it would be rather expensive and generally a pain in the ass unless you hooked up with some University researching BMR.
The guy at Bally's was telling me they have a machine they use. You breath into it for like 10 minutes and it will tell you.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 03:35 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Quote:
Originally posted by GTChick01
The guy at Bally's was telling me they have a machine they use. You breath into it for like 10 minutes and it will tell you.
Is that more like a lung capacity machine?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger
Is that more like a lung capacity machine?
I just called them. They said it's called a Body Gym measurement and it's made by Health Check. They said it measure's your RMR.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 04:11 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Ah... ok.

So basically they are probably measuring how much oxygen is changing into carbon dioxide and using it to estimate the number of calories that would be included in the conversion, or something similar.

Something like a VO2 minimum. Something like cyclists will do, but they are looking for their VO2Max (and exercising whilst having the contraption attached to them).

Take it with a grain of salt, but it should give you a good 200-300 calorie range. If it isn't too expensive (like > $25), I'd give it a shot.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra

Take it with a grain of salt, but it should give you a good 200-300 calorie range. If it isn't too expensive (like > $25), I'd give it a shot.
That's what I'm wanting to know... where I can get it done. Bally's only does it if you sign up for a p/t and they are WAAAY too expensive.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 05:09 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
That's what I'm wanting to know... where I can get it done. Bally's only does it if you sign up for a p/t and they are WAAAY too expensive.
Use some of the formulas on the web. I think you'll find one that gives you the average of a few different ones as well.

Use that as your guideline and adjust each week. If you are counting calories and such, you should get a pretty good idea of how many calories you are burning on average each week, after a few weeks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 12:19 PM

Go to one of those Doc-in-a Box. Public clinic. A nurse could do it for you pretty quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement