Equivalent of running 5 miles on a stationary bike? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Equivalent of running 5 miles on a stationary bike?

My hip is really starting to bother me. So I thought I would give it a rest tonight and hit the bike for cardio. What would be the equivalent of running 5 miles on the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:12 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

IMO there is no direct conversion. It depends what your Max heart rate, and average heart rate was on the run. Because i am on Xenadrene RFA, i track my heart rate during my cardio so i know exactly where i am at different times. So to really move over you need to know this info so that you can match heart rates from machine to machine.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
IMO there is no direct conversion. It depends what your Max heart rate, and average heart rate was on the run. Because i am on Xenadrene RFA, i track my heart rate during my cardio so i know exactly where i am at different times. So to really move over you need to know this info so that you can match heart rates from machine to machine.
Okay, so should I just do it on time?

Max heart rate was 176 and My average was right around 148.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
Okay, so should I just do it on time?

Max heart rate was 176 and My average was right around 148.
It depends on what you want cycling 5 miles at 5 mph with zero resistance is ALOT easier then running at 5 mph. I would pay less attention to the distance, and more to time and heart rate. I would see what it took to get to 148 bpm on the bike. and then cycle for as many min as it takes to burn the same calories. Or set get to your target heart rate and then pedal 5 miles.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It depends on what you want cycling 5 miles at 5 mph with zero resistance is ALOT easier then running at 5 mph. I would pay less attention to the distance, and more to time and heart rate. I would see what it took to get to 148 bpm on the bike. and then cycle for as many min as it takes to burn the same calories. Or set get to your target heart rate and then pedal 5 miles.
Thats definetly one way. I just thought someone might know. "Hey biking three miles burns about the same calories as running one mile for me."

I do better when I know what my goal is.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Thats definetly one way. I just thought someone might know. "Hey biking three miles burns about the same calories as running one mile for me."

I do better when I know what my goal is.
IMO.. spend a session or 2 working it out for yourself. because a 5 mile run your you might be easy. a 5 mile run for me might kill me so there is no way to say how it applies to you based on other peoples ability.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
IMO.. spend a session or 2 working it out for yourself. because a 5 mile run your you might be easy. a 5 mile run for me might kill me so there is no way to say how it applies to you based on other peoples ability.
I was always under the impression you burn the same amount of calories per distance. no mater how fast you ran it. I didn't think it mattered how big you were either.

Just because it's easier for me, doesn't mean it burns less calories. Correct?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
I was always under the impression you burn the same amount of calories per distance. no mater how fast you ran it. I didn't think it mattered how big you were either.

Just because it's easier for me, doesn't mean it burns less calories. Correct?
100% not correct
if you are 200lbs and i am 300lbs.
we both run 5 miles. You just moved 200lbs 5 miles.. i move 300lbs 5 miles. It takes alot more energy to move 300lbs 5 miles then 200 lbs. Keep in mind that the Callorie counters on machines arent accurate. If i walk at 3mph.. it says i am burning X callories and my heart rate is at 130bpm.. if i am running at 5mph.. and my Heart rate is 160. i am burning alot more. But if you are at 130 @5 mph.. i am burning more calories because my heart is working ALOT harder then yours. those callorie counters are o.k. for estimating. but are far from accurate.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
100% not correct
if you are 200lbs and i am 300lbs.
we both run 5 miles. You just moved 200lbs 5 miles.. i move 300lbs 5 miles. It takes alot more energy to move 300lbs 5 miles then 200 lbs. Keep in mind that the Callorie counters on machines arent accurate. If i walk at 3mph.. it says i am burning X callories and my heart rate is at 130bpm.. if i am running at 5mph.. and my Heart rate is 160. i am burning alot more. But if you are at 130 @5 mph.. i am burning more calories because my heart is working ALOT harder then yours. those callorie counters are o.k. for estimating. but are far from accurate.
Makes sense.

But if I jog 5 miles with my BPM at 140, and then run 5 miles with it at 175. Am I burning anymore calories?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Makes sense.

But if I jog 5 miles with my BPM at 140, and then run 5 miles with it at 175. Am I burning anymore calories?
at 175 bpm you are working harder then at 140. so you will burn more callories.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Lifer

I usually do about 4-5 miles bike/1 mile running. Sometimes down to 2-3miles/1 miles if I'm doing high resistance.

There really isn't any direct conversion like WL said, because you can do many different things on the stationary bike.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
at 175 bpm you are working harder then at 140. so you will burn more callories.
But not a sufficient enough amount to warrant running it that hard. Creating more impact on your joints for less results.

I found a rough estimate if I hit the bike for an extra 30 minutes I should burn close to the same amount of calories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement