Leg Extension vs. Leg press - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Leg Extension vs. Leg press

Is it better to focus on one more than the other? After all these posts about leg excerises, I decided it was time to push some more weight. Also, I heard a few time about using push muscles one day and pull muscles the next...is that really beneficial? I usually do upper body and lower body on seperate days. Lower consists of leg extension, then leg curls, then leg press.

On the leg press, I went from working out with 2 plates to warming up with 2 plates (10 x 2 sets), then 4 plates ( 5 x 4 sets +/-) then 6 plates, 3-4 x 3 sets. That seems to be my max as I can't seem to push anymore sets with 6 plates. should I move the leg ext. excersice to a different day? or does it not really matter? I'd like to get to 8 plates but I don't see that happening.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Hired Hand

Go light (sets of 10-12) for two weeks to break your plateu. Keep your intensity up, but make it burn to confuse your musclesinto growth.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

IMO.. 3-4 reps on legpress is waisted unless you are doing 6-8 sets.. i would try this..
2x20
3x16
4x12
5x failure
5xfailure
3xfailure
2x failure

and then go hit some light leg extensions
give it a try.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 11:51 PM

Here's my suggestion, along with the other good ones:

Start with light leg extensions, nothing to failure, for 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps. Then hit Leg Press for about 6 sets total, doing
2x15
4x15
5x12
6x6-12
6x6-12
6x6-12

If you can't make 6 reps, go back down to 5, but stick to the heavier weights until you CAN do a good 4-6 sets of 12-15 reps. Don't go lighter for any reason, that's not going to make you're muscles grow. A burn is one thing, but shear force on the muscles (heavy weight ) is another!!

The only reason you should go lighter, is if you're pyramid'in on the last set!

Next, finish off with the leg curls. Again, going heavy as possible.

As for the push on day 1, and pull on day 2, that's an ok plan, and actually works well for some people. So when what you're doing now fails, try it out and see what you think. Nothing.... go back to your old plan, or try something else.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

I'll give it a try. I gotta wait till Monday. I worked out my legs Thursday with 35 more lbs from the beginning and I'm sore. I usually don't have time on the weekends to workout. Today is upper body. I can probably accomplish the 15-20 reps with 4 plates plus some but not with 6 plates. Do you think I just advanced to quickly with the 6 plates since I can only do 3 sets of 3-4?

I've tried the push/pull routine once or twice but I couldn't get into it. I know it takes more that twice to call it routine. I'm just use to upper/lower.

George
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by George G.
I'll give it a try. I gotta wait till Monday. I worked out my legs Thursday with 35 more lbs from the beginning and I'm sore. I usually don't have time on the weekends to workout. Today is upper body. I can probably accomplish the 15-20 reps with 4 plates plus some but not with 6 plates. Do you think I just advanced to quickly with the 6 plates since I can only do 3 sets of 3-4?

I've tried the push/pull routine once or twice but I couldn't get into it. I know it takes more that twice to call it routine. I'm just use to upper/lower.
IMO.. drop the weights to where you can get at LEAST 3 good sets of 8-12 reps.set of 3 should not be part of your regular work out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I worked out the lower body today.

warm up

2 plates + 35lbs = 10 x 2 (worked calves on this first and warmed up)
4 plates + 50 lbs = 6 x 5 (I'm gonna work on increasing this)
2 plates + 50 lbs = 5 x 2 cool down

I warmed up and did a couple leg curls during. I tried to do some leg extensions afterwards but my legs were done by that time. I'm gonna stick with this as it seems I can work pretty good and I can lift longer. I'll move the leg ext to another day or something.

On another note, 2 weeks on Xenadrine EFX and ....nothing. Not a pound shed so I'm getting off this stuff.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement