Can you make gains if you cut out most of your carbs???? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Can you make gains if you cut out most of your carbs????

So I'm really wanting to lean up, but I was wondering if you can make much in the way of muscular gains while leaning up. I'm going to be doing 2+ hours of cardio 5 days a week (split, 1hr morning, 1 hour night, somewhere in between ~1hr raquetball).

If I have to forfeit the next 2 months muscle gains so I can lean up that's ok, but if I'm going to start losing strength, then I don't think it's worth it.

My diet will be down to about 1700 calories/day, compared to my normal 3200-3500. I will still be eating ~150g protein, but carbs will be brought down to about 100-150g.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 PM
XL

If your body doesn't have enough carbs to burn, it will use the protein for energy. I'm not sure how much fat gets burned along with it, if any at all. It's best to concentrate on strength then worry about cutting up, or vice versa. Trying to do both at once compromises both goals. Now, you may be able to keep your strength the same, or it may decrease.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:24 AM

I'd also add that if you're eating the carbs you are planning on eating at the right times of the day, and eating enough protein and fats, then I'd say you can add some muscle and keep the strength you have now. Basically, do this... split the amount of carbs you want to eat in a day, into two meals; Breakfast & Post-workout meal. Then, skip carbs on the other meals, and that should help you really lean out, and keep, if not gain muscle mass/strength.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Exactly what I was thinking B&B. I'm eating a bowl of oatmeal after morning cardio, and carbs for insulin spike right after workout. Other than that, there might be a few carbs from seasoning/condiments on my chicken breats and beef.

Starting a test week today, tell ya'll how it goes later.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:23 AM

This is why you bulk up first then on the cutting phase cut carbs to get ripped.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Actually you want to do it the other way, cut then bulk, because you will lose muscle mass if you cut 2nd. I was just trying to figure out if I could keep my muscle mass.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:58 PM

It's a cycle so it wouldn't matter what you did first. It's all in timing.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

you wanna make a bet on that
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by stangcrazy
you wanna make a bet on that
Yes. Regardless of which is done first, you will still lose lean mass if you cut your carbs too severely and you will gain a little bodyfat if you up your calorie take a little too much when bulking. It would actually be a little easier to cut after bulking because the extra lean mass gained will slightly raise your resting metabolism, causing you to burn more calories during the day.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Actually you want to do it the other way, cut then bulk, because you will lose muscle mass if you cut 2nd. I was just trying to figure out if I could keep my muscle mass.
The only way to keep your lean mass in the long run (regardless of which cycle comes first) is to not get in a hurry and keep a close eye on your calorie intake and expenditure. Dip too low and you'll start burning muscle. I understand your mindframe in wanting to cut first as you think you will be able to put the lost muscle back on, but if you cut right there will not be any lean mass to re-gain.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Damn you Boost for showing me up
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

apologies MOD ULR
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 06:00 PM
mannish boy

IMHO, you gotta bulk and then cut... to gain lots of muscle, you WILL be gaining some fat... it's just the fastest way to gain muscle. then, during cutting, the increased metabolism from the muscle mass helps burn calories. diet is everything... the less fat you put on while bulking, the better, and the less muscle you burn while cutting the better.

Forrest
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

so what calorie/day diet would you think a 175 lbs. 10-12% BF person want to do for cutting up?

I'm making 130-150g protein, that's only ~550 calories, what should the carb., fat content be?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest
IMHO, you gotta bulk and then cut... to gain lots of muscle, you WILL be gaining some fat... it's just the fastest way to gain muscle. then, during cutting, the increased metabolism from the muscle mass helps burn calories. diet is everything... the less fat you put on while bulking, the better, and the less muscle you burn while cutting the better.

Forrest

Do I hear an echo in here?

LOL!

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
so what calorie/day diet would you think a 175 lbs. 10-12% BF person want to do for cutting up?

I'm making 130-150g protein, that's only ~550 calories, what should the carb., fat content be?
Every body/metabolism is different, but I would start at 2000 calories with 200 grams being protein, minimal unsaturated fats, and absolutely no saturated fats. 2000 is on the high side, but to preserve lean mass you'll want to wean your way down instead of starting too low. After a week check the scale/mirror and reevaluate. 2lbs a week will be the max you want to lose so take your time.

Last edited by Big A; 02-04-2004 at 06:41 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
apologies MOD ULR
Believe me I know. Been lifting for many years. I usually bulk up towards the beginning of Winter then late Winter hit the cardio hard and cut down on the bad things. Like I said it depends on when you want to look your best. My cut cycle starts towards the end of Winter to get ready for Spring and Summer. Never really been into cutting carbs though. I just run my ass off.

<====MOD ULR

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

200g protein is friggin' up there . If ate just chicken breast it would be about 5 chicken breasts/day

Sounds like I'm gonna have to start back up with the tuna
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Lifer

Oh yeah 1g protein per pound. If you are really serious then you can eat more. But sometimes its hard to get all that protein. I have trouble with 200 and I weigh 220.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement