Cardio.... myths or facts? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Cardio.... myths or facts?

I have heard that you need to do at least 20-30 minutes of cardio before anything will start to happen. Is this true? I've been running on the treadmill at lunch b/c that's the only time I have but I can't spend more than 35 minutes on there. Is it worth it? I can usually do about 2.25 miles in 35 minutes @ a 3% incline.

Also.. what else could I do to spice it up? I don't have long at lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Hired Hand

It is true that your body doesn't begin to tap ino your fat stores for energy until about 20 minutes into your cardio workout. If you find a way to "spice it up" lemme know, I usually just put my nose to the grindstone and get it over with.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:24 AM
P.I.M.P.

Runing on an incline with ankle/wrist weights would increase the load and make you work harder, but I don't know how much more fat you would burn.

My suggestion would be to jump rope - best calorie burner out there IMO... maybe warm up on the mill for 5, sprint for 1, jog 2, sprint 1, jog 2 then jump rope for 10 mins then hit get back on the mill for another 10 mins

Just remember, the higher the intensity, the longer your body will burn calories after you stop... walking is pointless, but get your heart rate up by sprinting and you can burn calories for a good 3hrs after you stop

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

which is exactly why i do cardio AFTER lifting weights
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

i 100% dissagree that walking is pointless.. it all depends on your cardio level. i can walk at 3.2 mph and keep my heart rate at 145 bpm by increasing and decreasing the angle of the incline.. if my heard rate is at the right pount. why would i pound my knees by running?
also.. at 3.0 mph a 300lbs person is doing ALOT more cardio vascular work then a 150lbs person at 3 mph.. so you have to look at the weight and physical fitness level of the person doing the cardio. I say get on the treadmill and walk.. see where your heart rate is.. and just your work out to hit the target heart rate you want.. i have droped 15lbs on nothing but walking.
d.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
i 100% dissagree that walking is pointless.. it all depends on your cardio level. i can walk at 3.2 mph and keep my heart rate at 145 bpm by increasing and decreasing the angle of the incline.. if my heard rate is at the right pount. why would i pound my knees by running?
also.. at 3.0 mph a 300lbs person is doing ALOT more cardio vascular work then a 150lbs person at 3 mph.. so you have to look at the weight and physical fitness level of the person doing the cardio. I say get on the treadmill and walk.. see where your heart rate is.. and just your work out to hit the target heart rate you want.. i have droped 15lbs on nothing but walking.
d.
Well said!!!! *clap, clap*
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 12:55 PM
P.I.M.P.

Point taken WL - you're right - I was speaking from the pt of view of a 150-200lb man where I wouldn't benefit much from walking for 30mins... I may see some muscle increase in my legs by putting the incline in and maybe if I used dumbbells I might break a sweat, but that's about it. I retract my statement that walking is pointless, but still feel that I would see little benefit from it in such a short amount of time
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
Point taken WL - you're right - I was speaking from the pt of view of a 150-200lb man where I wouldn't benefit much from walking for 30mins... I may see some muscle increase in my legs by putting the incline in and maybe if I used dumbbells I might break a sweat, but that's about it. I retract my statement that walking is pointless, but still feel that I would see little benefit from it in such a short amount of time
agreed. But you have to answer the Q based on a broaded specturm.. if you can run for 30 min at 6 mph and are 150lbs.. it takes alot more energy then the same run for a 300lbs person.. even if the 300lbs person is in shape.. when shooting for cardio, one needs to focus on heart rate.. not mph and incline. im a fat ass.. and when i get on the treadmill.. a 5.5mph run would kill me.. i can run 5.5 mph for 1 min and my heart rate is at 170ish BPM.

I also do variable intentisty training. i do 20 min of straight constant walking. and then increas the speed and angle. and then decrease it so that my heart rate rises and falls
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

I admit.. im a 300lbs fat ass (5'7") .. my strength SUX compared to what it was when i was 245.. im so out of shape i cant run more then a min with out my asthma kicking in and busting my ass, and im so over weight my scale complains that " one at a time please"
my trying to trim down now.. so im doing alot of research and testing with my diet and cardio.. hopefully soon enough i will have good info on how other fat asses can lose weight
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Right now I walk at about 4.0-4.2 @ 3% incline, which is a pretty brisk walk. When I sprint, I go up to 6.0 and I jog at around 5.0-5.5. I sweat my butt off in the 30 minutes that I do it, it just sucks that the first 20 minutes isn't do anything.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:36 PM
P.I.M.P.

May check with WL and BnB on this one, but if you run int he morning before you eat, then I believe you'll see alot better results. Your body is just coming off an 8hr fast and has nothing to burn but fat so you may start burning as soon as you hit your prime BMP, I don't know... not a CSCS yet
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
May check with WL and BnB on this one, but if you run int he morning before you eat, then I believe you'll see alot better results. Your body is just coming off an 8hr fast and has nothing to burn but fat so you may start burning as soon as you hit your prime BMP, I don't know... not a CSCS yet
I've been doing Pilates in the morning. Getting up and jogging is out of the question. That's like pulling teeth!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Wolverines!!!

Walking isnt pointless go put a Pack on and go do a good hump ull be fuckign beat.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 04:40 PM
P.I.M.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowLX
Walking isnt pointless go put a Pack on and go do a good hump ull be fuckign beat.
How heavy a pack and what hump?

Last edited by Head Hunter; 02-03-2004 at 05:24 PM.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 05:10 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
How heavy a pack and what's a hump?
He's just implying that we're all pussies because we don't do his military PT everyday.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Very correct.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
He's just implying that we're all pussies because we don't do his military PT everyday.
Correction, he just thinks that military do so much. Ha, I've got a few friends in the marines that are in great shape. One of them used to be my main rival in cross country and thought he was gonna wear my ass out, I didn't show him up, but I was right by his side for a good 5miles with a 75lb. pack on.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowLX
lol.. i laugh at your pack. try walk around being 300lbs every day of your life?? lol.. " put a 50lbs pack on and walk" fuck a 50lbs pack.. LOL!! try carry around 100lbs of faT!!!

bHAHAHA

try slaping an extra 100lbs on your body and walking, running, swimming..skipping.. everything with it.

Last edited by White_lightning; 02-03-2004 at 08:28 PM.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Lifer

That just means that if/when you lean up you will be that much stronger for your weight WL
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:19 AM

Damn, lots going on in here since I left this afternoon...

So yeah, I'm of the belief that doing cardio first thing in the morning, before any food, does have greater effects for burning fat. Reason: "The total amount of glucose from carbohydrate (foods) in the blood influences "how quickly" the body will tap body fat as fuel. Even a small carb snack before cardio work can elevate insulin levels and circulating insulin tends to oppose the use of fat as fuel. However, refraining from eating allows blood sugar levels to stay low. When sugar levels are low, the next fuel sources are stored muscle glycogen and body fat. After 5 minutes of constant aerobic work, your body will attempt to do its best and stop burning glycogen. Instead, it shifts its utilization of fuel so mostly body fat is used."

WL is so correct as for the walking, regarding how much work a 150 lb person will do verse a 300 lb person. But I'm pretty sure, every person that reads this on here, can get on a treadmill that can go up to 15% incline, start walking at 4.0 mph, NOT HOLDING ON, and that WILL get their heart rate up! If it doesn't, I'd personally like to know what your RHR (Resting Heart Rate) is!?!

GT Chick ~ Doing Pillates in the morning is great. I'm assuming you're doing the Floor Pilates, which is good, too. Just make sure you ARE getting your heart rate up around your Target Heart Rate (THR). Basically, if you're breaking a good sweat, great. If not..... hit it harder!!!! BTW, I did Pilates, but on the machine, for several months, almost a year ago now. I had to quit when I bought this truck, b/c I couldn't quite afford it anymore. But I will get back into it, once I start making enough money off Massage Therapy and Personal Training. The machine work is much better, IMO!!!
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackandBlueLX
GT Chick ~ Doing Pillates in the morning is great. I'm assuming you're doing the Floor Pilates, which is good, too. Just make sure you ARE getting your heart rate up around your Target Heart Rate (THR). Basically, if you're breaking a good sweat, great. If not..... hit it harder!!!! BTW, I did Pilates, but on the machine, for several months, almost a year ago now. I had to quit when I bought this truck, b/c I couldn't quite afford it anymore. But I will get back into it, once I start making enough money off Massage Therapy and Personal Training. The machine work is much better, IMO!!!
You couldn't afford Pilates?

Yes, I do Mat Pilates. My heart rate doesn't get up around my THR but I'm not doing cardio. Pilates is for stretching, balancing and making your muscles stronger.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
try slaping an extra 100lbs on your body and walking, running, swimming..skipping.. everything with it.
You forgot jiggling...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

hey got boost.. DEEZ NUTS ON YOUR FOREHEAD!!!
:
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Re: Cardio.... myths or facts?

Quote:
Originally posted by GTChick01

Also.. what else could I do to spice it up? I don't have long at lunch.
why didn't the leghumpers jump on that one?
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Hired Hand

Re: Re: Cardio.... myths or facts?

Quote:
Originally posted by lowthreeohz
why didn't the leghumpers jump on that one?

Jared is a pretty big guy.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:35 PM

Quote:
You couldn't afford Pilates?

Yes, I do Mat Pilates. My heart rate doesn't get up around my THR but I'm not doing cardio. Pilates is for stretching, balancing and making your muscles stronger.
Well, I'm purposefully paying a few hundred extra per month on my truck, to pay it off faster than the 5 year loan!! So, no I couldn't afford the $40 a week, which is, as you know, $160-200 a month.

And you're one of those foo-foo pilates girls!! I laughed at those, b/c you all barely broke a sweat. When I was doing it, I was pooring out sweat, and still getting the stretching, balancing, and getting a tad bit stronger (that's what the daily weightlifting was, and still is, for!!!!!!!! Go take a class where you can use the machine. Do that for a few weeks, and see if you don't get in better shape!
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Re: Re: Re: Cardio.... myths or facts?

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
Jared is a pretty big guy.
Big and slow!!
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackandBlueLX
Go take a class where you can use the machine. Do that for a few weeks, and see if you don't get in better shape!
I've never even heard of a pilates class with machines. Where can I get info on those?
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Right now I walk at about 4.0-4.2 @ 3% incline, which is a pretty brisk walk. When I sprint, I go up to 6.0 and I jog at around 5.0-5.5. I sweat my butt off in the 30 minutes that I do it, it just sucks that the first 20 minutes isn't do anything.
but you know how i look at it- besides burning calories, i can tell a difference in my muscle tone in my legs since i have been running/walking. This is my 6th week of consistent running 5x per week. I do 1.5-2.5 miles each time and walk at least a mile as well. Took me 30 minutes to run 1.5 and walk 1 this morning. But it is good for you, no matter how you put it. it is better than doing nothing. Don't think about it not benefitting you until after 20 minutes, think of it as doing something good for you, even if you only can fit in 25 minutes, it is better than nothing!

spice it up by doing interval training like others said, vary speed and incline. Or try some weight training every other day or something else like pilates, kickboxking or step aerobics. Some of those look easy, but they actually really kick your butt and i think are more fun than running on a treadmill!
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
I've been doing Pilates in the morning. Getting up and jogging is out of the question. That's like pulling teeth!
i am NOT a morning person. I could sleep til noon if you let me. But i force myself up at 6am and run for 30 minutes. Sure, i hate it, but i watch the news while i do it and it isn't so bad. Then i feel great the rest of the day and know i got my cardio done with already. That way i can't make excuses later that i am too tired from a full day of work to go run.......cuz i already took care of it in the am. It is a habit now and i like doing it in the morning and getting it over with!! i save the stuff i enjoy for the evenings like weight training.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I've never even heard of a pilates class with machines. Where can I get info on those?
I'm not sure about up there. I just know of a couple places here in Houston, mainly the guy's studio I was taking it at. Fun, fun...

I'm sure you can look it up in the Yellow Pages, or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement