Pick up some more pull ups - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wolverines!!!

Pick up some more pull ups

I want to get up to 20 for my pft in the end of feb. Im at 12, and Ive been working my ass off doing lat pull downs, dips, pullups(obviously), push ups and some tri work outs, what are some good workouts to get some mroe pull ups?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Lifer

Have someone hold your feet so you can force the last reps out. Make sure you controll the rep on the way down, dont just drop down.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 09:48 AM

I'm not a big fan of holding the feet, b/c some people tend to OVER-arch their back when this is done. If you can't get a spotter to help by pushing up on the rib cage (lats area), then try them on a Smith Machine set up, or with a bench behind you, yet close enough for you feet to go on, as if someone were holding your feet. With the Smith Machine, you can set the bar low enough to still do pull ups with your knees bent, and when you start struggling, just place your toes down on the ground, or the bench in that case, and use that leverage to get you up a couple more times.

Other than that, start trying to do these pull ups 2 or 3 times a week. And at least once a week, if not every time, make sure you're nice and warm first, and then do one or two sets of AS MANY AS you can, as if it were your test. Then do a couple follow up sets of as many as you can. You will eventually be able to do as many as you want.

Arnold's old workouts included Chin Ups, working up to sets of 50!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 09:57 AM
P.I.M.P.

I'd suggest using Ankle Weights or a weighted belt to do them. Don't expect to get more then 5 with the belt, but do 2sets weighted and 1 set normal and I bet you see quite a bit of improvement and on that 3rd set you'll feel light as a feather - least until your arms get exhausted
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Lifer

Yeah I had good luck with using a little weight on my body to get my pull-ups done. Just try doing them with your boots on and stick a bunch of crap in your cargo pockets. Do fifty like that no matter how many sets it takes you everyday. Keep increasing the number to about 80-100 everyday like that and get to where your can 15+ with a little weight.

When you do them with just PT gear you'll bang your chest on the bar you'll go up so fast....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement