Creatine versus Glutamine - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Creatine versus Glutamine

How do the two compare and differ in purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 03:55 PM

Glutamine
"Glutamine is an amino acid that makes up 50 to 60% of the total amino acids found in muscles. It is used to off set the negative effects of ammonia that is produced with hard workouts. When the body is stressed, glutamine leaves the muscles and is sent into the blood to support the immune system. It is the "immunity amino acid" - it supports the immune system. Immune support is more important than muscle growth for survival. The immune system must be supported first before muscle growth can occur. Low muscle glutamine levels means no muscle growth. Glutamine, like all amino acids, produce ammonia BUT it decreases more ammonia than it produces. The net effect is LESS ammonia."

Creatine Monohydrate
"Creatine Monohydrate is a supplement that can increase creatine phosphate levels in the body. Increasing creatine phosphate levels allow more ATP to be made. All muscle contraction and muscle growth depends on adequate ATP levels. Insufficient levels of creatine phosphate leads to exhaustion and incomplete muscle recovery."

Creatine Phosphate
"Creatine Phosphate is a high energy compound that acts as a reservoir or back up for the energy producing compound, ATP or adenosine triphophate.
All energy production, muscle building, and muscle contraction relies upon ATP. ATP is made from the foods we eat. Only a small amount of ATP is stored in the cells. Creatine Phosphate is also stored in muscle. It is derived from foods especially red meat. When ATP is used as fuel, the body reduces the ATP to ADP. Creatine phosphate combines with ADP to make new ATP so more energy can be produced."

Taken from Chris Aceto's Understanding Bodybuilding Nutrition & Training
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Hired Hand

In simple terms glutamine is used to build muslce tissue, as it is one of the basic building blocks. Creatine helps you get stonger, recover quicker, and it also makes you a little bigger by filling the muscle cells with water.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 02:51 AM

Should you use Glutamine after a workout or just whenever? Also, isnt there a few different types of Glutamine? like L-Glutamine or something?

D
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks guys. I have been taking Glutamine with a protien shake before working out and then more Glutamine immediately after working out.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 11:41 AM

I take it all day, every day. Like 3 grams with each meal, and 5 g before and after my workouts, as well.

I actually used to not take it, and just be on and off Creatine. I did notice a difference once I added Glutamine to my arsenal of supps.

Good luck!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 12:30 PM
P.I.M.P.

Ne brand of Glut that you'd recommend? I've been noticing my immune system suffering and that i've been having trouble gaining mass... think this might be why
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 05:34 PM

I don't think brand is going to matter too much. I just use Optimum's. Pretty cheap, but I also go through a bottle pretty fast, since I'm taking more than the bottle recommends.

As for your immune system, that may be the reason, and may not. I would make sure you're taking a good multi-vitamin and an anti-oxidant.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 06:43 PM
P.I.M.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackandBlueLX
I don't think brand is going to matter too much. I just use Optimum's. Pretty cheap, but I also go through a bottle pretty fast, since I'm taking more than the bottle recommends.

As for your immune system, that may be the reason, and may not. I would make sure you're taking a good multi-vitamin and an anti-oxidant.
I take a Multi-vitamin called Double X - but what are anti-oxidants?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 07:24 PM

A few of the key vitamins that fight free-radicals in the body, ie. stress, polutants, working out, cardio, harmful contaminants in the air, etc. Nothing you're going to "feel", but certainly help the body recover and stay healthy.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 08:06 AM
P.I.M.P.

Any good ones in particular?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

I like the Sci-fit brand..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement