season workout for a pitcher - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Texan

season workout for a pitcher

i go to plano east and pitch for the baseball team, i have been working out this fall and got my bench max up to 205 and my squat up to 315. . . thats the kind of thing that happens when you're 6'3", 190 lbs.. but anyways, i was wondering if anyone knew of a work out routine that i could use during the season for between starts, maybe 3 or 4 times a week to help me keep what ive got, or maybe even gain a little. the main thing is that i cant be sore, if i am that will mess me up when i pitch and that is no good. any advise is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

steven

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Lifer

PM ls1eater (or he will post up eventually), he's been pitching for years and I'm sure he could help you out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:15 AM
P.I.M.P.

I pitched and QB'd at West and I usually spent alot of time in the gym squatting 60% max, high reps - lunges - jumping rope - etc. I also used the resistance rubber bands to strengthen my arms. This is all extra to my normal weight lifting which I usually did after practice and kept to a rep to failure at 60-70% max

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:34 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

First thing is, in my opinion, what you want to accomplish in-season is maintain your gains from the previous off-season, not improve on them. It's time to pitch with what you got.

What is your rotation, 5 days?

Day before don't do any weights, rest. Some light cross training just to keep lose, don't pound it out. Maybe some tubing exercises. You can get the tubing from Oshmans (or make your own!). GoFit has some decent sets and cheap.

Probably do weights twice a week, whatever you are use to doing, but not as hard. The fact that you continue your weight training will up your poundage, but it isn't important. That is what the off season is for. It's more about honing your skills now.

If you are on a 5-day rotation, I'd also include one day of your pitching limit (what 100-120 pitches?).

So, a couple of days of weights, a few days of running, throw some pitching in there. But remember it ain't about gains now, it's about maintenance of your strength and honing your skills.

Get better as the season progresses, not more tired. Districts aren't one in the first part of the season, they are won in the last part. Make sure you have the strength and aren't burnt out at the end!

Good luck. You work at the Murphy Kwik Kar, do you live up in Murphy?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Texan

thanks a lot everyone. in the past during the season all i used to do was run and work out my arm with really light weights, but i actually made some gains so i thought it's be nice to keep what i've got. i tried to ask coach but he said to just run between starts.

yeah i work up there, i dont work much during the season though, but i'll be back up there after school gets out. i live in plano, near parker and los rios.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 09:58 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by 0 GT 2
thanks a lot everyone. in the past during the season all i used to do was run and work out my arm with really light weights, but i actually made some gains so i thought it's be nice to keep what i've got. i tried to ask coach but he said to just run between starts.

yeah i work up there, i dont work much during the season though, but i'll be back up there after school gets out. i live in plano, near parker and los rios.
Cool.

I would definetly throw some weights in there. Keep your gains from the off-season and build on them next off-season.

When I was playing football, we'd workout with weights on Mondays and Wednesdays, but just Bench/Power Cleans/Squats, just to keep our gains. Monday was light, trying to workout any kinks from the previous Friday. Wednesday was medium to maintain. 5 sets of 5. Sprints on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

In the offseason we'd also put in Inclines, deadlifts, curls, calf raises, shrugs and shoulder presses.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Texan

are you a Murphy Man?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:30 AM
P.I.M.P.

I noticed you said in the past you focused alot on strengthening your arm. Being a pitcher, I'd recommend you focus alot on your legs... that's where 80% of your power should be coming from, if it's not, you're going to end up like me and tearing your rotarary(sp) cuff... also a really good workout is to take a 1-1/2 to 2" dowl, drill a whole through it and run a thick string through the hole. Tie the other end through some weights and secure it. Then hold the dowl in front of your chest, hands just smaller then shoulder width apart, weight dangling on the ground, and begin to roll it up, pushing your hands away from you. This will build up your forearm and give you a better snap (better spiral in football, better curve ball in baseball)

GL this season
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by 0 GT 2
are you a Murphy Man?
Yea. The Cobra, I change its oil.

But the Tahoe gets its oil changed and washed frequently at the Kwik Kar on 544.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Texan

maddhatter-

sorry i didnt clarify. . .
in the past i ran every day (2 miles) for my legs, what i meant was the only part i used weights on was my arm, to keep the strength in the rotator cuff and in my elbow. but i havent had any arm problems yet (knock on wood), the only time i had an injury that took me out was a cyst when i was 12 and i strained my back pitching when i was 16 (it was like 35*)

thanks a lot for the help, i think im gonna go with light weights the day after, then light, but not as light the 3rd day, with throwing, sprinting, and jogging every day i dont lift in between.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement