Bench Press and Ab Workout Questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Bench Press and Ab Workout Questions

1) I've always done bench presses with my feet on the ground, but I've seen alot of people doing it with their knees at a 90* angle. I'm guessing this increases the use of your obliques and other stabilizing muscles, but was just curious what advantages it had over the "old school" way. Any disadvantages (ie only able to lift less weight)?

2) I've been able to really strengthen my abs to the point where i can hit em and they don't budge... all except the lower abs right below the belt line and right above the pubic region. I have the man lines that run from your hips to your pubic region, but when I press on that area, no matter how hard i try and push out, my hand can still push it in, compared to not being able to push in at all on the other ab muscles... How do I strengthen this? I tried leg raises but that seemed to do more for my upper abs, right below my rib cage then my lower abs...

TIA Boost since I'm sure you'll be answering all my questions once again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Hired Hand

Re: Bench Press and Ab Workout Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
1) I've always done bench presses with my feet on the ground, but I've seen alot of people doing it with their knees at a 90* angle. I'm guessing this increases the use of your obliques and other stabilizing muscles, but was just curious what advantages it had over the "old school" way. Any disadvantages (ie only able to lift less weight)?
Having your knees up makes it impossible to cheat by arching your back and focing the movement down on the chest where you are stronger.

Quote:
2) I've been able to really strengthen my abs to the point where i can hit em and they don't budge... all except the lower abs right below the belt line and right above the pubic region. I have the man lines that run from your hips to your pubic region, but when I press on that area, no matter how hard i try and push out, my hand can still push it in, compared to not being able to push in at all on the other ab muscles... How do I strengthen this? I tried leg raises but that seemed to do more for my upper abs, right below my rib cage then my lower abs...
I do leg lifts and pelvic thrusts for the lower abs. People will look at you funny, just remember that you aren't doing it for their entertainment. Pelvic thrusts are the opposite of crunches, curl your pelvis up towards your chin and squeeze at the top.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:30 AM
Lifer

Re: Re: Bench Press and Ab Workout Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?

I do ... pelvic thrusts for the lower abs. People will look at you funny, just remember that you aren't doing it for their entertainment...
I HATE doing those in the gym! haha

But the DO work!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Are these the ones where you put your legs at a 90* angle at the hips, then push your feet toward the celing as you lift your butt off the ground?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:43 AM
tex
Lifer

I hate doing abs in the gym, so except for leg raises and occasionally some weighted crunches, I do all my work at home. That way you don't have to worry about those pelvic thrusts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Are these the ones where you put your legs at a 90* angle at the hips, then push your feet toward the celing as you lift your butt off the ground?
No, lay on your back with your feet flat on the ground, knees bent, and your lower back slightly bent. Now picture your pelvis curling up along the sine and then back down. You can't take it to quite that extreme, but the majority of the motion needs to be concentrated on where the pelvis attachaches to the spine, the "curling" motion ensures that you are using primarily your abs and not your but as if you were puhing the pelvis towards the ceiling.

Like crunches pelvic thrusts are best as a finishing movement after you've tired the abs out a bit. For my initial lower ab exercise I do a superset starting with full range leg lifts. These go from laying flat to your waist being 90 degrees, and then a last little squeeze as you push your feet towards the ceiling. Then without rest I will do a set of just that last little push to the ceilinfg, and then finally (again, without rest) partial leg lifts, going from flat on the ground to feet about 3-4 feet in the air. Then I'll take a 20-30 second break and do a set of pelvic thrusts to finish it out. Set one of three completed.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

What situps will help give me more definition on the lines the ran from my hips to my pubic bone? I don't konw their name
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:02 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
What situps will help give me more definition on the lines the ran from my hips to my pubic bone? I don't konw their name
It's all genetics. You can do leg lifts, throw downs, and pelvic thrusts to define what you've got, bust most of it is left to what your parents left you with.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement