Water--- surely I can't be drinking too much. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Water--- surely I can't be drinking too much.

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am on probation, and I keep getting dilluted U.A.'s. There for a while, I had a dilluted U.A. every month. My probation officer said they ran a test, and I was drinking enough water to kill myself. She also told me to stop drinking water. I am not interested in the legal issues of this, but it has become a health concern.

Last month I handed in another dilluted U.A. They are threatening to put me in jail over it. Anyways, at one point in time, I was trying to clean my system out, but I did not think I was drinking enough water to do damage. At that time, I was working in a hot warehouse, so I drank water to stay hydrated. I cut back on my water intake when they threatened to violate my probation. But last month, when i took the test, I had not been drinking excessive water. In fact, I probably was not drinking enough.

Now I am trying to cut out all cokes, tea, and other crap that is not good for you. I want to drink water, cranberry juice, and gatorade. I reported on Tuesday, and found out about the dilluted U.A., and now it looks like I will not be able to cut them out. I have to be able to drink something, and I had assumed water would be ok.

I drink no more than 5 12 oz. glasses a day. Isn't the recommended amount 8 glasses? Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is this something I need to see a doctor about? I had already planned on going to see one, because they said if I can not give them a written medical explanation from a doctor, I will go to jail.

I do not take any medications, or supplements BTW. My main question is, could there be something wrong with my body? Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Lifer

I am no doctor and by no means can give you advice on what I think the problem might be, but I would definitely suggest a visit to the doctor. That is definitely not too much water intake for the "normal" person. This seems really bizarre to me. I would with no question get it checked out by a medical professional.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redheadintx
I am no doctor and by no means can give you advice on what I think the problem might be, but I would definitely suggest a visit to the doctor. That is definitely not too much water intake for the "normal" person. This seems really bizarre to me. I would with no question get it checked out by a medical professional.
definatly see a doctor

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:36 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I'd go see a doc just to see what is up.

Do you know what test they are doing to test for dilution? The only test I know of is testing for abnormally low creatine in the urine.

Maybe you could creatine-load for a few days before the test.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
I'd go see a doc just to see what is up.

Do you know what test they are doing to test for dilution? The only test I know of is testing for abnormally low creatine in the urine.

Maybe you could creatine-load for a few days before the test.

Back when I was actually trying to clean my system out, because I was still smoking pot, she said something about that.

She said that my creatine count was abnormally low, but I have no clue as to how she would be able to tell what amount of water I was drinking.

Are there diseases or something that causes a low creatine count? I have though about taking a creatine supplement, but I don't want to take too much, and I am unaware as to how that would affect my drug tests. Obviously, being on probation, there is little room for error, and I don't want to risk anything that will throw my tests off, because they will refuse to listen to me, unless I have medical proof.

I am going to go ahead and make an appointment, but it will be at least 2 weeks to a month before I can get in. I am on new insurance, and I have yet to pick out a PCP.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:42 PM
The Big Matt

you should lay off the PCP if you are taking drug tests
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Matt
you should lay off the PCP if you are taking drug tests
I know, but I jsut can't put it down
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:48 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I didn't want to say anything until you talk to the doc, but a low creatine count can be indicative of kidney problems.

Which is why I suggested a doc. If I were you I'd skip the GP and find a urologist on your plan and save an appt. If there is something wrong after the tests, your GP will send you to the urologist anyway.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:53 PM
XL

You need 8 cups of fluid, not 8 glasses of water. So drink juices and milk too if you want, even vegetables and fruit contains a lot of water. BTW, when they say "glass", they mean cup, and that is 8oz.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
I didn't want to say anything until you talk to the doc, but a low creatine count can be indicative of kidney problems.

Which is why I suggested a doc. If I were you I'd skip the GP and find a urologist on your plan and save an appt. If there is something wrong after the tests, your GP will send you to the urologist anyway.
Thanks man, you have been more than helpful.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally posted by XL
You need 8 cups of fluid, not 8 glasses of water. So drink juices and milk too if you want, even vegetables and fruit contains a lot of water. BTW, when they say "glass", they mean cup, and that is 8oz.
At this point, I assumed that amount of ANY fluid would cause my urine to be dilluted. I am wanting to stick to juices, water, and gatorade, because I am on a health kick. I am starting my workouts, and diet, to lose a little flab, and bulk up
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 04:27 PM
XL

Quote:
Originally posted by bcoop
At this point, I assumed that amount of ANY fluid would cause my urine to be dilluted. I am wanting to stick to juices, water, and gatorade, because I am on a health kick. I am starting my workouts, and diet, to lose a little flab, and bulk up
Well, if you want no fat and more protein, skin milk (a.k.a. milk flavored water) would be good too. Since you are excersizing, you need a little more fluids. If you are excersizing and 10 cups of water is "too much", then I would seek a doctor.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 04:34 PM
The Big Matt

Quote:
Originally posted by XL
skin milk
i didn't know you could milk skin...

strange
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 05:20 PM
XL

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Matt
i didn't know you could milk skin...

strange
Well then you need to crawl out from under your rock.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:01 PM
My Boy!

If you are drinking too much water that will overwork your kidneys. Make them work more when they don't need to.

I'm no Dr., but somewhere I read that you can check your piss - sort of like reading your spark plugs. Is it pale or even clear? or is it dark yellow? If it is pale or clear (too rich) then you could cut down on the water intake - you are not flushing anything out at that point, just running water through your system. If it is getting darker yellow (too lean) then drink a little more water. it needs to be somewhere in the middle to a little on the lighter side from what I understand.

I think that standard they say is 8 8oz glasses of water a day. that is 64 oz. You say you are doing 5 12oz glasses a day which is 60. Shouldn't be too much. unless you are alos drinking juice, milk and gatoraid along with the 60 oz of water each day. I"d go visit the Dr. or urologist just to check on things.

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Lifer

Damn. I've been drinking a gallon of wather a day for the past 2 weeks. Do I really need to cut down? I'm doing it mainly to keep me full so I don't eat everything in site.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 09:08 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by GTChick01
Damn. I've been drinking a gallon of wather a day for the past 2 weeks. Do I really need to cut down? I'm doing it mainly to keep me full so I don't eat everything in site.
Most likely the "8 cups per day" mantra was started because that is what is considered the body's requirement per day.

Unfortunately, it doesn't take in account the water content of food. Fruits and veggies are sometimes 90% water by content. Eggs are about 75%.

It also depends how much exercise you are doing, how hot it is (i.e. sweating), etc.

Yes, too much water can strain your kidneys, as well as cause an imbalance of water and salt in the bloodstream.

Typically, I pee until I pee clear. Then, my tank is on "F". May or may not be correct, but it's the easiest for me.

If I do this, I'm somewhere between 80-110 ozs of water a day this past week, when I really started working out again (and no alcohol, for now).
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
If I do this, I'm somewhere between 80-110 ozs of water a day this past week, when I really started working out again (and no alcohol, for now).
B.O.F, I spoke with my parents about this last evening, and as it turns out, my brother has abnormally low creatine count. His has something to do with his heart though. I am waiting on a call back from him, as he lives in Kingwood, so we can discuss how he solved his problem. So far it only seems like 2 things could cause low creatine count, and neither one are anything I want to deal with. This sucks, but hey, I guess I can be glad I know something is wrong now, rather than dropping over dead one day from kidney failure or something.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 09:43 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
B.O.F, I spoke with my parents about this last evening, and as it turns out, my brother has abnormally low creatine count. His has something to do with his heart though. I am waiting on a call back from him, as he lives in Kingwood, so we can discuss how he solved his problem. So far it only seems like 2 things could cause low creatine count, and neither one are anything I want to deal with. This sucks, but hey, I guess I can be glad I know something is wrong now, rather than dropping over dead one day from kidney failure or something.
Ha. I doubt it. If you feel normal, other than that, I'm sure it isn't too too severe.

I can see it relating to the heart also since the function of the kidney is to cleanse all urea and creatine out of the blood. While retaining all the good stuff (like protein, minerals, glucose, etc.).

The only reason I know a little about kidneys (very little) is my right kidney sits wierd. Instead of flat, it is sideways. There is a kink in the renal artery going in and I have to get it check out every once and awhile to make sure I'm still functioning.

Which in itself is nasty, since the stick a microscope up my pee-pee hole (medical term).
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

Which in itself is nasty, since the stick a microscope up my pee-pee hole (medical term).
My last ex-girlfriend had Polycystic Kidney Disease(PKD). All I know about kidneys is what I learned through her experience. If you don't know anything about the disease, be glad you don't have it. That stuff really fucks your whole body up, and there is no cure for it.

I know all about having to get scoped out, but with her, they went in through her back.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 10:08 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
My last ex-girlfriend had Polycystic Kidney Disease(PKD). All I know about kidneys is what I learned through her experience. If you don't know anything about the disease, be glad you don't have it. That stuff really fucks your whole body up, and there is no cure for it.

I know all about having to get scoped out, but with her, they went in through her back.
Ouch. I'll take the pee-pee hole (medical term) way. It hurts to pee for about a day, but then its over. I only get that done about once every 10 years. Interim I get the dye in the bloodstream check.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Ouch. I'll take the pee-pee hole (medical term) way. It hurts to pee for about a day, but then its over. I only get that done about once every 10 years. Interim I get the dye in the bloodstream check.
She goes in for a scope every three months. And she had to get a monthly sonogram in between scopes. I hate to be an insensitive asshole, ok. not really. i like being a dick but she was a pain in the fucking ass to take care of. It was always something. We spent more time at the hospital, and in the ER, than we did at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement