Explain this... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Explain this...

Here lately I can absolutely punish myself in the gym (burnout reps, 21's) making it where I can't lift another lbs of weight. The next morning I wake up like I didn't even do anything. What gives? I used to limp around for a few days after doing this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Crash Test Dummy

I guess your body got used to it.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Body got used to it.

Switch it up for a few weeks, then go back to it. Or use different exercises.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 11:28 AM

Yeah, I'd say two things. Your body has adapted to that program, and is no longer getting much from that workout. That "21s" workout is supposed to be a shocker plan, as in do it like once a month or something to that affect. Two, how much are you doing? Yeah, you say you can't lift another pound after, but truely, I bet that's not the case.

Try this Bicep workout next time.
1) Start with either: Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curls -or- Standing Curled (EZ Curl) Bar ~ 4 to 6 sets (2-3 of those being light warm up, say 40lbs, then 50lbs, then 60 lbs Curled Bar, then hit the 70, 80, 90 or whatever heavy stuff)

2) Seated Incline (at least 45 degrees) Dumbbell Curls, getting the most out of the STRETCH portion of the lift, at the bottom, and hit the peak, Supinate if possible at top ~ 3-4 Sets (advice: do not come all the way up to your arm pit with the DB, leaving your elbow in one spot, the DB should point at an angle towards the ceiling, not straight up, fighting gravity's pull)

3) Standing Hammer Curls w/ Dumbbells -or- Cable Rope Curls (Hammer Position) ~ 3-4 Sets

4) Finally, Standing between two Cables, high mount, Double Bicep Curls, as in doing the Double Bicep Pose ~ 3-4 Sets And this should be Failure for sure... just to finish them off. (*If you don't have access to this setup, do Seated Concentration Dumbbell Curls, with elbow inside of knee)

Perform all these sets with enough weight to be able to do NO MORE than 12 Reps, but at least 6 Reps. Meaning, if you can make it to that 12th rep, add weight on the next set, but if you can't do at least 6, take a little off. SO, IN OTHER WORDS, DO AS MUCH WEIGHT AS YOU CAN, with strict form, of course!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know how that goes for ya, if you try it!!! Oh yeah, and if you have enough energy, do some wrist curls, and reverse wrist curls, just to finish off your forearms while you're at it, in case the Hammers weren't enough.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackandBlueLX
Yeah, I'd say two things. Your body has adapted to that program, and is no longer getting much from that workout. That "21s" workout is supposed to be a shocker plan, as in do it like once a month or something to that affect. Two, how much are you doing? Yeah, you say you can't lift another pound after, but truely, I bet that's not the case.

Try this Bicep workout next time.
1) Start with either: Standing Alternating Dumbbell Curls -or- Standing Curled (EZ Curl) Bar ~ 4 to 6 sets (2-3 of those being light warm up, say 40lbs, then 50lbs, then 60 lbs Curled Bar, then hit the 70, 80, 90 or whatever heavy stuff)

2) Seated Incline (at least 45 degrees) Dumbbell Curls, getting the most out of the STRETCH portion of the lift, at the bottom, and hit the peak, Supinate if possible at top ~ 3-4 Sets (advice: do not come all the way up to your arm pit with the DB, leaving your elbow in one spot, the DB should point at an angle towards the ceiling, not straight up, fighting gravity's pull)

3) Standing Hammer Curls w/ Dumbbells -or- Cable Rope Curls (Hammer Position) ~ 3-4 Sets

4) Finally, Standing between two Cables, high mount, Double Bicep Curls, as in doing the Double Bicep Pose ~ 3-4 Sets And this should be Failure for sure... just to finish them off. (*If you don't have access to this setup, do Seated Concentration Dumbbell Curls, with elbow inside of knee)

Perform all these sets with enough weight to be able to do NO MORE than 12 Reps, but at least 6 Reps. Meaning, if you can make it to that 12th rep, add weight on the next set, but if you can't do at least 6, take a little off. SO, IN OTHER WORDS, DO AS MUCH WEIGHT AS YOU CAN, with strict form, of course!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know how that goes for ya, if you try it!!! Oh yeah, and if you have enough energy, do some wrist curls, and reverse wrist curls, just to finish off your forearms while you're at it, in case the Hammers weren't enough.
I'll definatly try this routine out!

COME ON NOW... MAKE IT HURT!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 01:59 PM

yea, changing routines is ESSENTIAL while workingout!
also if your looking to get bigger then Heavy weight and small reptition or to failure is the only way to go.

p.s. negitive reps and pyramid reps help alot when your limited in your routine
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Lifer

I've got kind of the same problem. I don't hurt the day after, but 2 days after the workout is kind of painful, not as much as it used to be, but still a little sore. Might as well try what the others suggest, I might do it myself.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stangcrazy
I've got kind of the same problem. I don't hurt the day after, but 2 days after the workout is kind of painful, not as much as it used to be, but still a little sore. Might as well try what the others suggest, I might do it myself.
That's how I am, pain the 2nd day. I haven't been that way in a little over a month now, b/c I've been down with the shoulder injury and travelling for the holidays, and all that crap. But starting Monday, my 2 partners and I will be hitting it "heavy" again, so I should be back to "ooowweeeee"s again!!

So, really, if you're still sore like that, I'd stick with whatever routine you're doing, because it is working.... for now. Then switch it up, say to the above routine. Good pain is a good thing! Bad pain is a no-no!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement