What should I be watching? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

What should I be watching?

Now that I'm trying to GAIN weight, what should I watch as far as what I eat goes? I know I should count my calories, but not everything I eat comes with a label on it. Should I be watching fat from calories or sugars or nething like that? I've always tended to go for something high in protein low in carbs, but now almost anything with a decent amount of protein and low fat I eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Crash Test Dummy

You should eat more calories than you expend

Your protein should come from as much lean meat as you can stand with a low or no sugar protein powder to make up the difference.

Eat plenty of veggies too for nutrients. Carbs in the mornings and for lunch to fuel your weight lifting sessions.

You should lift as heavy as you can while still maintaining good form for 6-8reps. 6-8 reps is generally good for muscle growth.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Hired Hand

Re: What should I be watching?

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
Now that I'm trying to GAIN weight, what should I watch as far as what I eat goes? I know I should count my calories, but not everything I eat comes with a label on it. Should I be watching fat from calories or sugars or nething like that? I've always tended to go for something high in protein low in carbs, but now almost anything with a decent amount of protein and low fat I eat.
If you are bulking try to gravitate more towards lean protein sources and stay away from saturated fats, sugars, and alcohol. Some people go into "pig out" mode thinking htat just eating alot will help them grow, but things like refined sugar and ESPECIALLY alcohol may add to your overall calorie count, but the weight gained will be not be as lean. The hinderance is two-fold because the "un-clean calories not only add more fat, but they (specially alcohol) also don't allow your body to create muscle as efficiently as eating the same number of clean calories. With every food choice you make don't only look at calorie count, but also look what kind of fuel (or lack thereof) is contained for your body.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

I've been a pretty anti-fried food guy for a couple years now, but for my purpose, is it really that bad? I've cut out ALL sweets, cokes, and alcohol and drink water and milk and occasionaly fruit juice. Also, as far as fast food goes, how does Wendys salads and hamburgers fair? I've heard several people say that for big protein/calorie foods, fast food hamburgers are good (mcd's Big Mac has like 42g of protein I think according to forrest)

I love subway, but I can't afford to eat it everyday and I'm not big on packing a lunch
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I've been a pretty anti-fried food guy for a couple years now, but for my purpose, is it really that bad? I've cut out ALL sweets, cokes, and alcohol and drink water and milk and occasionaly fruit juice. Also, as far as fast food goes, how does Wendys salads and hamburgers fair? I've heard several people say that for big protein/calorie foods, fast food hamburgers are good (mcd's Big Mac has like 42g of protein I think according to forrest)

I love subway, but I can't afford to eat it everyday and I'm not big on packing a lunch
If you arean't that concerned with staying lean thean eat all the Wendy's you want. If you watch your overall calories fat gain can be kept to a minimum, just make sure that you are getting enough protien to support the growth that you want, and work out with enough intensity to force your body to make that growth. Many people live on fast food and don't carry around a bunch of extra weight, but it's because that's their only meal of the day and you won't see any of them pack on any lean mass eaither.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Would it be wise to try and get 3 of my 6 meals from Protein shakes? If so would pure Whey protein be better then something like Myoplex that I'm currently using? I'm still trying to budget my intake over the day and get the most of my workouts. This weak I'm doing enough weight for the last 5 or 6 reps of the 3rd set to be a struggle, the last 2 usually requiring a spotter but I'll probably knock it down to 6-8 reps and go real heavy.

I have an idea of what I want to "look" like but not really sure how to get there. I don't want to get bulky and muscle bound like some of the guys I see, but at the same time I don't want to be ripped but have no strength to curl a damn bar. I figure I'll just bulk up till I get to the point where I think I may be to big, then cut up from there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

As far as protein goes, any recommendations on this one?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/exl/nitro.html

60g protein, 5g carbs, 280calories
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Would it be wise to try and get 3 of my 6 meals from Protein shakes? If so would pure Whey protein be better then something like Myoplex that I'm currently using?
It takes alot of preparation to get 6 meals of clean "real" food and more time than most of us have. Protein shakes and MRPs are a time-efficient way of ensuring that you meet oyur daily calorie requirements. I'd recommend using a mix of whey and Myoplex to manipulate your carbs. Myoplex would be best before and after workouts, where as the low-carb whey shake would be better for evening and pre-bed time meals. If forced to choose one or the other go for the Myoplex while bulking, clean calories are your friend.

Quote:
I'm still trying to budget my intake over the day and get the most of my workouts. This weak I'm doing enough weight for the last 5 or 6 reps of the 3rd set to be a struggle, the last 2 usually requiring a spotter but I'll probably knock it down to 6-8 reps and go real heavy.
Sounds like a good plan, heavy weights for lower reps are best for mass. Swap every two or three weeks from sets of 10-12 to sets of 6-8 to keep your muscles guessing. Got to failure as often as you have a spot to help you.

Quote:
I have an idea of what I want to "look" like but not really sure how to get there. I don't want to get bulky and muscle bound like some of the guys I see, but at the same time I don't want to be ripped but have no strength to curl a damn bar. I figure I'll just bulk up till I get to the point where I think I may be to big, then cut up from there.
Changes in body composition don't happen over night. You'll have plenty of time to evaluate your physique and decide what goals suit you best.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 01:35 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
As far as protein goes, any recommendations on this one?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/exl/nitro.html

60g protein, 5g carbs, 280calories
Too much protein for one meal. If you buy that drink it in half doses to make sure that you kidneys can prcess it all.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

So I should try and stick to 30-40 g of protein/shake. I know I'm supposed to hit 1g/lb of lean muscle but if I want to gain should I take in more then 1g? Would something in the 200 calorie, 30g protein, 10-15g of carb range work better?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
So I should try and stick to 30-40 g of protein/shake. I know I'm supposed to hit 1g/lb of lean muscle but if I want to gain should I take in more then 1g? Would something in the 200 calorie, 30g protein, 10-15g of carb range work better?
1g per lb is a good starting point, until you've added some serious mass I doubt that you will need any more. 30g at a time every couple hours will have your body primed and ready for growth.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement