First Day - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

First Day

Well today was the first day back in the gym after over 2mos of nothing. Only supplements I'm using are SAN V12 and EAS Myoplex Shakes... have to say 5am is a very ungodly hour, but I feel so damn good right now! Today was chest shoulders and tri's and my arms feel like noodles right now. I got 155 up 12x on the 3rd set on bench and 135 up 6x on decline on 3rd set. Pretty pitiful, I know, but not a bad starting spot. I'll probably just post up every monday morning to check in so you guys can help keep me on the ball. I weighed in at 182 and probably am at around 15-20% BF... I'm shooting for 200 at 10%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Hired Hand

Congrats on getting back into the gym. My only suggestion would be to set some intermediate goals to keep you from getting frustrated or "bored". 200 at 10% is very reachable, but realize that it will take you packing on from 25-35lbs of lean mass while cutting away 7-16lbs of fat, depending on how lean you truly are right now. Decide which is more important at the moment (my suggestion is len mass, you've got farther to go there) and work towards that goal 5-10lbs at a time. The key to success is regular exercise, a clean diet, and plenty of rest.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

I guess my first goal right now is to bulk up cleanly and get my numbers back to what they used to be before cutting down a little bit for summer. Don't really know what reasonable intermediate goals are, which may be why i've always had a hard time keeping a commitment after the 3rd or 4th month

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
Don't really know what reasonable intermediate goals are, which may be why i've always had a hard time keeping a commitment after the 3rd or 4th month
Exactly my point, be specific about your goals to give you an immediate focus. An overall plan such as "200lbs at 10%" is merely a starting point for deciding what to do on a monthly and then daily basis. I would suggest that you gain for a month and then re-evaluate your progress and go from there. If you are happy with the progess you made set your sights to repeat them the next month, if you don't think you hit your full potential step up the poundages and calories and shoot higher for month #2.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

How should I go about settings these goals? I have no idea what's reasonable and how long it'll take - the 200/10% is by Dec 31, 2004
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
How should I go about settings these goals? I have no idea what's reasonable and how long it'll take - the 200/10% is by Dec 31, 2004
I have intentionally been vague because people grow and burn fat at different rates, and even that varies throughout ones lifting career. I'm not saying that you can't do it in a year, it just depends on how clean you can eat and more importantly your bodies ability to transform those calories into lean mass. To gain 30lbs in a year you will need to gain 2.5lbs of muscle per month. That's also figuring that every bit of it is lean mass which is unlikely. Work the numbers in your head and stay realistic, your goals can be flexible, but your determination to grow cannot waver.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

My diet has looked like this so far

5:30am - V12 Mix and Vitamins
6-7:30am - Work Out
7:30am - starving so I ate a banana
8:15am - Ham, Egg, and Cheese on Toast Sandwich w/ 2 glasses of water
11:30am - Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap w/ Lett Tom Pick and low fat ranch from Subway and 2 more glasses of water
3:15pm - a Nutrigrain bar and 2 more glasses of water (healthiest thing I could find in the vending machine)

I plan on having a protein shake later on and another serving of V12 before dinner - not sure what dinner will bring but hopefully a good size portion of meat and veggies.

By 11:30 I was going out of my mind in hunger... I'm trying to eat every 3-4 hours and keep them small and low in sugar.

Any recommendations for what to do about breakfast as I eat after I workout and I go straight from the gym to work. Should I take some instant oatmeal and nuke it up at work or is there a better way? I was told to workout on an empty stomach to help burn fat and then to wait a half hour or so before eating and then when I do to eat something high in carbs and protein for energy

TIA
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 04:24 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
My diet has looked like this so far

5:30am - V12 Mix and Vitamins
6-7:30am - Work Out
7:30am - starving so I ate a banana
8:15am - Ham, Egg, and Cheese on Toast Sandwich w/ 2 glasses of water
11:30am - Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap w/ Lett Tom Pick and low fat ranch from Subway and 2 more glasses of water
3:15pm - a Nutrigrain bar and 2 more glasses of water (healthiest thing I could find in the vending machine)

I plan on having a protein shake later on and another serving of V12 before dinner - not sure what dinner will bring but hopefully a good size portion of meat and veggies.

By 11:30 I was going out of my mind in hunger... I'm trying to eat every 3-4 hours and keep them small and low in sugar.
All of that sounds like a good start, but you need to write it all down and count your calories. If you are hungry like that you aren't eating enough to grow.

Quote:
My Any recommendations for what to do about breakfast as I eat after I workout and I go straight from the gym to work. Should I take some instant oatmeal and nuke it up at work or is there a better way? I was told to workout on an empty stomach to help burn fat and then to wait a half hour or so before eating and then when I do to eat something high in carbs and protein for energy
I eat oatmeal with protein powder in it for breakfast. You may also want to add in a hard boiled egg and another white or two to keep the protein up.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
All of that sounds like a good start, but you need to write it all down and count your calories. If you are hungry like that you aren't eating enough to grow.

Yeah I think I need to eat more, I ate a good dinner of grilled chicken fajitas around 6:30 - had my v12 at 10:00 and protein shake at 10:30 and could only get about half of it down on a full stomach.

Quote:

I eat oatmeal with protein powder in it for breakfast. You may also want to add in a hard boiled egg and another white or two to keep the protein up.
Would you recommend eating that before working out and then eating some fruit or something after?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:

Yeah I think I need to eat more, I ate a good dinner of grilled chicken fajitas around 6:30 - had my v12 at 10:00 and protein shake at 10:30 and could only get about half of it down on a full stomach. [/B]
Sounds like a good start.

Quote:
Would you recommend eating that before working out and then eating some fruit or something after?
I'd recommend eating a good, but small meal consisting of a source of protein and complex carbs no less than an hour prior to your workout. The digestive process can interfere with testosterone production as well as draw much needed blood/glucose away from the muscles and into the stomach.

Post workout you need another dose of protein with some carbs to replenish your glycogen stores, and I've read that a tablespoon of natural honey first will spike your insulin and allow the muscles to absorb more.

Last edited by Big A; 01-06-2004 at 12:08 PM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Are there any advantages to working out in the morning compared to working out in the afternoon or night? By 10 or 11oclock am I feel tired and ready to pass out after a 5am workout. My boss sent me home today b/c I looked sick and he thought I was going to pass out.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Are there any advantages to working out in the morning compared to working out in the afternoon or night? By 10 or 11oclock am I feel tired and ready to pass out after a 5am workout. My boss sent me home today b/c I looked sick and he thought I was going to pass out.

I've read that natural testosterone production peaks in the early afternoon so that technically would be the best time for mass/strength training, but many a tight bod have been forged at 6 in the morning and I persnally work out at 8 in the evening and manage to grow. Cardio, however, is best done in the A.M. prior to your first meal as your body is on the back end of a 7-8 hour fast and is primed to burn fat.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Well I have a new best on the bench as of today... not sure if it's my real max or not but it's the most I have thrown up so figure I'll go with it as my max for now.

Started out with 2 25's and did 3 sets of 10 to warm up... then added 2 35's and did 1 set of 10. After that I added 2 more 25's and threw it up 3 times. Added 2 10's and threw it up 2 times. I wasn't able to get up the next rep so figured that was my max... didn't have alot of energy, but I definately felt stronger then I usually feel. So for now, my max is 235.

Afterwards I went straight into a honeycomb repping out each time and then taking off 10lbs from each side and repping out then repeating... I wasn't sure if I was supposed to rest or not in between so I usually just waited 15-20 seconds, long enough to get the weights on and off, before going back at it.

I think if I had more energy I could have gotten up more, but it definately feels good to know where I stand strength wise rather then just guessing and relying on how I look to rate my progress.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Started out with 2 25's and did 3 sets of 10 to warm up... then added 2 35's and did 1 set of 10. After that I added 2 more 25's and threw it up 3 times. Added 2 10's and threw it up 2 times. I wasn't able to get up the next rep so figured that was my max... didn't have alot of energy, but I definately felt stronger then I usually feel. So for now, my max is 235.
If you did all of that first and still got 235 up twice that's not your max. I would guess more along the lines of 245-255 for a ORM if you just did a light warm-up and went straight for the ORM.

Good progress, keep it up.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
I've read that natural testosterone production peaks in the early afternoon so that technically would be the best time for mass/strength training, but many a tight bod have been forged at 6 in the morning and I persnally work out at 8 in the evening and manage to grow. Cardio, however, is best done in the A.M. prior to your first meal as your body is on the back end of a 7-8 hour fast and is primed to burn fat.
we run in the mornings at our apartment gym- around 6 or 6:30am......usually 1.5-2 miles.......then we hit the gym for strength training in the evenings around 6pm.......Seems to work well for us- plus it breaks it up so that i am not having to run right before or after lifiting weights. Every now and then, i will throw in a little more cardio at night as well, but not often. Doing the cardio early makes me feel great and energized the rest of the day. and now i am throwing in a pilates class during lunch twice a week too.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Quote:
If you did all of that first and still got 235 up twice that's not your max. I would guess more along the lines of 245-255 for a ORM if you just did a light warm-up and went straight for the ORM.

Good progress, keep it up.
I was probably misinformed, but I thought 3 sets of 10 of a very light weight was a proper warm up before maxing out. I did a 4th set of 10 with 165lbs just to make sure my warm up wasn't to light and then went for the max. What would you recommend as a warm up before maxing out? I'll probably try and max my squat and deadlift this weak also just to get starting points. Any advice on how to pick a starting point for a max? I don't squat much, so I don't want to just throw a couple 45's on each side and go for it, but I don't want to wear myself out trying to work up to my max either... Guess it's just trial and error.

I did find this AMAZING workout called "The Bear" - it was created and used by some football coach and it kicked my butt. It's pretty much a superset that goes from a deadhang, to a powerclean, to a front squat, up to a clean push, then let down the bar onto your shoulders and do a back squat, drive it back up to a clean push, then return it to the starting position. Do 4 sets of 6 with 70% of your max clean push and you'll definately be feeling it. I just did it with the bar to try and work on my form and make sure I could go through all the movements properly and slowly and by the 4th set I was feeling it. I found it in Men's Health and saved the article in my Workout Notebook, so if you have any questions I can try and answer em.

I have noticed that i'm CONSTANTLY hungry. I'm not sure if it's from my metabolism shooting through the roof or maybe I've taken the 6 small meals a day thing to an extreme, have had a hard time counting calories so I just try and hit 180g of protein, but so far today, I had a granola bar at 5:30am, a Chicken & Egg biscuit from ChickFilA @ 7am, had a sausage, egg, and ham burito at 9am and a ham, egg, cheese and wheat toast sandwhich at 10:20am. Everytime I ate because I was hungry not because of a craving which is my usual reason for eating, that or i think it's "time" Yet here it is, 11am and I'm already starting to feel hungry again. Probably going to have to split up my protein between home and work and keep a shaker at each place and start drinking a couple shakes here at work b/c I seriously don't think I can keep affording to eat this much...
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
I was probably misinformed, but I thought 3 sets of 10 of a very light weight was a proper warm up before maxing out. I did a 4th set of 10 with 165lbs just to make sure my warm up wasn't to light and then went for the max. What would you recommend as a warm up before maxing out? I'll probably try and max my squat and deadlift this weak also just to get starting points. Any advice on how to pick a starting point for a max? I don't squat much, so I don't want to just throw a couple 45's on each side and go for it, but I don't want to wear myself out trying to work up to my max either... Guess it's just trial and error.
I personally do just a single set of 135 for about 18-20 reps for a warm-up. I like just a light set to get blood into the chest and loosen the joints without stessing the muscles enough to affect the next full set. Being that you are a little smaller something like 95 or 115 woud be a good warm-up weight. If a single set doesn't leave you "warm" enough do another one or maybe two, but don't up the weight until your work set. Save the bulk of your energy for the heavier sets, the warm-up's sole purpose is to loosen you up, not to pre-tire you.

Quote:
I have noticed that i'm CONSTANTLY hungry. I'm not sure if it's from my metabolism shooting through the roof or maybe I've taken the 6 small meals a day thing to an extreme, have had a hard time counting calories so I just try and hit 180g of protein, but so far today, I had a granola bar at 5:30am, a Chicken & Egg biscuit from ChickFilA @ 7am, had a sausage, egg, and ham burito at 9am and a ham, egg, cheese and wheat toast sandwhich at 10:20am. Everytime I ate because I was hungry not because of a craving which is my usual reason for eating, that or i think it's "time" Yet here it is, 11am and I'm already starting to feel hungry again. Probably going to have to split up my protein between home and work and keep a shaker at each place and start drinking a couple shakes here at work b/c I seriously don't think I can keep affording to eat this much...
It's amazing how a little exercise can open up your metabolic flood gates. You simply need to eat more to accomodate the muscle building process.

Last edited by Big A; 01-20-2004 at 12:18 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
I personally do just a single set of 135 for about 18-20 reps for a warm-up. I like just a light set to get blood into the chest and loosen the joints without stessing the muscles enough to affect the next full set. Being that you are a little smaller something like 995 or 115 woud be a good warm-up weight. If a single set doesn't leave you "
you warm up with 995? DIZZZAAAM
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
you warm up with 995? DIZZZAAAM
Don'tchoo be correcting me BOY.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Quote:
It's amazing how a little exercise can open up your metabolic flood gates. You simply need to eat more to accomodate the muscle building process.
These damn cans of tuna just aren't big enough... might have to just premix a big ol bowl of tuna, mustard, and eggs and make some tuna sandwhiches for snacks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement