Atkins Diet+Working out? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
STILL EVIL!!

Question Atkins Diet+Working out?

I have a question. I am back on the Atkins Diet after being off for a while and I am going to stick with it this year. My question is should the diet be effected by weight lifting? I have been on the diet before and all told in just over 7 months I lost 95lbs, well after 3 years I have most of that back I should have maintained better but I can't do anything about that now. I like working out, I always have since football. The first time I was on the diet I found that if I lifted hard and really pushed myself the weight loss just stopped dead in it's tracks. I thought for a while that maybe I was just offsetting the weight loss with muscle gained but after about 3 weeks with no loss and no real fat loss I wasn't sure what do to. I stopped working with weights for a week and kept the cardio and dropped about 5lbs right away. I talked to a trainer about it and he thought it might be that when working out and building muscle that your body produces insulin which is a type of sugar and was stopping the Atkins Diet. Does this seem like it could be the case? I want to do the Atkins diet for the weight loss because I know it works. I have tried other weight loss ideas but the Atkins diet seems to agree with my body. What type of a work out routine would you recomend for someone who is needing to keep carbs and sugars to a minium.

Last edited by OvrKill; 01-03-2004 at 04:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 04:11 AM
Foxaholic

Re: Atkins Diet+Working out?

Quote:
Originally posted by OvrKill
What type of a work out routine would you recomend for someone who is needing to keep carbs and sugars to a minium.
Honestly, you should keep calories in check, not carbs but I won't argue that with you. I'm retired.

Quote:
I have been on the diet before and all told in just over 7 months I lost 95lbs, well after 3 years I have most of that back I should have maintained better but I can't do anything about that now.
Yes you can. Learn how to eat and exercise correctly and consistantly. There is a reason you gained the weight back and it has nothing to do with carbs. It has everything to do with you taking in more calories than you burned on a daily basis. Fix that issue and make it a lifestyle and you are golden.

<---- can't stay out of this forum for some reason. Maybe I should come out of retirement...

NAH!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
STILL EVIL!!

Re: Re: Atkins Diet+Working out?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad89stang
Honestly, you should keep calories in check, not carbs but I won't argue that with you. I'm retired.
lol I probably know what you are thinking I have got it a lot from my familiy but the diet just seems to work with me. I have tried to keep calories down and work out and the weight loss just seems to be so slow, like loosing 2lbs every few weeks. But I think with the diet this time I am really going to watch the calorie intake, focus on vegitables, and eat leaner peices of meat.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 04:25 AM
Foxaholic

2 lbs. a week is excellent. There is a reason that is takes awhile to make REAL progress.

Most of my clients averaged 1.5-2 lbs. a week and that is where I would know when the calorie range/deficeit was at the right level. Remember, the more muscle you can put on = more calories burned by the body at rest and in motion.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 04:30 AM
Foxaholic

Re: Re: Re: Atkins Diet+Working out?

Quote:
lol I probably know what you are thinking I have got it a lot from my familiy but the diet just seems to work with me.
Of course it works, but think about what the diet really boils down to... cutting out a significant number of calories. In this case it is carbs. The number one source of energy for the body. Not a good idea for long term success.

Take away those surplus calories the right way through cardio or better calorie management (all forms of calories) and your results will be much more concrete.

Determine how many calories you need each day to maintain your bodyfat % and take away 500 each day. That is a good rule of thumb to work with.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 09:40 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Do what works for you. Some people respond great on the Atkins, some people don't. With as many chemicals, processes, et al going on in each person's body, there isn't any cookie cutter diet that will work.

If you are seriously lifting and dieting, you may want to look over Lyle McDonald's archives on his experience with the Body Opus plan (a modified Atkins, which allows for carb ingestion a day or two a week for replishment).

http://low-carb.org/lylemcd/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement