Losing Weight - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
World Record Holder!

Thumbs up Losing Weight

OK, I have a doctor's appointment this morning to get the results of my physical I had a couple of weeks ago. I already know that my cholesterol is 190 and my blood pressure is normal. The reason I got the physical was to know if it was safe to lose some weight and start some exercise. I'd like to lose 75lbs or so (yea, I know, I'm a pig). We've got a really snazzy tread mill that I intend to clean the dust off of and walk on. What diets have worked for you? I think I could do the Atkins diet but there are so many conflict stories on its effectiveness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:32 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

I switched to drinking water or diet soda only and lost 15 pounds over a years time.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:57 AM
DFWmustangs.net

I just got off the Atkins diet, did it for 2 weeks and lost 14lbs, but the lack of carbs will definitely affect your mood ! I just decided to lose weight the right way and watch what I eat and how much and EXERCISE,which is the key !

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:59 AM
WTF is Zed?

I lost 25 lbs on Atkins in 6 weeks. I loved the diet. I was barely overweight (5'8" 180 lbs), I'm now down to 153.

I stopped the Atkins on Thanksgiving and have not gained back any weight over the holidays. I now eat what I want, although in smaller portions.

The best thing I liked about Atkins is since your body is burning stored fat it works right where you want it to. I lost all my weight in my gut and love handles, since my protein intake was so high I didn't lose any size in my arms, chest, or shoulders.

Nothing like a diet where you eat steak, bacon, eggs, and cheese and lose weight
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:14 AM
The original

I'm doing the South Beach. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I couldn't completely cut out carbs for the first 2 weeks like they like since I was nursing. It's nice because you can still have good carbs, but it is definitely a life change you have to make.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:23 AM
Lifer

I would just eat right and eat smaller portions. Join a fitness center and get some excersize. You'll feel a whole lot better than starving your self of carbs and you'll keep the cholesterol down.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:32 AM
Timmay

I don't like the Atkins diet.. personal opinion. Run, lift and eat right and you will see results that stick.. losing weight is a lifestyle change.. not a temporary fix.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:00 AM
Other half of bitter

if you want to keep weight off permanently.....first off, best to not use the word DIET.....instead, life style change. Pick something that you can do FOREVER and stick with....usually the stricter it is, the more apt you are to fail. Start slow, change one thing at a time, like cutting out soda and drinking more water the first week- the next week, change something else on top of that. .. Adding exercise slowly. Cutting out using butter and oil. Trying to do too much at once can overwhelm you. Go slow and find something you can stick with for good, not just for a few weeks or a month. good luck!
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Pimp Juice ca. 1997

I need to diet.....

My doctor told me a few months ago that I need to cut out red meat and fried foods for a while, as my cholesteral was 289. I have to go back in early Jan to retest to see what it is now. If it's not below 220, I have to start taking meds for it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
God bless you Roscoe and all you do for humanity and this board in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiny Tim
I don't like the Atkins diet.. personal opinion. Run, lift and eat right and you will see results that stick.. losing weight is a lifestyle change.. not a temporary fix.
Exactly. Look at it as a "lifestyle change" instead of a diet, and you will have better results. I lost 57 lbs. in 3 months last year by eating right and going to the gym every other day. I had more energy and didn't want to eat all the time. Exercising will do that to you.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:44 AM
Time Served

Legwork

The treadmill is a great idea because it works the largest muscles. The real key in my opinion is in the legwork. ITs simple, bigger muscles use more fuel ALL the time. Legs are the fastest muscles to grow (and hard and painful) because each workout tears more muscle cells and heals more of them larger over the next day than a smaller muscle (biceps, chest, etc). Notice how the smaller the legs get, the bigger the belly gets. Add in some crunches to pull the muscle wall back in and things get better in a hurry. Unless you can live on 1200 calories a day, I wouldn't count on dieting as a long term solution. If you're a normal guy, that is one meal. Doesn't work for me.

P.S. I lost 60 pounds in one summer (205-155 age 14) and it took a 1500 calorie diet, wind sprints, jogging, and all kinds of calisthenics every single day. I took 25 off another time in similar fashion (185-165 age 24- starved off what muscle mass I had/BAD deal) over six months and 35 again in two years (220-185 age 26-28 less dieting/aerobic-more mass). All of the weight gains tie directly to inactivity. Humans were never supposed to be sedentary. Since all that I put on a lot more muscle and I can't get below 195 (age 33) cuz there is no fat to cut below that. Now that I have a 'normal' amount of muscle, things have really levelled off and I don't think about what I eat. Anyway, that was just my story. 75 lbs is an outstanding goal and you are looking at life changes on a major scale whether you plan to do it in a year or three. The good news is that you'll make it either way as long as you keep trying.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
World Record Holder!

Just got back from the doc. I'm good to go! My good cholesterol is a little low but other than that, the blood work, x-rays and EKG look good. Oh, and the prostate exam was a blast! Getting old sux!
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 10:29 AM
Worship me

Kirk, get on the treadmill man, its the best thing you can do.

I would have told the doc that I'd pass on the prostrate exam since I am straight....LOL
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 10:30 AM
3 valves

Ive lost 35 lbs since I started. I met my first goal and am well under where I needed to be (weigh 170, needed to weigh 184 max)

All I did was watched what I ate, ate less bad foods and less sugar. and RAN. run run run!

2007 Alloy Grey Mustang GT - 1996 Mustang GT
The Village Idiot

www.militarystangs.com
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by 4DRSS
Nothing like a diet where you eat steak, bacon, eggs, and cheese and lose weight
I am getting ready to go back on this one again..
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Hired Hand

Michelle hit the nail on the head, moderation and slow livable changes are what is necessary to lose bodyfat and most importantly how to keep it off. Don't get in a hurry, you didn't put all that extra weight on in four weeks so don't expect it to come off that quickly.

Some basics are to stay away from saturated fats and refined sugars. Stick to whole foods and eat slowly until you are full. Keep your portions in check and stay away from situations that allow a lapse in prtion control as in eating from a bag of chips or some other bulk container. Portion out exaclty how much you want to eat and put the rest away before digging in. You won't transform your diet over night, just keep a constant eye on what you are eating and make the effort to make healthier choices each day. You aren't "going on a diet" because anything you eat (healthy or otherwise) IS your diet, you are making your diet healthier and less calorific.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Time Served

Mathwork

1 pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. 70 pounds of fat is equal to 245,000 calories. If you cut 500 calories a week (what my Dr. recommended), it will take you NINE and ONE HALF years to lose 70 lbs. Cutting calories is absolutely necessary, but to get from here to there you will need more motor or a whole lotta rpm (or 9 years). The quickest way to frustration (and giving up) is having expectations that are out of line with your strategy. If you just step up to being moderately active (treadmill) you can expect about 10 pounds of weight loss per year. MOST RESPECTABLE!!
But don't get disheartened six months in and no visible results.

The big question is 'where do you plan to be in 10 years?' anyway. If you drop 70 pounds in ten years, you'll still look great for the rest of your life.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:26 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯

Ahh, perhaps now you'll be able to run those 6.80's

Good luck 302PAF, running helps a TON. You'll feel like a panzy at first when you realize you cant run a mile without getting mad winded, but that goes away after a couple of weeks.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:26 AM
Hired Hand

Re: Mathwork

Quote:
Originally posted by TheAsp!
If you just step up to being moderately active (treadmill) you can expect about 10 pounds of weight loss per year. MOST RESPECTABLE!!
But don't get disheartened six months in and no visible results.
10 pounds a year is nothing, when lean mass isn't as much of a concern losing 2-3 pounds a week is highly possible (100-150lbs/year) and to do it while watching strength (1lb per week), 52lbs in a year is almost easy. The key is consistency, losing a pound per week may seem slow, but it's alot more effective than losing 5 a week for a couple weeks and then eating it back on because you have been so deprived. Patience and consisteny are imperative to succesful long-term fat loss.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:51 AM
Time Served

No doubt.

No doubt, 500 calories a day gets you to 52 lbs in a year. ANY time you eat more than that you lose a day, a week etc. One pizza purge removes the whole week. A six-pack of regular beer is 1800 calories. Put it on a weekly chart and most folks can see that the ol' fat thermostat is keeping things real close to equal.

Do YOU believe that it is normal to lose 52 lbs in a year?
How many folks do YOU know that have done it?
Do you feel that you can do that without losing muscle mass? No way. Especially if you aren't lifting or running to keep it on. Once you lose the muscle mass, the weight comes back that much faster. Even 52 lbs. in a year is absolutely extraordinary and extremely difficult to believe without a LOT of exercise (or illness). Remember, I have done this a few times and sat around watching what I ate WHILE getting fat. Nutritionists cannot measure portions correctly without measuring cups (they consistently oversize). What are the odds you'd get that right when your hungry? lol I can't, fo' sho'~!
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:59 AM
Hired Hand

Re: No doubt.

Quote:
I don't know anyone personally who's lost a full 52lbs in a year, but I do know several people that have lost 10-20lbs at a pound or two a week and had they needed to lose more could have easily kept going.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:02 PM
Insane In The Membrane

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiny Tim
Word up!
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:05 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:

Do you feel that you can do that without losing muscle mass? No way. Especially if you aren't lifting or running to keep it on. Once you lose the muscle mass, the weight comes back that much faster. Even 52 lbs. in a year is absolutely extraordinary and extremely difficult to believe without a LOT of exercise (or illness).
I know a few people that have, just because YOU can't do it, doesn't mean no one else can. The only reason that it isn't normal is because very few people have the desire to it. They'd rather stay fat than work.
Quote:

Remember, I have done this a few times and sat around watching what I ate WHILE getting fat. Nutritionists cannot measure portions correctly without measuring cups (they consistently oversize). What are the odds you'd get that right when your hungry? lol I can't, fo' sho'~!
We know you failed, you've already told us you don't REALLY know what you're doing, or else you wouldn't have so much experience. If you knew it all, you wouldn't keep getting fat.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Time Served

Read before you post...

I said in my original post that I had lost that weight several times, but that the only way to keep it off is with exercise and muscle mass. Since I have succeeded not once but three times and have finally kept it off, would indicate that I did not fail and succeed every day. While you wrote that erroneous and misguided statement to allay your own personal failures, I ran two miles WITH my two dogs jerking me all over the place. Failed? Who failed? Know your bandwidth!

Anyway, its just an opinion and thanks for yours. ANY approach is better than doing nothing.

Last edited by TheAsp!; 12-29-2003 at 12:28 PM.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:54 PM
Hired Hand

Re: Read before you post...

Quote:
I said in my original post that I had lost that weight several times, but that the only way to keep it off is with exercise and muscle mass.
The key to keeping off extra bodyfat is to learn to eat a healthy and calorie specific diet. Once someone has learned the calorie intake necessary to maintain their target weight. It's not necessary to be an avid runner to maintain a lean range of bodyfat. Anyone, however, that is unable to eat the appropriate amount of calories will need to resort to cardiovascular exercise to burn off those extra calories. This is not an opinion, it is simple fact. Losing the weight is the "easy" part, as you have show through your typical yo-yo cycle, maintenance is the more difficult part of long-term success.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:03 PM
The Big Matt

For the record... I lost 60 pounds is just about a years time.

I weighed more than 320 pounds. And in about a year's time I was down to the 270 range. The lowest I've been was mid 250s, and now I'm probably back in the 270 range again. And I haven't lost a bit of muscle mass. My thighs are probably as big around as your waist, and my calves, as big as your thighs.

It's not hard to lose more than a pound a week, when you aren't focusing strictly on calorie content weight loss.

Everyone's body is different, certain things work for certain people. The best bet is to try a few things, see what you can stick with long enough to lose weight, and go with it. For me it was the Atkins diet. When I was younger I tried all kinds of things, personal trainers, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc. But none of them worked for me. Then a few years ago I tried the Atkins diet, and it was a perfect fit for me and my lifestyle.

Do what works for you
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
[B]

How many folks do YOU know that have done it? [B]
normal.. no
but im going to shoot for losing 40-55lbs This year..

will it be tough? yes.. do i think its possible? yes..
but then Got boost will tell you.. alot of stuff i do isnt normal
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:14 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by 302_plus_a_few
Oh, and the prostate exam was a blast! Getting old sux!
My doctor told me...

"Now, I'm going to place my left hand on your shoulder. Only become concerned if you feel both my left hand and my right hand on your shoulders."
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
My doctor told me...

"Now, I'm going to place my left hand on your shoulder. Only become concerned if you feel both my left hand and my right hand on your shoulders."

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:21 PM

i lost 40lbs in 2 months
i will post how i did when i get some time to type the diet i used.
starting Jan 1st im getting back on it to lose another 40 since i gained 10 back the past year

<----- Red92Stang
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:24 PM
The Big Matt

Re: Re: No doubt.

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
but then Got boost will tell you.. alot of stuff i do isnt normal
like their sex life...
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:34 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Re: Re: Re: No doubt.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Matt
like their sex life...
matt. there is NO one for me except for you baby you know that..
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:35 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Re: Re: Re: Re: No doubt.

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
matt. there is NO one for me except for you baby you know that..
Now, that's an image burned into my brain!
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:37 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: No doubt.

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Now, that's an image burned into my brain!
maybe it will help you with a bulemia binge purging diet
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:42 PM
The Big Matt

help, help, the fat south african russian jew american is after my anus...

HELP!!!
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:45 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by The Big Matt
help, help, the fat south african russian jew american is after my anus...

HELP!!!
naaa you knowits plutonic.. i just want a hugg no sex.. im failthfull to my wife if i wasnt. she would skin me alive
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Merry HoHo

kirk, sarah has lost 65 pounds in 6 mounths.

.(OBAMA) One Big Ass Mistake America
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 06:37 PM
93 Blk Coupe

at the beginning of last year, i stopped eating after 7pm and stopped drinking soda and lost over 20 lbs...
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 06:47 PM
v2004 rebooted.

I lost 72 pounds in a year when I was a senior in HS. I just ate a hell of alot less, didn't really excersise. Last year I lost 40. Just cut out alot of eating is the way it works for me, with occasional excersise. I'm 6'3 and my weight really fluctuates all voer the place if I dont pay attention to it. I weighed 250 when I lost the 72 pounds, 260 when I lost the 40. I'm hovering around 230 right now. I need to supercharger my metabolism.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:08 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally posted by STRONGNUFF
I just got off the Atkins diet, did it for 2 weeks and lost 14lbs, but the lack of carbs will definitely affect your mood ! I just decided to lose weight the right way and watch what I eat and how much and EXERCISE,which is the key !

I've been on the atkins diet my whole life, I hate sweet things.
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 07:17 PM
Lifer

if you want my opinion here is the way to lose weight and keep it off. monday thru friday count your carbs. stay below 40g. i know it will be tough at first but after the first week you stop craving them. on the weekends you can splurge a bit. also start jogging 2-3 times a week and increase your distance and when you can, run 4 times a week. trust me, after the first couple of weeks of running you will be able to run several miles easily. also, a good rule to follow is not to eat anything white and dont eat after 7pm. if you follow this routine religiously you will lose weight and keep it off. a couple of friends that i started on this plan lost 30lbs in 3 months.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 08:56 PM
Formerly 5.0Vert

you want to know how to lose weight......

you should try running for at least 20 minutes a day non stop(and don't go buttslow either)it'll be painful at first but if you do this......your body will burn fat all day, i eat whatever i want, i'm kinda skinny and i don't ever gain any weight....

post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-01-2004, 10:16 PM
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally posted by 5.0Vert
you want to know how to lose weight......

you should try running for at least 20 minutes a day non stop(and don't go buttslow either)it'll be painful at first but if you do this......your body will burn fat all day, i eat whatever i want, i'm kinda skinny and i don't ever gain any weight....

Dude, I did that a few times and checked my heart rate and I was up around my max rate. I had to actually slow down my running to keep my heart rate where it needed to be for the 25 minute sessions. It worked though - 5 lbs in a week. I'll definately be doing that again when it comes time to tone up this spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement