Brand - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
who cares

Question Brand

Whats the best brand for speakers out there now? I want cheap but good quailty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:17 AM
Hustlin'

re: your ?

Well, speakers are an abstract thing to give advice on. A little known secret is that you can make average speakers sound ALOT better with some kind of EQ, all be it a little more install work. I have a set of DEI Carbon injected 6 1/2's that Im not using in my current stang that ROCKED! They are mids only and I used them with $20 Radioshack tweeters. That combined with 2 JL 10w0 10's netted a second place trophey at earmark in richardson in the summer of 99. I was amazed at how it all came to gether with a little EQ action. Im actually trying to sell these as I am shopping for 5x7's this time. I will likely do something moderate and then EQ tweek the system to perfection. Works like a champ. Give me a buzz if you might want the 6 1/2's.

"Jesus has my heart, but Whiskey has my liver" --Jason Boland
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 03:18 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Were there only 2 people in your class which gave you second by default?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 05:43 PM
Hustlin'

very funny, scan on its way

no slapshit, fraid not, ill have to scan my sheat with SPL/place. Its been 2 summers, but I recall an S10 blazer with 4 15's, A rather large box with something like 10 12's whose owner couldnt get up to good spl that day for some reason, and alot of other sweet cars. The car that out bumped my stang had 4 18's in a Push/pull vented setup, all in the back seat/trunk of a Ford LTD. This was not an IASCA event and as such was Outlaw in the SPL drag, so everyone had an equal chance to put up or shut up. There were something like 15 entrys in this sound-off I think.

Aside from the SPL, I recieved mucho props from most everyone there on the low cost of my system and high quality mids/highs/lows. Most people are shocked at the specs of the RS $20 tweeter. The stang that this system was in is pictured.

http://rampages.onramp.net/~damon/images/Saleen_1.JPG

This 94 GT had simiply 2 RS tweeters, to DEI 6 1/2's, 2 JL 10's (low end) and a HC Audiobahn 4 CH running mixed 2 OHM mono/stereo, EQ'd by an audiocontrol EQT. The box I built was trimed in yellow vynil (sp?) and was to spec airspace, sealed. Im not going to fib on the SPL, so I'll have to wait till I scan because I cant remeber. Since I did all the install myself, I think I was out for less than 900, maybe 800 I cant remember how much I had in the headunit, I had it from a previous stang.

Anyway, thats the skinny on a rockin, low budget stereo. It can be done.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:26 PM

I would go with some JL's
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:34 PM
Hired Hand

Re: re: your ?

Quote:
Originally posted by blacksn95
Well, speakers are an abstract thing to give advice on. A little known secret is that you can make average speakers sound ALOT better with some kind of EQ, all be it a little more install work. I have a set of DEI Carbon injected 6 1/2's that Im not using in my current stang that ROCKED! They are mids only and I used them with $20 Radioshack tweeters. That combined with 2 JL 10w0 10's netted a second place trophey at earmark in richardson in the summer of 99. I was amazed at how it all came to gether with a little EQ action. Im actually trying to sell these as I am shopping for 5x7's this time. I will likely do something moderate and then EQ tweek the system to perfection. Works like a champ. Give me a buzz if you might want the 6 1/2's.
blacksn95,

While I do agree that telling someone what speaker is going to sound the best for them is VERY difficult, I tend to disagree with your statements on equalization.

Equalizers can certianly help fix the inherent accoustic problems of automobiles (most are mid-bass heavy), however EQ's do nothing to actually change a speaker.

I am sure that you system sounded good, but I can almost promise you it could have sounded better with some higher quality tweeters (I am a big fan of the DEI mids).

James
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 11:42 PM
Hired Hand

Re: Brand

Quote:
Originally posted by sassystang
Sassy,

Lets first start with what year car you have, I am assuming it is a Mustang.

Now, what kind of speakers are you looking for?
Speakers for the front and rear?
Or, are you looking for subwoofers?

If you are looking for subs, do you already have an amp and/or box?

James
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 01:17 AM
Hustlin'

Re:

No doubt, i would have prefered a set of MB Quart tweets, at the time of purchase, I couldnt bring myself to drop the coin, so i spent 1/4 and wound up with something that worked well. The EQ doesnt change the characteristics of the driver, true, I just foud that cheap little things sweet spots and let them sing. Also, I had them fiberglassed in the Mach door pods for a good stage. Alternatively, I was tempted to try a kickpanal placement, but ended up not keeping the car long enough. If you have a good tweeter budget, Get the best you can afford (especailly since these little things are responsible for so much) but on a PTimers budget, lesser with a EQ tweak is a close second.

As far as speaker advice, for the mustang there is a miriad of aftermarket drivers. Its personal taste that will ultimately draw you to what YOU like. Speakers are like Wheels, what one likes, the other may not. Just be aware of RMS power and decibel effeciency (SPL). Aside from that, choosing a speaker with rubber surround material is a good move for automotive sound (less or NO rot as in foam surround speakers).

If you can afford a tweeter/ 4" / 5 1/4" OR 6 1/2" , this triple combo yeilds the most believable sound stage, and produces a well rounded sound. I would also advise testing mids/highs with music that is primarily female voice / double bass (upright) and well recorded live music. Sarah McLachlan / Eagles unplugged version of Hotel California and possibly some R&B.

The female voice, for me, is what convinces me that a speaker is performing up to snuff accross a broad range. The rest is preference, but it is good test material I'll tell ya that. Anyway, hope this helps. As far as brand go, big dollar mids usually perform best. MB Quart / Diamond / Focal / and even this years Infinity isnt to shabby. Good luck

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
who cares

Re: Re: Brand

Quote:
Originally posted by 89lx5.0

Sassy,

Lets first start with what year car you have, I am assuming it is a Mustang.

Now, what kind of speakers are you looking for?
Speakers for the front and rear?
Or, are you looking for subwoofers?

If you are looking for subs, do you already have an amp and/or box?

James
LOL,yes I have a stang 94' Not sure what I am looking for.Just was asking. I have nothing,just wanted some more BOOM for the rear...... Dont want to spend alot though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 09:44 PM
Hustlin'

cheap boom

have you looked into amped bazooka tube, not bad price, size, and amp included

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
who cares

Re: cheap boom

Quote:
Originally posted by blacksn95
have you looked into amped bazooka tube, not bad price, size, and amp included
never heard of it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 10:37 PM
Hustlin'

I found this site that has pics of the 3 that ive heard

http://www.carstereopro.com/bazooka.html

Id go with the 10, my roomie had that and it works nice. His isnt amped either, those amped ones make great sound for what they are. Good luck!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
who cares

cool thanks.....
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-09-2001, 09:23 PM
Hustlin'

FYI, i picked up some eclipse 5x7's today. After alot of shopping, i found these to be the best sounding, loudest, clearest...etc. I compared to boston/mb quear/infinity/few others. Their going to work awesome. Not many eclipse dealers however..I got mine at tweeter

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 06:58 AM
I am a Motherfucker

Re: Brand

Quote:
Originally posted by sassystang
I dont think there is a CHEAP speaker that is HIGH QUALITY.
Dish out the extra bucks, itll be worth it in the long run.
Currently, Im sold on kicker solocarics. 1 cubic foot required for a 15 in woofer.450 bucks and 1000w peak.
On the other side, Cerwin Vega makes a stroker speaker. 750 bucks and 2000 w peak.
I know thats alot of watts tp find but you can make 1 speaker sound like 4 conventional speakers. Ex JL audio.(dont like)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 09:31 AM
Hustlin'

Close your eyes, trust your ears.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement