Amp shuts off - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Race Tracks have Corners?

Post Amp shuts off

I have two Kicker Comp VR subs in my car powered by a PG XS2300 amp in my car. after about 15 minutes of listening to some hard bass music at full blast, the subs shut off, and the light is not on on the amp. What causes this, and is it messing up my stereo?

Blake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 10:16 PM
Time Served

Most of the time when that happens it is too much heat. Most newer amps have a thermal breaker to shut them down when they have been worked too hard. First priority is good power supply. The biggest and shortest cable you can get. The ground cable is very important too. It needs to be no longer than 12 inches and connected to a good clean chassis ground. I emphasize clean. Bare metal is the key. Try those things and it should help the situation. As far as the deck there is no problem.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 11:24 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by SlvrLX56:
I have two Kicker Comp VR subs in my car powered by a PG XS2300 amp in my car. after about 15 minutes of listening to some hard bass music at full blast, the subs shut off, and the light is not on on the amp. What causes this, and is it messing up my stereo?

Blake
One other thing to check, what is the the impedance of the woofers, (4 or 8 ohm)? If the subs are 4ohms and they are wired in parallel and the amp is bridged your amp is going to shut down. Even though the PG amp is rated at 2ohm mono stable in this heat it is going to shut down.
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement