Hey..couple questions for James.. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
iHustle

Post Hey..couple questions for James..

I am thinking of setting up a different sub....a 12, possibly in a ported box. Have you ever used a AudioMobile MASS DVC 12?? The looks like it is getting awesome reviews over @ SoundDomain......but, I haven't heard it personaly.

Also, have you every delt with Image Dynamic Horns? They offer a HCLD Component set with horns and a 8 inch Midbass for the doors. I would love to hear some before i buy them, because I heard their sound is unique. Let me know what you think!!!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2001, 10:41 PM
Hired Hand

Chris,
I have not personally heard the Automobile Mass and quite honestly have never heard of it, but I will so some research and let you know.
As far as going with a ported box, are you looking for sound quality or volume? The reason I ask is that the sound quality of sealed is far superior to ported. Every enclosure has ups and downs.
Sealed is very accurate and small but needs a lot of power
Ported is at least 3db louder, needs less power but is larger and not as accurate
Bandpass is very loud but inaccurate and very large
If I remember correctly you have hella power, if you are going for sound quality (I am assuming you are ie...ID horns), I would suggest sealed.
About the horns, these got very popular in the ninties in the competition circut. My experience is that they sound very good to a RTA (real time ananlizer) but leave something to be desired to the human ear. Conventional speakers sound better to ME. That being said, ck out what I replied to Jose's post about front speakers. As far as ID mids and subs go, I think they are some of the best I have heard.
If you are looking for more output from your subs, ck out the new Kicker Solobarics, decent sound quality sealed, and unbelievable output ported (needs lots of power though).
James

[This message has been edited by 89lx5.0 (edited 05-30-2001).]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 06:36 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

You want an awsome sub that will last for ever go with the FOCAL Utopia WX series....

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
iHustle

Hey James, do you have any customer cars I could listen to horns in??? I would really like to get a listen before I make the switch. I have heard you either love or hate them...soooo If I don't end up getting them, I will just keep my perfects. They sound good...I was just looking to gain the nice 8 up front and some awesome clarity.

As for the subs...do you still work @ the arlington store??? I will stop by someday and we can look over everything and see what you think.

Chris
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 09:57 PM
Hired Hand

Chris,
I don't know of anyone that is currently using horns but I will get with my head tech and see if he might know someone.
I am still working at the north Arlington store, if you want to come by just e-mail or pm me first and we can set up a time.
James
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 11:30 PM
aka onlya302

I would hafta agree about the horns, I built my own horns, and ran a set of 8's in the kick panels of my 93, it had a very flat curve but didn't sound very well at all. If you are gonna toss that much cash down on some good mid's/high's I would definitely run a set of Dynaudio's IMHO you can't get a better sound.

------------------
Chris Johnson

85 Merkur XR4Ti
93 Mustang Lx 377
97 F-150

http://personal.ayrix.net/~johnson/

Speed is my drug, there is NO cure!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
iHustle

Just let me know if you find some I can listen to!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 10:02 PM
Hired Hand

Chris,
I have not forgot about you, I have been trying to find someone who still uses horns.
My head tech (Chad Claus) did a car several years ago that had horns, he is pretty sure that a guy that works at one of the Hawk stores just bought it. NE1 know this guy? The car is a 199something Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, the owners name was Scott Sheppard.
I am pretty sure, if we can find the car, I can get them to let you give it a listen.
James
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
iHustle

Sounds good.....I would really like to take a listen. Seems like you either love them or hate them, so I need to get a listen before I decide My main thing right now is Subs, and I need new ones I have the 2000 GMC extended cab, and I am looking at running 2 12's. What kinda boxes have you built for those? Let me know! The last boxes you had built for me where badass....quality was top notch!
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement