what speakers? (home theater) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

what speakers? (home theater)

I'm looking to upgrade speakers on my home theater system, the only thing I'm keeping from what I have now is the Denon AVR-2311 7.1 Receiver and Klipsch SW-450 Sub. I'm not attached to any certain brand but need a good center channel, 2 floor/tower speakers, and the rears/mids. Looking to spend $2000 or less, anyone know first hand what specific speakers sound good in this range? Also, anyone know of any dealers or hookups? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM

I just bought some Inifinity Classias and I'm really happy with them. The hard core audiophiles may have better options, but these sound great to me. I use the sytem mostly for gaming and movies, but it supports music and stuff like the news just fine... I'm not sure exactly how much power they can handle - they scream at about a third of the way up for me.

Here are a couple of reviews:

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/image...QR2_review.pdf

http://stereos.about.com/od/stereosp...finityC336.htm

Front towers: 290 a piece

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Class...513307&sr=8-10

Center: 150 (or 499 for the black one)

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Class...9513307&sr=8-5

Surround option 1 - 499 each (I paid 199 a month ago - their pricing has been all over the place)
These have two sets of inputs on them, and can be used in a 5.1 system, or as rear surround and center surrounds in a 7.1 - Basically two of the speaker below in the same cabinet.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-C255E...d_bxgy_e_img_c

Surround option # 2 - 100 a piece - its like the speaker above but cant support 2 channels by itself - would need 4 for 7.1 surround. Probably the better option for your setup if you are going to use your 7.1 and have a space to put the 2 addtl speakers and because the price went up on the ones above.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Class...p_ob_e_title_3

I did not match the color on mine because I bought the cheapest model of each that was available at the time. With a $5 roll of black gloss contact paper, they will match just fine, and I still saved $700.

Last edited by 49522; 11-11-2010 at 03:27 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 PM
dead

i like infinity. i typically prefer them to most of the mainstream consumer brands like polk audio due to sound characteristics. i do say that loosely though, since different models of speakers even within the same brands differ dramatically.

drop by a best buy or frys and take a listen to a few brands. a quick listen of the same source will reveal a lot.

also check out some higher price point stuff at kellum, star power, and modia if you have time.

oh dont rule out internet only companies. a lot of brands out there like htd, elemental designs that make pretty nice stuff for good prices.

that being said, personally if i was spending $2000 on speakers, i'd buy used and seek out a higher end brand. spend about $1700 on the fronts and center then use the other $300 for the rears. you can probably find some paradigm reference v4 series speakers in that range that would have sold new for over $4000.

Last edited by momo stallion; 11-11-2010 at 05:34 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Dont Be Stupid

i have definitive technology and love them

95 gt - Work in progress...306,TFS heads,Holley systemax II,--It's Alive..After 3 years

2000 S-10 ZR2...Needs tires and a lift bad
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Blood Junky

I have a Tannoy Eyirs center channel speaker and Tannoy sensys towers matched with two 8" subs. I got them from this guy. I dontt know if you could get tannoy for the money you listed, but he would know good stuff to fit your budget.

www.dfwims.com

94 Cobra-Finally runs, sorta
02 F250
04 GT
06 Raptor 350
02 Raptor 660

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Public Melt Down

Infinity is by far the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I think his point is that the fish got low balled, fucked in the catfish asshole and you paid half price. The worst part was the fish explaining to his fish friends why his asshole smelled like redneck.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame Canada View Post
The best what?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame Canada View Post
You need to hear the martin logan clx series (really any of their products). But at a paltry 22k a speaker, most of us only use those in the guest house or in the Gulfstream...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 03:29 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

I've listened to Infinity, Usher and PSB and the PSBs were probably the best I've heard, followed by Usher, then the inferior Infinity. PSB and Usher would more than likely be out of that 2k price range though, unless you scored a great deal on used speakers, which is not a bad option to go.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Big Rooster Racing

seriously about 7 years ago i bought a set of those boot leg Audiofile 583LRs from a pawn shop for cheap.....and they are by far worth their money. The were supposed to be products from the white van at the gas station scam but im by far impressed with the quality of them. i beat the snot out of them and they still to this day handle the abuse and sound clean.

BIG ROOSTER RACING , we aint cluckin around !
RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN ...... AND WIRING GURU
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Lifer

I need some decent speakers. Great suggestions up in heera.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Time Served

i am a definitive technology fan. i love mine

00 Excursion PSD tuned and bolt-ons (very quick for 5ton truck )
03 Toyota Prius "MarioKart"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

i bought a yamaha complete surround kit from best buy about 6 months ago, and thus far has been a great kit! Only paid like $500 for it, came with the receiver, 4 surround, one center and a sub.. but for 2k holy hell batman thats a lot for just speakers!! id look into maybe bose or infinity. I have never been disatisfied with either brand..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement