In wall wiring for surround sound, home theater - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

In wall wiring for surround sound, home theater

I'm in the process of installing the terminal block, etc, to hide all the wiring in the walls. My question is this. I bought 16 gauge 4 conductor wire (HiFi Works) from Fry's. So it's 4 coated 16 gauge wires, in a plastic sleeve (red, white, black, green). Seems to me that 16 gauge wire really wouldn't be thick enough, but I don't know shit about this. Should I double up on the wiring, and run say two to each positive terminal, and two to each negative terminal? Or should I run all four to each positive, then another four to each negative? If I were to do it 4 to each, it may pose a problem as all wire ends will be banana clips, and getting all four wires to fit in one banana clip may be a big task.

I know with car audio the thicker the gauge the better, wouldn't it be the same with home audio?

My current setup is an Onkyo 606, Polk RT10s, CS3, PSW505. I haven't bought the rear speakers yet. Keep in mind, I will be going bigger soon. I've been nothing but frustrated with my Onkyo receiver, and will likely be going pre/pro in the near future. I don't want to restrict this in any way, or have to redo anything once the sheetrock is back up. TIA for suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM
is chilaxing

I'm no pro or anything, but I would just do 2 to each side. When I ran my surround, I ran roughly 25-30ft of 14awg. Not sure how big you want to go later and the distance.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Lifer

Wireless speakers

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Lifer

Im with you on thinking bigger is better. I'm sure 16 gauge may be ok for low amperage setups but I would double it up. I ran 10 gauge on mine. It was a pita though but I went behind the baseboards so that's why. Better safe than sorry but I'm not a serious audiophile.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM
is chilaxing

It would equal to about 13awg wire if you double up which would be plenty if you upgraded in future.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Founding Member

If you already have that wire I would run 2 to pos and 2 to neg
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
lol, this place sucks now

16ga is fine. 14ga would be better, but 16ga is gonna work just fine. No need to double it up.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwrkOrangeS4 View Post
16ga is fine. 14ga would be better, but 16ga is gonna work just fine. No need to double it up.
Interesting. 16 gauge was the largest they had at Fry's, and after looking online 16 gauge seemed to be the standard.

It wouldn't hurt anything to double up, would it? I've got more than enough wire, and will have plenty left over, even if I were to double up.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Interesting. 16 gauge was the largest they had at Fry's, and after looking online 16 gauge seemed to be the standard.

It wouldn't hurt anything to double up, would it? I've got more than enough wire, and will have plenty left over, even if I were to double up.
Hedge your bets and triple up!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:40 PM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:

Wouldn't hurt anything, but I don't think the benefits are worth the extra (although minimal) effort. I'm sure a true audiophile would tell you that the twists per inch would cause acoustical phasing issues from doubling up, but I'm not sure I'd worry too much about it.

All that being said, I would just run the 16ga, wire up the black and red wires, and call it done.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM
dead

i say double up.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:43 AM
Lifer

Another vote for don't double up. !6awg is pretty standard 14 awg is better but you won't really see the improvement imho!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 06:24 AM
Lifer

You're not pushing that much power through the rear channels. 16 ga. will be fine.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up View Post
You're not pushing that much power through the rear channels. 16 ga. will be fine.
Its not just the rears that I am wiring up. I'm wiring the whole thing. Towers, center, sub, cat5, coax, etc. I'm going to see what a 100' spool of 14 gauge would cost me. I'll either scrap or try to sell what's left of the 16 ga.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Lifer

I pre-wired my room with 12 guage. I DO think wire makes the difference, especially when pushing it a good distance. I used 150' of it in my 16x15 media room. By the time you go up a 10' wall and across the ceiling a couple of times, it makes sense. Once that wire is there, it's there forever, so I probably spent a little more than necessary.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 PM
Lifer

I've had great luck with 16 gauge Monster XP speaker wire. Even on long throws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Lifer

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I ran this for my home theater and it is great quality, inwall rated and perfect for longer runs. Probably overkill, but cheap insurance.

generic signature
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark04 View Post

I ran this for my home theater and it is great quality, inwall rated and perfect for longer runs. Probably overkill, but cheap insurance.

Thanks Mark, that's a steal at that price. I think I paid $129 for my 100 feet of 4 conductor 16 gauge. It's really all Frye's had. They did have shorter rolls, but all were 4 conductor and all were 16 gauge.

I'm about to place an order for the 12 gau. Before I do, I have another question. I ordered all the banana clips from monoprice a while back, but they didn't come with the plastic compression rings. I've looked all over the site, and can't find any. For instance, the GE brand that Home Depot sells have plastic compression rings that help hold the wire in tight. Problem with this, is they are $6 for a package of two. I don't want to spend $100 or more on just the banana clips. Will I be fine without the compression ring? Should I solder? The ones I bought say no solder required. Here is the link to the ones I bought.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Thanks Mark, that's a steal at that price. I think I paid $129 for my 100 feet of 4 conductor 16 gauge. It's really all Frye's had. They did have shorter rolls, but all were 4 conductor and all were 16 gauge.

I'm about to place an order for the 12 gau. Before I do, I have another question. I ordered all the banana clips from monoprice a while back, but they didn't come with the plastic compression rings. I've looked all over the site, and can't find any. For instance, the GE brand that Home Depot sells have plastic compression rings that help hold the wire in tight. Problem with this, is they are $6 for a package of two. I don't want to spend $100 or more on just the banana clips. Will I be fine without the compression ring? Should I solder? The ones I bought say no solder required. Here is the link to the ones I bought.

Just install without the rings - the Monoprice bananna plugs do not offer any strain relief, but the price is right. - I also had a couple that were loose.

generic signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement