Custom Fiberglass (for Car Audio) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Custom Fiberglass (for Car Audio)

Anyone ever done any custom fiberglass work, or had it done locally?

If so, got pics? Prices? Tips?

I'm at that point in my setup, and I'm seriously considering going at it myself. At the same time, I might pay to have it done if I found someone who does good work for the right price. Mainly door panels, but it could progress to a center console or some type of radical enclosure and/or amp rack later on.

I know asking here is a long shot, but I'm also tired of looking at the same thread titles for weeks at a time, so what the heck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Extreme Clean!

PM Danny (1fastranger) He can turn out some nice work.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Time Served

I've had some work done(no fiberglass)at Elite Ridez in Cedar Hill. The guy that owns the place does the installs. He has been in the business a long time and is very knowledgeable. He does great work and the prices are good.

None of the work I had done involved fiberglass simply because of the cost. It's expensive no matter who does it. I preferred to stay away from it and didn't need it at the time. I will end up however with a second set of components in the future and will probably have him do some fiberglass work on my door panels.

You should give him a call or go to his shop. He's a really good guy and loves talking car audio.

http://zierbox.com/main.html

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Crackalack!

Jared, I actually tried my hand at this on my last vehicle. It had a small space behind the seat for a sub box that required using (2) 8's and molding the back of the box to fit the shape of the cab. I used fiberglass mat, and resin to make it. It was messy as shit, but kinda fun to try. I've watched those guys doing it on The Discovery Channel, so I was pretty sure I could do it! LOL!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
PM Danny (1fastranger) He can turn out some nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles2suprbowl View Post
I've had some work done(no fiberglass)at Elite Ridez in Cedar Hill. The guy that owns the place does the installs. He has been in the business a long time and is very knowledgeable. He does great work and the prices are good.

None of the work I had done involved fiberglass simply because of the cost. It's expensive no matter who does it. I preferred to stay away from it and didn't need it at the time. I will end up however with a second set of components in the future and will probably have him do some fiberglass work on my door panels.

You should give him a call or go to his shop. He's a really good guy and loves talking car audio.

http://zierbox.com/main.html
Will do. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hatton View Post
Jared, I actually tried my hand at this on my last vehicle. It had a small space behind the seat for a sub box that required using (2) 8's and molding the back of the box to fit the shape of the cab. I used fiberglass mat, and resin to make it. It was messy as shit, but kinda fun to try. I've watched those guys doing it on The Discovery Channel, so I was pretty sure I could do it! LOL!
So how did it turn out? Got any pics? Any lessons learned that you can pass down to another beginner?

I'm really leaning towards trying it myself. I've done so much on this truck with my own hands, that I would love to be able to say I did that part, as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Crackalack!

I just dug around and wasn't able to find any pics. It wasn't bad. It just takes a while to let the resin dry, apply additional coats and let them dry, etc. I used a bondo type filler to smooth it all out and sand it down before painting it. Just requires some patience and a good dropcloth!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Back To Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hatton View Post
Just requires some patience and a good dropcloth!
And one hell of a respirator! Shit smells...you can get loopy in no time.

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Resident Epicurean

Jared, I've done fiberglass repair, but I've never done anything from scratch. I'd be more than willing to lend a hand if you need it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Jared, I've done fiberglass repair, but I've never done anything from scratch. I'd be more than willing to lend a hand if you need it!
Word!

Where is a good place to get the materials locally?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Word!

I've done a few myself.

You can get it all at Home Depot and Wal Mart

Home Depot
3/4 mdf
drywall screws
fiberglass resin
Nitrile Gloves
Wood glue

Wal_Mart
Fleece material
containers
cheap brushes

There are different ways to build it, depending on if the body is mostly wood, or if the body itself needs to be fiberglass in order to fit a space (such as a spare tire enclosure).

If the body is wood, then the fleece stretches tightly over the open area and staples to the wood along all the perimeters and mounting rings.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Word!

English Color, Finishmaster, etc. You'll need mat, resin, a filler, and a topcoat. I always used FE products (Fiberglass Evercoat). I haven't used any of their new lines. What I used was called Tiger Hair, Kitty Hair, etc for the filler.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=39
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=38

EZ Sand and Metal Glaze for topcoats (EZ sand is what would likely be recommended, for this application)

http://www.evercoat.com/productCategory.aspx?cat=1

Resin
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=20

EW or someone else might be able to provide more insight in to the mat. There are several different types. I don't know which would be best for what you are trying to do.

English Color should have all this stuff stock. And if you don't have a compressor, I'd highly recommend getting one (not a small one either). If you're going for a look like a lot of the glass boxes I've seen, it will require a lot of sanding. It could all be done by hand, but it's more work that way. Regardless, you'll only be able to do up to a certain point with a DA, then you'll have to go by hand the rest of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement